The Student Room Group

How do I decide my A-levels?

Hello there!

I've recently began thinking a bit more about A-levels, and I'm looking for some advice regarding which ones to choose. Originally I thought I'd just pick Maths, Further Maths and Computer science, but now I'm not so sure. Recently I've become a lot more interested in languages, German in particular, though my school only does Spanish. I don't think I'd be interested in doing Spanish further than A-level though. I'm considering 2 different 6th forms still, only one of which would let me do German in. The other subject I'd be interested in doing is physics, though I'd probably prefer German than physics. In my mocks, I've gotten 9s in maths and physics, but only a 7 in Spanish. My school doesn't do Computer science, so I was unable to do it, but I have been looking at coding quite a lot outside of school. I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can offer on the subject, because I feel really lost about it all.

Thanks!
Original post by WinnifredTheFrog
Hello there!

I've recently began thinking a bit more about A-levels, and I'm looking for some advice regarding which ones to choose. Originally I thought I'd just pick Maths, Further Maths and Computer science, but now I'm not so sure. Recently I've become a lot more interested in languages, German in particular, though my school only does Spanish. I don't think I'd be interested in doing Spanish further than A-level though. I'm considering 2 different 6th forms still, only one of which would let me do German in. The other subject I'd be interested in doing is physics, though I'd probably prefer German than physics. In my mocks, I've gotten 9s in maths and physics, but only a 7 in Spanish. My school doesn't do Computer science, so I was unable to do it, but I have been looking at coding quite a lot outside of school. I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can offer on the subject, because I feel really lost about it all.

Thanks!

You say, "I don't think I'd be interested in doing Spanish further than A-level though." This suggests that you'd thought beyond A levels, which is absolutely what you need to do. Ideally, you need to think beyond university too (if that's what you were thinking of doing after A levels).

If you can find a job, or a type of job, which you think you might enjoy, then you can establish what degree (if any) would help you secure that job. You can then establish what A levels would help you gain entry to that degree. This "working backwards" approach gets you part-way there.

You also need to consider what subjects you're good at and what subjects you enjoy. (There's not point deciding you'd like to be a vet and working backwards to establish that taking some sciences at A level would be a good plan, if you're lousy at sciences.)

If the complication of which six forms offer which subjects wasn't there, which subjects would you choose?
Hello there!

Thanks!

your gcse grades are all good so my one word of advice would be choose the A-levels you know you can achieve the best grades in. it also helps to have a degree in mind in case there are any subject entry requirements
Original post by DataVenia
You say, "I don't think I'd be interested in doing Spanish further than A-level though." This suggests that you'd thought beyond A levels, which is absolutely what you need to do. Ideally, you need to think beyond university too (if that's what you were thinking of doing after A levels).

If you can find a job, or a type of job, which you think you might enjoy, then you can establish what degree (if any) would help you secure that job. You can then establish what A levels would help you gain entry to that degree. This "working backwards" approach gets you part-way there.

You also need to consider what subjects you're good at and what subjects you enjoy. (There's not point deciding you'd like to be a vet and working backwards to establish that taking some sciences at A level would be a good plan, if you're lousy at sciences.)

If the complication of which six forms offer which subjects wasn't there, which subjects would you choose?

Hi! Thanks for the reply!

I'm not really sure about doing a degree, but I think I'd quite like to get a job involved in software development. So obviously A-level German isn't going to help much, but I've quite enjoyed learning some outside of school. That being said, I don't think I'd want to pick it over Maths, Further Maths or Computer Science. I know some people take 4 A-levels, usually to drop one; would it be a bad idea to take German as a fourth A-level? I know the workload might be a lot, but I'm really indecisive and I could always drop one if necessary. Or am I being stupid about considering German if it won't help for jobs?
It's 2 years don't overthink it just pick something you're good at and like
Hi! Thanks for the reply!

I'm not really sure about doing a degree, but I think I'd quite like to get a job involved in software development. So obviously A-level German isn't going to help much, but I've quite enjoyed learning some outside of school. That being said, I don't think I'd want to pick it over Maths, Further Maths or Computer Science. I know some people take 4 A-levels, usually to drop one; would it be a bad idea to take German as a fourth A-level? I know the workload might be a lot, but I'm really indecisive and I could always drop one if necessary. Or am I being stupid about considering German if it won't help for jobs?

Software development is one of those odd careers when experience is extremely important (more so than qualifications in many cases), but it's often easier to get that experience in the first place if you have a degree behind you. (So you need the degree if you don't have experience, but once you have experience, you don't need the degree.)

The thing universities almost always want to see for a Computer Science degree is Maths. They don't tend to care about Computer Science at A level, oddly. Having said that, the vast majority of students who take Computer Science at degree level will have studied it at A level, so if you didn't take it you might feel "behind the curve".

If you enjoy German and want to study it for fun, then by all means study it as a fourth A level alongside Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. The German won't help you with uni applications and in all likelihood won't help you work-wise either - but those aren't the reasons you'd be taking it. As you say, if the workload got a much you could always drop it. Alternatively, you could continue learning it outside school, as you do now. That might give you more control over the workload (as you could scale-up and scale-down as your other commitments varied).

Quick Reply

Latest