The Student Room Group

What do you consider "good grades", both at GCSEs and A levels?

Scroll to see replies

All As or above.
Ok so here I go... for me personally
Gcse:
Good:
At least 70% A*/A

Excellent
At least 90% A*/A

A LEVEL

Hmm

A*A*A is nice
or
A*AA

Or

A*A*A*B
depending on how many you're taking
Original post by Exon
TSR: A* in 50 subjects at GCSE and 20 at A-level
Real life: All subjects A*-C at GCSE with more A*/A than not (preferably in core subjects), AAB+ at A-level

No let's be realistic it's 60 subjects if you want to get anywhere.
But really i don't think anyone/many actually thinks that
And also it depends on what and where you want to study.
No point saying it's ok to get a C at gcse if your uni course only wants a's etc?
Reply 24
Original post by anonymouspie227
No let's be realistic it's 60 subjects if you want to get anywhere.
But really i don't think anyone/many actually thinks that
And also it depends on what and where you want to study.
No point saying it's ok to get a C at gcse if your uni course only wants a's etc?

I tried to arbitrarily standardise what is considered 'good'. Obviously in some places it will be higher or lower. For example, my college had lower GCSE requirements but my university course had higher A-level requirements.

To be fair, no one is going to care if you get a C in a remote subject like Food Tech when you're applying for Maths, Law, Chemistry, etc, not even Oxford as long as you have a high A* ratio. Most UK universities only care about the core GCSEs (Maths, English and possibly Science) and the subjects that are relevant to your degree course.
8As/A*s or better
A*A*Ab or better.
Good is entirely relative for each individual, and depends on what they need/expect of themselves.

For me, I would have been satisfied with AAA at A-Level because it was what I needed for my uni course.
The Average at GCSE is 5A*-C , so i'd say 8+Bs and above is good.

Personally , my target is to get 13 GCSE at A/A*. With the exception of one subject.
Reply 28
Ideally As or above at both. A few Bs or so at GCSE is acceptable balanced by A*s, and would expect no less than at least 3As at A level.

Quick Reply

Latest