The Student Room Group

EPQ - worth doing or?

I do maths, further maths, economics and geography currently (as level) and I want to apply for Economics probably at LSE or any other good university.

I have the option to do an EPQ (i'll base it around the subject of economics), and just wanted to know if it'd be worth doing it?

Now although I really like economics, my main reason to do it would be to put it on my ucas, afterall I also want to enjoy my summer!

So If any of you guys have done it, what have your experiences been like? Did you enjoy it? Or was it just a waste of time?
Do you think it is useful, I mean does it make you appear as a better candidate or? And lastly any general advice you have for anyone thinking of doing an EPQ?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing it this year, ans it's been nothing but a waste of time. I too, did it to put it on ucas and the unis really did not seem to care.

If I could go back, I would not have done it.
Reply 2
Oh really, yeah it does seem like a lot of work, do you mind me asking what you are doing it upon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm doing the EPQ. Mine's on interaction of sound waves, and their application in music... So far I'm enjoying it and I've heard that unis can sometimes offer you a slightly lower offer in turn for getting a certain grade in it.:biggrin:
Reply 4
i finished it this year and honestly i think it was a waste, the Unis did not seem to care that much and none of them lowered grades for me because of it, but if youre genuinely interested in the subject its not too bad, i think i probably finished mine in 2 or 3 days total work its just the reading around the subject that can take a while, but i think it depends on how much you really like the subject.
Reply 5
Oh cool! good luck
Reply 6
So how do you suggest going about choosing a topic that is original then. I mean so far i've got a few ideas on what I want to base it upon, however they are all pretty well looked into. Also don't you have to choose a topic that will provide you with enough depth so you can keep exploring it further, so surely choosing a well reseaarched topic would be helpful?

Ah that's good to hear!
Reply 7
I applied for economics this year and I completed an EPQ. I wouldn't have said it was a waste of time. It wasn't exactly fun but universities really like it so you'll be more likely to get an offer if you do one I think.
I think the main benefit is being about to write about it in your personal statement. If you say you're really interested in a particular area of economics and you are able to back it up with the fact you completed an EPQ in that area, it will look much better than someone who didn't do one.

I got an A* in my EPQ and I think this was one of the things which helped me get an offer from UCL.
Reply 8
I would suggest that if you're interested in an area of Economics you simply do more research in an area/read books on it which you can mention in your personal statement. This gives you something to talk about which shows interest but at the same time doesn't commit you to the same amount of time as the extended project so that if you find it too much next year you're not already committed.

Quick Reply

Latest