The Student Room Group

EPQ unrelated to what I want to study at uni - should I drop it?

I'm currently in year 12 doing english language, history and religious studies/philosophy at a-level and decided to take the EPQ as I thought it would be a useful extra qualification for uni in the future, the idea of a project sounded fun.

I decided to do an artefact project about writing a short story. I did this because creative writing is a hobby of mine and thought I'd enjoy the project - also I had thought about possibly studying english language/linguistics at university.

Unfortunately, I lost passion for my project and now I find myself begrudgingly doing it as I now realise creative writing is probably something I want to keep as a hobby rather than pursue a career in (it's not fun when you have to do it :/) One of the biggest reasons I don't like doing the project is because, looking online, lots of people say that EPQ isn't worth it and I've seen some universities say they don't consider it at all, making me think "is this really all worth it" whenever I work on it.

Now, I've decided that at uni I'd want to study a degree like philosophy & ethics and theology/religious studies, which makes me wonder if my EPQ is even worth it anymore. As it doesn't really relate to either of these subjects, I feel there isn't much point in including it in a personal statement and I've seen people say that doing an EPQ unrelated to your uni subject is a waste of time. It's making me wonder if I should just drop it and focus on my a-levels as I'm looking at RG unis that require grades in the range of ABB-AAA.

The only reason i've hesitated to drop it is because my sixth form makes you do a qualification alongside your a-levels e.g. epq, further maths a-level, some arts award thing or a gcse (I was gonna do gcse astronomy but couldn't because of a timetable clash with my subjects, so didn't really have passion for epq in the first place) However, recently a friend of mine dropped further maths and only got onto epq instead because she begged the school, meaning she would have just had her 3 a-levels.

So, should I drop epq?
Original post by millie_themoo07
I'm currently in year 12 doing english language, history and religious studies/philosophy at a-level and decided to take the EPQ as I thought it would be a useful extra qualification for uni in the future, the idea of a project sounded fun.

I decided to do an artefact project about writing a short story. I did this because creative writing is a hobby of mine and thought I'd enjoy the project - also I had thought about possibly studying english language/linguistics at university.

Unfortunately, I lost passion for my project and now I find myself begrudgingly doing it as I now realise creative writing is probably something I want to keep as a hobby rather than pursue a career in (it's not fun when you have to do it :/) One of the biggest reasons I don't like doing the project is because, looking online, lots of people say that EPQ isn't worth it and I've seen some universities say they don't consider it at all, making me think "is this really all worth it" whenever I work on it.

Now, I've decided that at uni I'd want to study a degree like philosophy & ethics and theology/religious studies, which makes me wonder if my EPQ is even worth it anymore. As it doesn't really relate to either of these subjects, I feel there isn't much point in including it in a personal statement and I've seen people say that doing an EPQ unrelated to your uni subject is a waste of time. It's making me wonder if I should just drop it and focus on my a-levels as I'm looking at RG unis that require grades in the range of ABB-AAA.

The only reason i've hesitated to drop it is because my sixth form makes you do a qualification alongside your a-levels e.g. epq, further maths a-level, some arts award thing or a gcse (I was gonna do gcse astronomy but couldn't because of a timetable clash with my subjects, so didn't really have passion for epq in the first place) However, recently a friend of mine dropped further maths and only got onto epq instead because she begged the school, meaning she would have just had her 3 a-levels.

So, should I drop epq?
have you considered changing your topic - last year I started an EPQ that wasn't relevant to my studies/degree and was allowed to change topic when I asked my school. it can be a good thing to have to get lower uni offers, but if it is making you miserable and you're not sure what to do instead id say drop it
Original post by erin11
have you considered changing your topic - last year I started an EPQ that wasn't relevant to my studies/degree and was allowed to change topic when I asked my school. it can be a good thing to have to get lower uni offers, but if it is making you miserable and you're not sure what to do instead id say drop it
I would but I think it's too late at this point and I dont want to have to be doing it in year 13

So, should I drop epq?

Quoting myself from another thread, but probably summarises everything to weigh up:

Original post by Admit-One
It can be useful in some circumstances, but if it's to the detriment of your AL grades then it's not usually worth the bother.

The pro's would be:

Some unis offer a small grade reduction for people taking an EPQ, but not all

Good practice in research+writing, and potentially good material for your personal statment if it's relevant to the subject you apply for

Could potentially make a difference on results day if you miss your offer. IE. you'd be in a slightly better position than someone with identical grades but with no EPQ. (Again, not every uni, but a possibility.)

I would but I think it's too late at this point and I dont want to have to be doing it in year 13
ah right, fair enough. in that case, if you're not enjoying it, drop it and focus on your 3 a levels
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest