The Student Room Group

How can I plan to manage my time at uni? idk how i will even have time for everything

I'm starting a chemistry course soon and I want to eventually go into computational chemistry, so I have recently picked up coding as well. I picked this course because there is an optional module on advanced computational chemistry, but I enjoy coding so I want to work on it for fun and to get better in advance.

I didn't take CS fully at even GCSE level because I dropped out of it (which I really regret now) and I want to make up for what I missed by developing a good coding skillset so I'll probably join a coding society
or something. But I'll have 12-20 contact hours per week for my course plus all the private study hours on top of that, and I'll need a part-time job so I can actually survive, and then learning to code on the side.

How on earth will I have time to sleep or do anything fun😭
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to go crazy
Original post by dontknowlol

Yes, by doing what you are suggesting.

For now, join a coding society and keep it as a hobby.

Once you finish the academic year, which is usually in June, spend your holidays (3/4 months) properly learning how to code.
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
Yes, by doing what you are suggesting.

For now, join a coding society and keep it as a hobby.

Once you finish the academic year, which is usually in June, spend your holidays (3/4 months) properly learning how to code.

Lol oops, just realised I didn't write "how to not go crazy", thanks for your advice!
Lol oops, just realised I didn't write "how to not go crazy", thanks for your advice!

:smile:

Do also take the optional module as well since you seem really keen on it.
I'm starting a chemistry course soon and I want to eventually go into computational chemistry, so I have recently picked up coding as well. I picked this course because there is an optional module on advanced computational chemistry, but I enjoy coding so I want to work on it for fun and to get better in advance.

I didn't take CS fully at even GCSE level because I dropped out of it (which I really regret now) and I want to make up for what I missed by developing a good coding skillset so I'll probably join a coding society
or something. But I'll have 12-20 contact hours per week for my course plus all the private study hours on top of that, and I'll need a part-time job so I can actually survive, and then learning to code on the side.

Hey!

Whilst I can't help with the specific chemistry/CS concerns, in terms of workload, I would say not to stress too much about your 12-20 contact hours! Even if you have 20, that averages around 4 hours per day (which could leave you with mornings/afternoons free, or even whole days free depending on how your timetable looks), leaving you with time throughout the day to do the coding which you enjoy and to work on the additional study. Also, most weeks you won't have to completely fill your time with additional study, only really when you have assignments due or exams coming up. It seems overwhelming at first, but once you get into the swing of things you have a lot more time than you first realise! :smile:

This will then leave you with evenings and weekends free to sleep/do fun things :biggrin: - then you can also take up a part-time job during some of this time if you want! I'd recommend looking for jobs at your specific uni as a first point of call as they'll be most flexible around study/your social life!

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5

I mean uni is obviously a different world to alevels but hey college contact hours were 20+ and then plus revision and plus weekend part time jobs (for most people). So you can do this! 12-20 hours is quite average for healthcare student contact hours as well (me being about to be one next week) and I believe this can be the same for student teachers and everyone as well and they still find the time to have fun, some are the craziest people as it’s necessary to let loose when you have to dedicate so many hours to learning and concentrating 😂
Make sure to plan your time well and you should realise you have plenty of time to go crazy and have fun with all ur friends. You also don’t have to go crazy learning to code you can take it as slow as you want if it’s in your free time as you have the whole length of your degree to learn! Oh and as others have suggested coding societies would be very useful.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending