The Student Room Group

Self-studying OCR A-Level Geology as a Private Candidate: Practical Endorsement

Hi guys. I am an adult learner who is studying A-Levels from home. One of which is OCR A-Level Geology which I'm really enjoying so far. I would like to take exams in this in 2025 but at the moment I am really struggling to figure out what best to do.

There are several exam centres out there that seem to offer written exams for Geology but not a practical endorsement. Without it, I won't be able to get an A-level in the subject so I'm a bit stressed out about this. Does anyone know of any places I can contact that might offer this for private candidates?

Thank you all in advance for your help with this. It'll be greatly appreciated.
Original post by mdl202
Hi guys. I am an adult learner who is studying A-Levels from home. One of which is OCR A-Level Geology which I'm really enjoying so far. I would like to take exams in this in 2025 but at the moment I am really struggling to figure out what best to do.

There are several exam centres out there that seem to offer written exams for Geology but not a practical endorsement. Without it, I won't be able to get an A-level in the subject so I'm a bit stressed out about this. Does anyone know of any places I can contact that might offer this for private candidates?

Are you doing your A level through an online college? If so they should be able to give you advice.
You might want to visit this website https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/ I know they do practical's for other subjects so it might be worth asking them. Hope this makes sense
Reply 2
Original post by Totallyridic
Are you doing your A level through an online college? If so they should be able to give you advice.
You might want to visit this website https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/ I know they do practical's for other subjects so it might be worth asking them. Hope this makes sense

Thank you for the reply.

I've looked through all of the online colleges including tutors and exams, and all of them have said they can't offer anything without any explanation. :-L I have found one or two centres in Oxford that say they run Geology A-Level Practical Endorsements but they are pretty pricy. These seem to be the only places in the UK that offer the practical endorsements to private candidates. There are no online A-Level courses for this either so I am having to self-study with a private tutor at the moment.

Realistically speaking, there aren't that many exam centres near me that offer private candidates to enter their exams for Geology (I live in Plymouth and the closest I have to get to is Taunton). Hence it might make more sense for me to push this back a year when finances are a bit better. It kind of sucks, but I think I'm determined enough to hold off till then. :-)
Reply 3
Original post by mdl202
Thank you for the reply.

I've looked through all of the online colleges including tutors and exams, and all of them have said they can't offer anything without any explanation. :-L I have found one or two centres in Oxford that say they run Geology A-Level Practical Endorsements but they are pretty pricy. These seem to be the only places in the UK that offer the practical endorsements to private candidates. There are no online A-Level courses for this either so I am having to self-study with a private tutor at the moment.

Realistically speaking, there aren't that many exam centres near me that offer private candidates to enter their exams for Geology (I live in Plymouth and the closest I have to get to is Taunton). Hence it might make more sense for me to push this back a year when finances are a bit better. It kind of sucks, but I think I'm determined enough to hold off till then. :-)

For AQA and EdExcel biology the practical endorsement does not form part of the A-Level grading. This is something you would need to discuss with University admissions. It would cost me in excess of £2k with hotels and travel, so I am not doing it
Reply 4
Original post by mdl202
Thank you for the reply.

Hi, do you have a link to the centres in Oxford that run the geology practical endorsements? I'm also self studying A level geology and can't find anywhere
Original post by mdl202

Hi, you've probably found somewhere to do your fieldwork already but anyways, I'm a private candidate too and I can relate with your struggle to find this. If you're still looking for somewhere to take your fieldwork, I would highly recommend Field Council Studies, they offer these services to private candidates at very reasonable prices, everyone else rejected me :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending