The Student Room Group

Computer Game Degrees - The next big scandal

As a graduate of a computer game-related degree (achieving a high First), it's my opinion that it's a scandal in waiting. Here's why

The courses are predatory in nature, with universities relying on young people's emotional connection with games to get sign-ups. The people signing up for these courses are generally those who are passionate about playing games, and who have no sense of reality of the workplace or prospects later in life.

The courses are mis-sold and statistics surrounding employment within the industry as a graduate are largely fabricated. The university I went to boasted of a 90% industry employment rate post-graduation. This is not true. In a five-year period, I analysed the employment rate of those who went into game-related careers, with less than 2% of all graduates making it into the gaming industry or a related field from my specific industry. In a class of 30 pupils per year, less than one student (on average) will make it in the games industry. According to data, 25% of graduates had no job at all (in any sector).

Poor overall prospects

Post graduation, my university has an expected salary which is considerably less than the UK average. This is mirrored across most game-related studies. The average salary post-university is listed as £19k.

Numbers are being inflated as they push you towards creating an independent studio. A key selling point for most game courses is that many students go on to create their own companies. This is encouraged throughout your time at university as it helps them inflate numbers in employment. I have yet to come across a single graduate team that has made anything close to a successful game. It is nearly impossible for a team of graduates to compete in this sector as they lack experience and the games sector is extremely saturated.

Selling a false dream

They get you to believe you can make it in industry and never provide any insight into the realities of gaining employment in the sector.

Most worryingly, the amount of students I found to be of Additional Learning needs was extremely high in comparison to other courses. They are taking advantage of those who are less fortunate by selling them the game development dream. The entry level seems to be very low, and even those who miserably fail the course are given multiple opportunities to pass.

A Mickey Mouse course

Game related courses should be not eligible for student funding. They provide little to no chance of working in games as a career. Teaching quality is poor and they are ripping off students. They must surely be aware of statistics from graduates, which makes it even worse.

Take a more generic Computer Science course if you are looking to get into the industry. These courses are a scam.
Which university did you attend?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Which university did you attend?
Wrexham University. Although, I have been speaking to people from other universities and it mirrors Wrexham generally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending