The Student Room Group

Am I good for Geology?

Hello everyone, I'm Daniella,
Before starting my a levels I had no idea what I wanted to study at university so I picked different a levels so it could hopefully cover most career paths, that it, English Lit, Geography, Spanish and Maths. I have found out that I really have a passion for Geography and I'm doing quite well in it, getting an A in my recent mock. I've locked at interesting careers Geography can lead to and I've found out that with two sciences I can go into Geology, Maths and Geography (which I have taken) are counted as sciences, so do you think my subjects are good enough for Geology? Should I go for a Geography degree? or should I drop English lit for A2 and pick up an AS in Chemistry?

Please and thanks :smile:
Original post by danimorais
Hello everyone, I'm Daniella,
Before starting my a levels I had no idea what I wanted to study at university so I picked different a levels so it could hopefully cover most career paths, that it, English Lit, Geography, Spanish and Maths. I have found out that I really have a passion for Geography and I'm doing quite well in it, getting an A in my recent mock. I've locked at interesting careers Geography can lead to and I've found out that with two sciences I can go into Geology, Maths and Geography (which I have taken) are counted as sciences, so do you think my subjects are good enough for Geology? Should I go for a Geography degree? or should I drop English lit for A2 and pick up an AS in Chemistry?

Please and thanks :smile:

Hey, your subjects are fine, you've got maths which is great and you have geography which can help. Most unis do a catch up for either students who haven't done maths/physics and for those who haven't done chemistry so you don't need to add stress by picking up an AS in chemistry.

Bear in mind that since most people haven't done geology at school before coming on to the geology course, while it's not heavily demanded, admission tutors want to see that you know the difference between geog and geol, make sure you'd rather do geol than geog because they are really different. Also due to your interest in geography, look at environmental geoscience, it is like the cross between geol and geog, you might prefer it more.

Your subjects will not harm you getting into uni for geol, maybe aside from Oxbridge and maybe imperial.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by FlyHigh_er
Hey, your subjects are fine, you've got maths which is great and you have geography which can help. Most unis do a catch up for either students who haven't done maths/physics and for those who haven't done chemistry so you don't need to add stress by picking up an AS in chemistry.

Bear in mind that since most people haven't done geology at school before coming on to the geology course, while it's not heavily demanded, admission tutors want to see that you know the difference between geog and geol, make sure you'd rather do geol than geog because they are really different. Also due to your interest in geography, look at environmental geoscience, it is like the cross between geol and geog, you might prefer it more.

Your subjects will not harm you getting into uni for geol, maybe aside from Oxbridge and maybe imperial.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much :smile: it really did help and you put me at some rest, I'll look into Environmental geoscience, thanks for the help!
Original post by danimorais
Thank you so much :smile: it really did help and you put me at some rest, I'll look into Environmental geoscience, thanks for the help!

You're welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending