The Student Room Group

Views on the ISA

So with the new ISA coursework coming up I wanted to see what people thought of it.
I'm redoing mine because I was not pleased with my result.

I think that the ISA tests more common sense and ability to write clearly as opposed to scientific ability.
As in I think I am fair in my ability in chemistry. I got a mid A in my mocks for it however last year I just about managed to get a B in the ISA. I was on the grade boundary.

I believe its different to the other papers and I don't feel as if its chemistry being tested but that's just what I think and especially as I am not very good at it, this view is likely biased.

Anyway what are your views on the ISA in general?
Reply 1
Original post by Siddhart1998
So with the new ISA coursework coming up I wanted to see what people thought of it.
I'm redoing mine because I was not pleased with my result.

I think that the ISA tests more common sense and ability to write clearly as opposed to scientific ability.
As in I think I am fair in my ability in chemistry. I got a mid A in my mocks for it however last year I just about managed to get a B in the ISA. I was on the grade boundary.

I believe its different to the other papers and I don't feel as if its chemistry being tested but that's just what I think and especially as I am not very good at it, this view is likely biased.

Anyway what are your views on the ISA in general?
I think they're completely useless (in terms of actually helping you gain scientific knowledge anyway). I got 3 A*s in my ISAs last year and quite frankly it has not helped me at all in my A levels. They don't test actual knowledge, rather they test your ability to write an answer that matches a mark scheme. But hey, they are good ways to pick up extra UMS
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TajwarC
I think they're completely useless (in terms of actually helping you gain scientific knowledge anyway). I got 3 A*s in my ISAs last year and quite frankly it has not helped me at all in my A levels. They don't test actual knowledge, rather they test your ability to write an answer that matches a mark scheme. But hey, they are good ways to pick up extra UMS

This. I literally went through the mark scheme before all of my ISAs, learnt it off by heart and got 100% in each one. It's a complete waste of time and the only thing it tests is who's intelligent enough to cheat the system. But I don't really have a right to complain!
Reply 3
Completely agree and sympathise with Siddhart1998 as I was also on B grade boundary so am in a very similar position. I got a borderline A*/A myself in my Biology mock (taken 2 weeks ago), but ended up only scraping a B in my ISA last June and getting lowest in the class, so I have to re-take. I was not the only instance of this happening, 3 others in my class who obtained A*s also got Bs, whereas some people in the bottom set who got Es in the mock only dropped 2 marks in the ISA. I'm obviously going to be slightly bitter but I think they seem to show a mindset of who can take questions very literally and at face value then jump through the subsequent hoops rather than who is actually a good Science student. I don't claim to be an incredible science student but I thought the results were bizarre at times!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
This. I literally went through the mark scheme before all of my ISAs, learnt it off by heart and got 100% in each one. It's a complete waste of time and the only thing it tests is who's intelligent enough to cheat the system. But I don't really have a right to complain!

Any further advice would be appreciated for my re-take!
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile

you did the EMPA, didn't you?

Quick Reply

Latest