The Student Room Group

Should I do a Two year diploma or degrre for Operating department practitioner?

HI. I am puzzled whether to do a diploma or degree for operating department practioner. which would be better? I know one is quicker but is the degree version worth it as ive seen you can get higher pay. I also don't know if i should wait a year and do it it through the RAF. Any advice would help. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Sxan
HI. I am puzzled whether to do a diploma or degree for operating department practioner. which would be better? I know one is quicker but is the degree version worth it as ive seen you can get higher pay. I also don't know if i should wait a year and do it it through the RAF. Any advice would help. Thanks.

The diploma courses are being phased out now so you'd be competing with odps with degrees for jobs and post grad courses, the pay is the same between diploma and degree, both start at band 5. If you have the physical fitness and aren't planning on doing a post-grad course then the RAF is a viable option.
Reply 2
Original post by ODPSCP
The diploma courses are being phased out now so you'd be competing with odps with degrees for jobs and post grad courses, the pay is the same between diploma and degree, both start at band 5. If you have the physical fitness and aren't planning on doing a post-grad course then the RAF is a viable option.

HI, thanks for your reply. Im probably gonna do a degree than join the RAF after since the RAF only does the diploma.
As above I believe I read the diplomas are being phased out so you're probably best off getting the degree right off the bat. It's just one year longer, and also you'll have a full degree to fall back on if you decide to leave the healthcare sector :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
As above I believe I read the diplomas are being phased out so you're probably best off getting the degree right off the bat. It's just one year longer, and also you'll have a full degree to fall back on if you decide to leave the healthcare sector :smile:

Thank you for your reply! I’ve chosen a university already and hope to be confirmed a place soon.
Reply 5
Original post by Sxan
Thank you for your reply! I’ve chosen a university already and hope to be confirmed a place soon.

Hi Sxan. Did you take up your place for the ODP? How has the first year gone? I’m thinking of doing this course? Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Lala_brit
Hi Sxan. Did you take up your place for the ODP? How has the first year gone? I’m thinking of doing this course? Thanks

Sorry for late response. I did take the offer. First year was kinda like A level things you learn such as the A&P. It was definitely overwhelming though as I never had any medical experience. All I can say is make sure to be as practical as you can and study hard. The mentors will question you a lot. The assignments weren’t too bad in first year. I did a poster, PowerPoint, essay osce. But just do your best anyways to get the best feedback.

Quick Reply

Latest