Name: Kia Watson
Hobbies: Baton Twirling
Where you live: Essex
Current Studying level: As level
What you are studying: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Law
Why you like chem: its interesting
Favourite subject: Psychology and Chemistry
Hero(s): idk

Oh, a new member in Chemistry society? if that is the case, welcome in this club. Can't remember when a member has introduced hisself/herself like you last time. Nice.
Name: Ivan Yankov.
Hobbies: Sports, travelling, music, movies etc.
Where you live: Dobrich, Bulgaria.
Current Studying level: Language High School.
What you are studying: Chemistry, Physics, Maths (previously History, Geography, Philosophy and languages).
Why you like chem: It`s incredible to now how things in nature work and how to manipulate them just using so tiny peaces of matter - atoms and molecules.
Favorite subject: Physics and Chemistry.
Hero(s): Dmitri Mendeleev
Reply 4083
Original post by Kallisto
Oh, a new member in Chemistry society? if that is the case, welcome in this club. Can't remember when a member has introduced hisself/herself like you last time. Nice.

Thanks, I was just reading through while doing work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiaxxx
Thanks, I was just reading through while doing work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for the worm welcome! :smile:
Original post by Ivan Yankov
Name: Ivan Yankov.
Hobbies: Sports, travelling, music, movies etc.
Where you live: Dobrich, Bulgaria.
Current Studying level: Language High School.
What you are studying: Chemistry, Physics, Maths (previously History, Geography, Philosophy and languages).
Why you like chem: It`s incredible to now how things in nature work and how to manipulate them just using so tiny peaces of matter - atoms and molecules.
Favorite subject: Physics and Chemistry.
Hero(s): Dmitri Mendeleev

Yeah, same here. It was really the same reason why my interest in Chemistry was awaken. And it still fascinates me. :smile:
I received 2Cs at gcse dual science, I've taken psychology,sociology,history and business for a levels, do you guys think on top of that I could self teach myself a level biology and chemistry to an A grade standard?
Reply 4087
OCR B salters chem here

are OCR A guides useful? I found this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-Level-Chemistry-for-OCR-A-Student-Book-by-CGP-Books-Paperback-2012-/351504211430?hash=item51d7489de6

seems really good but no one for salters
got the bio one which is good
should i use the chem one for ocr A? or is it too different from ocr B?
a compound of phosphorous and fluorine contains 24.6% by mass of phosphorous. 1.000g of the compound have a volume of 196cm3 at300 k*and 101 kpa. deduce the molecular formula of the compound.
HELP PLSSSSS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by basit282828
a compound of phosphorous and fluorine contains 24.6% by mass of phosphorous. 1.000g of the compound have a volume of 196cm3 at300 k*and 101 kpa. deduce the molecular formula of the compound.
HELP PLSSSSS

Posted from TSR Mobile

To find wheter it is PF3; PF5 or PF u can do a relation between the masses. So you will get 1/3;1/5;1/1 respectively. In order to find the masses you should use these equations: m (P) = m(compound)* W(p) - where m is mass and W is the percentage given. Sorry i don`t know how you call it in English, yet. The second one is: m (F) = m(compound) - m (P). The last one is the relation m(F)/(m(P)=
As an answer i got 3 so i suppose it is PF3.
Please correct : relation - is it correct? what is the mathematical term?
P.S. I usually skip the relation/connection PxFy - n(P):n(f)=x:y
Reply 4090
Name: naj
Hobbies:watching dramas, travelling,variety shows
where you live:Birmingham
Current studying:As level
Subjects:biology chemistry english lit and health and social care.
Why you like chemistry: intresting subject but struggling with formulas and the math side to it.
favourite subject: biology and eng lit
hero(s):idk
Hello there guys , I'm a bit confused on what equations to use for q1 and 2 , is it PV = nRT , ps my a level teacher doesnt explain anything in lesson and its all so confusing , please help
Results:
final volume of carbon dioxide collected/ cm3
trial 1 - 48trial 2 - 52
Analysis
1. Calculate the amount of carbon dioxide, CO2(g), collected in the measuring cylinder. Assume that 1 mol of gas occupies 24 000 cm3 at room temperature and pressure.

2. Copper(II) carbonate basic reacts with sulfuric acid as below:

CuCO3Cu(OH)2(s) + 2H2SO4(aq) ® 2CuSO4(aq) + 3H2O(l) + CO2(g)

Deduce the amount of copper(II) carbonate, CuCO3(s), that reacted.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrTechGamer
Hello there guys , I'm a bit confused on what equations to use for q1 and 2 , is it PV = nRT , ps my a level teacher doesnt explain anything in lesson and its all so confusing , please help
Results:
final volume of carbon dioxide collected/ cm3
trial 1 - 48trial 2 - 52
Analysis
1. Calculate the amount of carbon dioxide, CO2(g), collected in the measuring cylinder. Assume that 1 mol of gas occupies 24 000 cm3 at room temperature and pressure.

2. Copper(II) carbonate basic reacts with sulfuric acid as below:

CuCO3Cu(OH)2(s) + 2H2SO4(aq) ® 2CuSO4(aq) + 3H2O(l) + CO2(g)

Deduce the amount of copper(II) carbonate, CuCO3(s), that reacted.

While it is possible to use that formula, it would just complicate things since you'd need to make sure all of your units are SI. An easier formula to use is:
Moles=Volume/24000

In the question calculating the "amount" means calculating the number of moles. The equation arises from the fact that one mole of a gas occupies 24,000cm3 at room temp/pressure and volume will vary linearly with number of moles :smile:
For the second question, you've worked out moles of CO2 and have the ratio of CO2 to CuCO3 (the equation shows you the stoichiometry of the reaction i.e how many moles of reactant react together to produce how many moles of product) so using this, you should be able to answer the question :smile:
Why via privat message? this is the chemistry society, so let us talk right here! If you are so interest in atoms, you know the sturcture of them in terms of their particles. The nucleus consists of neutrons and protons. These particles consists of quarks, subatomic particles, right? but are there subatomic particles for quarks too?
give me the characteristics of compounds suitable for steam distillation
Name;Tony
Subjects;Physics,Chemistry and Mathematics(A level)
Hobbies;rapping and singing,swimming and all other good stuffs
age;18
Name;Tony
age;18
Hello fellows

I am in a dramatic situation so any help would be greatly appreciated. Could you give me any suggestions of undergraduate courses which I can apply for using Chemistry and Physics as special subjects. I am desperate as most of the courses I like require mathatics and another science subject. Anything related to Chemistry, Physics, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Nanotechnology, Genetics, science and engineering fields are of interest of me. Unfortunatly, only for few of them Chemistry and Physics are eligible for the application.
I hope someone has seen something or knows anything which could brind light in the tunnel.
As I have just learnt this particles hold the protons and neutrons in the nucleus together, like glue. But when you say 'family of bosons' what do you mean exactly? are they related to this subatomic particles in terms of certain haracteristics which are associated with bosons? is that true that bosons are responsible for creating the particles? as far as I know they are moving in a so called higgs field where they are hitting each other, many of them fallen into nothing, just a few are forming to the subatmic particles, the quarks and gluons which are forming and holding the protons and neutrons. Is that right or am I wrong?

Don't sweat it! As chemistry consists of physics too, its okay to talk about physical aspects of this natural science. :wink:
Original post by shady2.0
Name;Tony
age;18

Hello Tony and welcome in this Society! :smile:

Have you any special interest in Chemistry (like Peroxidation in terms of atoms and atomic structures).

Latest