The Student Room Group

Advantage of being 'average' looking

This is NOT a hating thread, I used to feel so low when I looked at myself as being average looking, but I am sure there must be many advantages of being a plain Jane or an average Joe. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Yes there probably are
Well, there's the advantage that you will always be better at getting into relationships than below-average people.
Reply 3
You won't get prejudged by less than average looking people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When a guy asks you out, it tends to mean he likes you as a person, rather than just likes looking at you.
Reply 5
More likely to get away with crimes maybe? :wink:
I like it because it means that I am usually sure that people are talking to me for *me* rather than because I'm a stunner.
Reply 7
Original post by Maid Marian
Well, there's the advantage that you will always be better at getting into relationships than below-average people.

Oh so you're Maid Marian! Your the one they all talk about.

You seen that thread claiming you are not the person, you make out to be?
Original post by Nerd2
Oh so you're Maid Marian! Your the one they all talk about.

You seen that thread claiming you are not the person, you make out to be?

:s-smilie: PM me if you want to chat, we mustn't derail the thread.
Reply 9
I believe on occasions people are discriminated because of there outstanding beauty, for example an average looking woman, a guy and a beautiful woman all go for a job interview. The person conducting the interview and determining which candidate gets the job is a guy, so he dismisses the option of choosing the beautiful woman because he feels others would think he chose because of her beauty.

That said, I believe there was statistics released recently that concluded good looking people were more likely to be hired over those that weren't, obviously they accounted for the different variables and what not.
People won't assume you're intimidating/out of their league to even approach.
Therefore, you'll probably have more down to earth friends or just won't be a victim of preconceptions as much as a very good looking person would be.

You have the advantage over not so good looking people. People will most likely be more attracted to you (quite an obvious point)

But, you're more likely to be judged by personality than appearance compared to a very good looking individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Being reasonably average myself, I think there are a few advantages. Mind you these are probably advantages that a level headed very attractive person has too:

- a more balanced healthy and realistic view of the world where you have to put effort in to work and relationships
- You don't get continual angst from people you're not in to trying to hit on you
- your friends don't feel immediately threatened by their partners fancying the pants off you.
- your personality, which it the truest aspect of attractiveness, gets its proper place
Reply 12
You get creeped on less.

Its amazing what wearing my glasses does to the amount I get felt up and hit on by older men :\
Reply 13
you won't get as much attention.
you can work on your personality
Reply 14
For a guy there probably isn't much of an advantage..
Reply 15
the only one I can think of at the moment: you may find a really caring partner who won't be with you just because you are a sex bomb :smile:
Reply 16
Many people are average-looking.

I can't see any advantages as such, if looks are solely the only thing we are talking about.
(edited 10 years ago)
Less likely to be groped? (Hotter=more likely to be).
Reply 18
You can fade away into obscurity.
You're treated normally.

I think it's pretty awesome to be honest.
To be normal, and you have no fear of developing an ego.

You have a lot to envy for.
(edited 10 years ago)
-If you're a girl, girls can be quite bitchy when they feel threatened by your looks so you won't have to deal with that
-Men won't shout at you from their cars and vans/beep their horns/wolf whistle
-People won't be nervous around you even though you're friendly
-You won't intimidate potential suitors
-When in a relationship, your partner won't have that annoying 'You're too good for me' attitude
-You're not below average
-Your looks don't really bring attention to you (This is obviously a disadvantage if you like attention)
-People will like you for your personality
-Shallow people will steer clear of you

Quick Reply

Latest