The Student Room Group

Will I still be able to get into a good uni if I do my a levels over 3 years?

I didn't get the grades I wanted last year, but this year I am doing really well (got 90+% raw mainly). I a was wondering, if I redeem myself
And get AAAa or something similar, would is till be able to go to a good university? I am supposed to get additional time in exams, but last year I didn't, and I should have, would universities take this into account, as it lead to me not finishing the papers and therefore not scoring greatly.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Many 'top' Unis (and especially for competitive subjects) won't accept retakes. Their reasoning is if you need a second run up, you lack the intellectual ability for their Uni and/or a demanding subject.

Extra time gets given by exam boards for identified assessed special needs. Universities wont give that a second time. If you can't hit the grades, 'top' Unis aren't interested. That's why they are 'top' Unis.
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Many 'top' Unis (and especially for competitive subjects) won't accept retakes. Their reasoning is if you need a second run up, you lack the intellectual ability for their Uni and/or a demanding subject.

Extra time gets given by exam boards for identified assessed special needs. Universities wont give that a second time. If you can't hit the grades, 'top' Unis aren't interested. That's why they are 'top' Unis.

I'm doing a2 physics this year for the first time and doing really well though, so if I can get an A in that first time along with my retake subjects surely that will show to universities that I am capable, I've heard of people getting into Oxbridge after doing their a levels over 3 years and that's just because of laziness in the first year.
Reply 3
Just try Oxbridge if you really wanna go there....

Just don't be surprised if they reject you on the basis 3 years to complete them.

Why do you get extra time? If it's something like dyslexia then you can get a form signed by teachers etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
It took me three years, and I got in to UCL and King's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Jkizer
Just try Oxbridge if you really wanna go there....

Just don't be surprised if they reject you on the basis 3 years to complete them.

Why do you get extra time? If it's something like dyslexia then you can get a form signed by teachers etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I do have a legitimate reason for extra time, it was confirmed when I was at school, I just didn't get it in my exams last year for some reason, I missed out 20 marks worth of question in a 100 mark physics paper and I got a C, could've been an A if I'd had the extra time, I think that, along with me not coming from a school known for amazing results and not coming from a family with a lot of money will make some places consider it with me taking three years. I read something about one person who failed his first year because he was always going out on school nights drinking and stuff but then sorted him self out and got A's and went to oxford, so I, sure if I have a reason they'd at least consider me haha
Original post by JackNorman
Yeah I do have a legitimate reason for extra time, it was confirmed when I was at school, I just didn't get it in my exams last year for some reason, I missed out 20 marks worth of question in a 100 mark physics paper and I got a C, could've been an A if I'd had the extra time, I think that, along with me not coming from a school known for amazing results and not coming from a family with a lot of money will make some places consider it with me taking three years. I read something about one person who failed his first year because he was always going out on school nights drinking and stuff but then sorted him self out and got A's and went to oxford, so I, sure if I have a reason they'd at least consider me haha

What universities and course you looking to apply to? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by theCreator
What universities and course you looking to apply to? :smile:

Not sure what unis yet, not deciding until I get my results this year, but I want to do physics or physical NatSci
Reply 8
yes you should be able to!:smile: probably not oxford or Cambridge though, I'm applying for biomed at 4 good uni's and I had to retake AS! I've had 3 AAB offers so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by shiva300
yes you should be able to!:smile: probably not oxford or Cambridge though, I'm applying for biomed at 4 good uni's and I had to retake AS! I've had 3 AAB offers so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which unis have you applied to? And Well done on the offers so far :smile:
Reply 10
I've applied to Nottingham, York, bath, Exeter and Nottingham Trent as my back up :smile: want to go to York though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I took a year out between AS and A2 due to some personal problems andhad to resit 2 AS exams. I still got offers from Durham and UCL :smile:
cambridge natsci is over if that was the dream but most rg unis probably would consider you providing you meet the grades they require
I didn't get the grades I wanted last year, but this year I am doing really well (got 90+% raw mainly). I a was wondering, if I redeem myself
And get AAAa or something similar, would is till be able to go to a good university? I am supposed to get additional time in exams, but last year I didn't, and I should have, would universities take this into account, as it lead to me not finishing the papers and therefore not scoring greatly.
Thanks.

Maybe not Oxford or Cambridge unless you have really strong mitigating circumstances (such as bereavement, serious illness etc) with written dated proof.
You can still get into really well respected unis for a good course though - I'm in my 3rd year retaking A-levels, and I've applied for Medicine & Biomedical science- got an offer for the latter from Kings and got interviews from 2 other unis for Medicine :smile:
Before you apply anywhere just make sure you contact every uni you're thinking of to find out if they'd consider your application as a resitter, so you can see if they're worth a space on your UCAS form.
Reply 14
Actually, contrary to popular belief, with the exception of medicine, Oxford considers ALL applicants who taken three years to complete their A Levels. They are at no disadvantage. Almost all other universities (except for medicine) accept third year resits as long as you do achieve top grades that time.
Reply 15
I've had to do my A Levels over 3 years (although not due to retaking) and have had offers from Cardiff, Aberdeen and Newcastle, which are pretty decent unis. It might be an idea to try to explain your circumstances in your personal statement or ask your referee to mention it in their reference.
Thanks.

Possibly. In general, Universities don't mind the occasional retake but the magnitude of retakes you're talking about is definitely a cause for concern. However, your special circumstances could make a difference. If I were in your position, I would send a few emails to the admissions departments of the various universities you're thinking of applying to and ask for their take on the matter.
Reply 17
Original post by shiva300
I've applied to Nottingham, York, bath, Exeter and Nottingham Trent as my back up :smile: want to go to York though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been looking at York, I live about an hour away and I've always loved the place, and the uni is meant to be really good for physics too! Have you got an offer from York?:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Chlorophile
Possibly. In general, Universities don't mind the occasional retake but the magnitude of retakes you're talking about is definitely a cause for concern. However, your special circumstances could make a difference. If I were in your position, I would send a few emails to the admissions departments of the various universities you're thinking of applying to and ask for their take on the matter.

Yeah,understand things like bereavement etc affect your exam performance, but what happened to me DIRECTLY affects my exams, I didn't finish them; so I thought that would be taken into consideration.
Reply 19
Probably not Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE but maybe some other RGs and Golden Triangle unis may consider you.

Quick Reply

Latest