The Student Room Group

Best ways of investing money

I'm 20 years old, I'm starting uni in September. Through the past nearly two years i've spent in various jobs, I've saved up just under £8K. What is the best way of me investing this money? I'm not as financially savvy as I need to be, the only thing I really do is put most of the money i earn in a savings account with a small interest rate, I never spend my money. I've got money in an account my parents set up and every now and then I drip feed it its like an ISA or something so there's that.

How reliable is crypto or something like that, i was also thinking of buying a garage or lock up at some point and renting it as my brother has just done that but there's not too many about where i live.
Reply 1
If this is all the money you have then ask yourself how you would feel if you lost it all e.g. on crypto? If you want better returns than the 4% you can get in savings then you would need to be looking at investments - stocks & shares. Start off with some reading. To invest you need to understand at least the basics and what your attitude to risk is.
Work out what you have today - is it an ISA or not and if so is it a cash ISA or S&S ISA.
Becoming a landlord, even of a garage or lockup, comes with admin/hassle and the risk that it stays empty for periods of time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending