The Student Room Group

Best courses at CIN for Film work?

Some background. I want to work in film, as both a Screenwriter and Director. Its so appealling and I love it. I'm writing a screenplay now and the feedback has got me feeling like a kid :biggrin:
I've applied to 5 colleges including City and Islington. The interview is on further and I'm considering:
Media Studies
Film Studies
Photography
Creative Writing
English Language/Literature

Now thats too many courses. I'm trying to think which ones aren't needed so much.
Original post by DebkoX
Some background. I want to work in film, as both a Screenwriter and Director. Its so appealling and I love it. I'm writing a screenplay now and the feedback has got me feeling like a kid :biggrin:
I've applied to 5 colleges including City and Islington. The interview is on further and I'm considering:
Media Studies
Film Studies
Photography
Creative Writing
English Language/Literature

Now thats too many courses. I'm trying to think which ones aren't needed so much.

i applied to city and islington, :smile: got my interview tomorrow - really excited :biggrin:

to answer your question in my opinion i think you should first think about what type of film/s you plan on making in the future. for example if you want to make a film thats set in a certain time in history for example something like 'schindler's list' subjects like geography and history would be good. you should definetly take media studies but some schools make magazines or film trailers for their media studies coursework - so you should ask colleges about this. film studies i wouldn't recommended its seems like the perfect a level to take but there's so much more to film that media studies covers (i do AS media studies making a thriller :wink:) plus if you want to get into a good uni then don't take it.

to get your creative juices flowing i'd say do english litertaure though you could do creative writing, though its a new a level actually creative writing may be better but with english literature you have to do further reading and this would be useful when you need some inspiration.

taking photography would also be useful in learning about using cameras, composition, visual skills.

could also think about taking drama
this seems weird but sociology or psychology - if you want to learn about how mass media works, peoples habits-why they do things (film audience)

most importantly do what you feel you'd be happy doing and subjects that can get you where you need to be.

:colondollar:sorry for writing too much but i hope this helps :wink:
Reply 2
Thanks! I changed my courses to:
English L/L.
Creative Writing.
Photography.
Film Studies.

I've been offered a conditional offer so its pretty good right now! Will decide in summer!

Quick Reply

Latest