The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KirstyG_psbkj
I applied for JB and got allocated to St John's instead, really gutted as I definitely wanted a hill college, and JB was my favourite by miles, but I might have to turn my Durham offer down now which would be gutting :frown: does anyone know if its possible to take a place in their preferred college if someone eg doesnt get their grades in the summer or doesn't put Durham as firm?

Good news and bad news for you. Bad first, it doesn't really work that way, that you "didn't get in" to the college you wanted, there is no waiting list for colleges or anything like that, once allocated it is near impossible to change (you would have to prove that you can't go to your allocated college for some reason, say maybe you were extremely religious and couldn't stand shared sex bathrooms, etc.), and even then you'd just go back in the lottery. I'm not sure if it's the same for undergrad, but for postgrad we could turn down our college offer once and go back into the lottery, but I wouldn't recommend it, John's is REALLY GREAT you don't know where you'll end up if you do that.

The good news: this time last year, I was you. I desperately wanted a bailey college and got allocated Van Mildert, and I was crushed. But people told me that no matter your college you will come to love it, and that couldn't be more true! And John's is truly a gorgeous college with a great location and AWESOME bars, so please don't let this drive you away from Durham!

Hope that helps a little.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi all,

I will start a MSc (politics field) this October and I wonder if someone could help me to chose a college.

I have checked the pictures posted here and I found that Ustinov rooms are rather tiny and most of the members don't even live there which gives me the vibe that most of them spend the time in labs. I considered Ustinov at first because of the discussion clubs but it seems there are not many activities, or at least, not updated at the Durham website.

As I'm a 30 years old woman, I don't want a college with noisy undergrads students... I did had awful memories of noisy roommates in my first year of college and since that I lived outside the campus. Therefore, silence is a must. Other than that, I would like a big room since I spend most of my time studying in the room instead of the library.

Lastly, is there any college that has good discussion clubs besides Ustinov?
Reply 1382
Hi I got an offer yesterday 🙂 I was wondering if anyon knows when I will get a college allocation
HI, I am a international student from Canada, and I just got the conditional offer from Durham for Law M101. When I chose the college, I chose the University College. And I really really want to get in. I haven't got the college allocation yet. But is there any way that I can increase my chance to get into the University college? Do you know how they decide if the student is accepted by the castle? Just want to get into a college that is close to the law school......
Original post by bbbingyaozhou
HI, I am a international student from Canada, and I just got the conditional offer from Durham for Law M101. When I chose the college, I chose the University College. And I really really want to get in. I haven't got the college allocation yet. But is there any way that I can increase my chance to get into the University college? Do you know how they decide if the student is accepted by the castle? Just want to get into a college that is close to the law school......

1) College allocations are random.
2) University college is not close to the law school. It's not FAR (15-20 minute walk) but it's not close either. The closest are Mary's and Grey. Chad's and Cuth's are also both closer to the Palatine Centre (where the law school is based) than Castle.
Original post by Oli-Ol
1) College allocations are random.
2) University college is not close to the law school. It's not FAR (15-20 minute walk) but it's not close either. The closest are Mary's and Grey. Chad's and Cuth's are also both closer to the Palatine Centre (where the law school is based) than Castle.

Thank you. It helps a lot, since it's hard for me to see which college is closer to the law school from the map.:h:
Reply 1386
I applied for Collingwood but got reallocated to St Hild and St Bede.
Does anybody know the end of term procedure- will I have to move out of my room over Christmas and Easter?? Would prefer to stay in Durham over Easter and revise for exams rather than get distracted in London..
Reply 1387
Hey guys,

I was reallocated a college I'm not too fond of but I really want to study in Durham still, is there a way to appeal or maybe wait for clearing type thing to kind of reapply for my original preference? Or at least another college :/
Original post by JJ819
Hey guys,

I was reallocated a college I'm not too fond of but I really want to study in Durham still, is there a way to appeal or maybe wait for clearing type thing to kind of reapply for my original preference? Or at least another college :/

Not really to be honest. Which college are you headed to, which did you want and what's wrong with what you've been allocated?
Reply 1389
Original post by jct1993
Not really to be honest. Which college are you headed to, which did you want and what's wrong with what you've been allocated?

I applied for Josephine Butler mostly because it was ensuite and self catered, but I got reallocated to St. hilde and bede instead. I'd just rather less people, have a private bathroom and be self- catered. (I also liked the idea of formal dinners they have at butler and a few of the other colleges, but hilde doesn't)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JJ819
I applied for Josephine Butler mostly because it was ensuite and self catered, but I got reallocated to St. hilde and bede instead. I'd just rather less people, have a private bathroom and be self- catered. (I also liked the idea of formal dinners they have at butler and a few of the other colleges, but hilde doesn't)

Butler is hugely oversubscribed, unfortunately. I'm sorry that you're unhappy with where you've been allocated.

You're unlikely to be able to change colleges unless you have a medical need, but Hild Bede is a lovely college. It is big, but it has lots of space (inside and out!) and Butler isn't exactly a small college anyway. I can see that if being self-catered is important to you then you might be less keen on the idea of going to Hild Bede, but I would recommend going to the post-offer visit so that you can visit the college properly and get a better idea of the atmosphere.

Hild Bede does have formals a few times a term (about as regularly as Butler). They aren't as formal, and they aren't gowned, but I've been to a couple and they're good fun. There's nothing stopping you making friends at other colleges and going to formals with them, either - I've been to formals at both Butler and Hild Bede and I'm not in either college!
Reply 1391
Original post by Oli-Ol
Butler is hugely oversubscribed, unfortunately. I'm sorry that you're unhappy with where you've been allocated.

You're unlikely to be able to change colleges unless you have a medical need, but Hild Bede is a lovely college. It is big, but it has lots of space (inside and out!) and Butler isn't exactly a small college anyway. I can see that if being self-catered is important to you then you might be less keen on the idea of going to Hild Bede, but I would recommend going to the post-offer visit so that you can visit the college properly and get a better idea of the atmosphere.

Hild Bede does have formals a few times a term (about as regularly as Butler). They aren't as formal, and they aren't gowned, but I've been to a couple and they're good fun. There's nothing stopping you making friends at other colleges and going to formals with them, either - I've been to formals at both Butler and Hild Bede and I'm not in either college!

Thank you, that helped so much! I'm going to the visit day in March so hopefully I get a better idea then😅
I applied the Mary's (the college of my dreams) but have been allocated not only to a college that I, no offence, really don't like the look of but also one that is actually in the process of moving to Durham (the college is Stephenson, which I'm sure is lovely but I know I just won't be happy there). Is there any way to change this situation?
I have an offer for the PHD Law at Durham.

Trying to find a college to apply for that fits this;
a. Near the School of Law
b. Self catered and ensuite.
c. Has a vibrant postgraduate community. I would care less for undergrads honestly.
d. Do not care much for whether it is traditional or modern.

Latest