The Student Room Group

Cambridge L100 Economics - TMUA to Interview

Hi, I am applying to the L100 Economics course at University of Cambridge for 2024 entry. I recently just sat the TMUA, and I found it quite challenging, possibly the hardest paper out of all the years (or maybe I just messed up hard). May I know what is the average offer holder TMUA score for successful Economics offer holders, or more importantly, what TMUA score Cambridge colleges are looking for a successful interview offer? (I am applying to Selwyn, for context).

I am estimating around 7.0-7.5, most likely. 8.0+ if I am truly lucky (educated guesses FTW).

Thanks very much!
Original post by msplayer
Hi, I am applying to the L100 Economics course at University of Cambridge for 2024 entry. I recently just sat the TMUA, and I found it quite challenging, possibly the hardest paper out of all the years (or maybe I just messed up hard). May I know what is the average offer holder TMUA score for successful Economics offer holders, or more importantly, what TMUA score Cambridge colleges are looking for a successful interview offer? (I am applying to Selwyn, for context).

I am estimating around 7.0-7.5, most likely. 8.0+ if I am truly lucky (educated guesses FTW).

Thanks very much!

Yeah i sat the TMUA and was averaging from a 6.5 to an 8 in past papers and after that i felt like i scored bang average. Ive seen scores of around 5 to get an interview, but i have also seen offer holders score from 5.2to 8.2 in one admissions cycle.
So from that, you can get in with an average score, you just need to ace every other part of the process.

Thanks very much!

I don't know if you know, but 7.0-8.0 is never a 'mess up' but in fact will put you in the top scores, and is a definite interview most likely provided your grades are up to par.

Where else are you applying?
Reply 3
Original post by jobajojoba
I don't know if you know, but 7.0-8.0 is never a 'mess up' but in fact will put you in the top scores, and is a definite interview most likely provided your grades are up to par.

Thanks for the clarification, as well as the other one above. I’m also applying to Imperial EFDS, and Econs at LSE, UCL, and Warwick.

Thanks for the clarification, as well as the other one above. I’m also applying to Imperial EFDS, and Econs at LSE, UCL, and Warwick.

Oh wow! Exactly the same choices as me then.

What are your predicted grades and GCSE’s or equivalents like??

Are you home or international?
Reply 5

I'm international.
My predicted grades are 5A*(Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, Computer Science) and I have an A in EPQ.
I sat IGCSE and got 9A*.

What about you?
Reply 6
I'm international.
My predicted grades are 5A*(Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, Computer Science) and I have an Anot in EPQ.
I sat IGCSE and got 9A*.

What about you?

Not op but applying for same courses as you. International also

I'm international.
My predicted grades are 5A*(Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, Computer Science) and I have an A in EPQ.
I sat IGCSE and got 9A*.

What about you?

Ah nice. I’m a home applicant.
Predicted grades are 4A* (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography) - My sixth form doesn’t let anyone do more than 4 a levels, but that said I would’ve never been able to handle 5 anyways jesus fair play 😭😭

GCSE’s were 10A* (8 9’s and 2 8’s) and then an A in FSMQ additional maths which tbf is the max grade u can get since it’s an AS qualification.

Fair play though, those stats are amazing.
How’s your PS like?
Original post by rq29

Not op but applying for same courses as you. International also

Oh nice. What are your grades like?
Reply 9
Predicted grades are 4A* (Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography) - My sixth form doesn’t let anyone do more than 4 a levels, but that said I would’ve never been able to handle 5 anyways jesus fair play 😭😭

GCSE’s were 10A* (8 9’s and 2 8’s) and then an A in FSMQ additional maths which tbf is the max grade u can get since it’s an AS qualification.

How’s your PS like?

I focused on development economics and econometrics, my two great passions within economics. I really like my PS, hopefully the universities do too! I may be a little paranoid about my Econ PS being a little too "mathsy", but I think it genuinely reflect my interest, and I hope that's fine.

What about you?

How’s your PS like?

I focused on development economics and econometrics, my two great passions within economics. I really like my PS, hopefully the universities do too! I may be a little paranoid about my Econ PS being a little too "mathsy", but I think it genuinely reflect my interest, and I hope that's fine.

What about you?

Pretty similar tbf. I had 2 big paragraphs on development economics (mainly inequality and growth), linking them to Econometrics. And then one big paragraph on the maths and statistics topics they teach at uni.

The top unis prefer a ‘mathsy’ personal statement for their Econ courses, since their courses are so much more quantitative - so that won’t be a problem at all and would actually serve as an advantage.
Reply 11
Pretty similar tbf. I had 2 big paragraphs on development economics (mainly inequality and growth), linking them to Econometrics. And then one big paragraph on the maths and statistics topics they teach at uni.

The top unis prefer a ‘mathsy’ personal statement for their Econ courses, since their courses are so much more quantitative - so that won’t be a problem at all and would actually serve as an advantage.

Ah, that's great then! Did you apply to Cambridge too?

I did originally but switched it out since I was not ready for the TMUA😭😭😭would’ve flopped it, and then wasted a choice.

Ended with LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick and Bath - had to have a safety choice in case too.
Reply 13
From Singapore, 4 A* equivalent of A levels.

Did you get an Imperial EFDS interview?
Reply 15

I did originally but switched it out since I was not ready for the TMUA😭😭😭would’ve flopped it, and then wasted a choice.

Ended with LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick and Bath - had to have a safety choice in case too.
Do you have insta?
Original post by KUROYT

Do you have insta?

Yeah - I can PM u it if u want
Reply 17
Do you have insta?

Yeah - I can PM u it if u want
Alright!
Reply 18
hello!
Applied for Bsc Econ!
Im not very confident in my application to LSE, I havent particularly 'prepared' to get into LSE or other top unis (probably should have)
current A-levels are: Maths ,Economics ,Further Maths.
With my current predicted grades being A* A* A as well as achieving a grade A on AS further maths.
I also didnt take the TMUA as i left it a bit late and wouldnt have done extremely well without preparation.

Kind of expecting a rejection, but goodluck to everyone else whos applying !
Reply 19
Original post by rh6a
hello!
Applied for Bsc Econ!
Im not very confident in my application to LSE, I havent particularly 'prepared' to get into LSE or other top unis (probably should have)
current A-levels are: Maths ,Economics ,Further Maths.
With my current predicted grades being A* A* A as well as achieving a grade A on AS further maths.
I also didnt take the TMUA as i left it a bit late and wouldnt have done extremely well without preparation.

Kind of expecting a rejection, but goodluck to everyone else whos applying !

Same haha. We’ve got this in Jesus name 🙏

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending