The Student Room Group

Need help/advice with A-Levels!

Hi all!
I have to finialise my A-Level choices by next week and I am so conflicted!
I'm currently studying the usual GCSEs/IGCSES with English Literature, English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and R.E.. For my options I am taking History, Geography, Geology and French.

So far in my GCSEs, I am and always have enjoyed English Literature and History but I am not too keen on Geography, Geology and French and I deeply regret not studying Drama (we had to study French).

So far, I am definitely thinking about taking: English Literature, History and Drama and Theatre Studies for A-Levels. I don't mind a large amount of essays and I am prepared to work although I do get tired very easily, especially after being disagnosed with ME/CFS last year but I'm working through it.

I want to be an actress one day (a difficult profession, I know) and I am considering either taking Film Studies AND/OR Classical Civilizations for my fourth or fifth A-Level.

So everyone, what I'm asking is: Would it be too much work with the subjects I have chosen for five A-Levels, would I ever have any free time? Is Classical Civilisations good and enjoyable? How much work is it and is it regarded well by Unis? Is Film Studies a good A-Level? Is it enjoyable and would it be of any use of someone who wanted to train professionally to be an actress?

Thank you all so much for reading this and all advice is much appreciated!!! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia
Hi all!
I'm currently studying the usual GCSEs/IGCSES with English Literature, English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and R.E.. For my options I am taking History, Geography, Geology and French.

So far in my GCSEs, I am and always have enjoyed English Literature and History but I am not too keen on Geography, Geology and French and I deeply regret not studying Drama (we had to study French).

So far, I am definitely thinking about taking: English Literature, History and Drama and Theatre Studies for A-Levels. I don't mind a large amount of essays and I am prepared to work although I do get tired very easily, especially after being disagnosed with ME/CFS last year but I'm working through it.

I want to be an actress one day (a difficult profession, I know) and I am considering either taking Film Studies AND/OR Classical Civilizations for my fourth or fifth A-Level.

So everyone, what I'm asking is: Would it be too much work with the subjects I have chosen for five A-Levels, would I ever have any free time? Is Classical Civilisations good and enjoyable? How much work is it and is it regarded well by Unis? Is Film Studies a good A-Level? Is it enjoyable and would it be of any use of someone who wanted to train professionally to be an actress?

Thank you all so much for reading this and all advice is much appreciated!!! :smile:

If possible do both. If you can only do one then unis like Classical Civilization more so pick that.
Reply 2
Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia
Hi all!

I also wish that I did Drama at GCSE, which is why I am taking it for A-Level! :biggrin:

I don't really recommend you take 5 A-Levels unless you are willing to lose 4-5 hours of your time every night! If you end up deciding to do 4 I would say Classical Civilisations is the best as Film Studies is not very well regarded as a subject and lots of universities do not accept it.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Thank you all very much! In the end, my school's sixth form offered Classics as a new A-Level and all Sixth Formers have to choose an extension study just to broaden our learning and Film Studies was offered as a non-examined recreational exam! So in the end, I did choose Classics as my fourth A-Level and Film Studies as a recreational thing!

Thank you everyone for your help!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest