The Student Room Group

EPQ and Core Maths, right choice?

My 3 courses are; Psychology, Biology and Art but I would also like to do an EPQ and Core Maths (preferably both in year 12) for my university application and the overall experience. Unsure currently on what career I would like to take but possibly the Psychology path.

Are the enrichments worth it plus other clubs, enrichments and societies? Pros and cons to go with any of it? Please lmk!
Original post by blacada
My 3 courses are; Psychology, Biology and Art but I would also like to do an EPQ and Core Maths (preferably both in year 12) for my university application and the overall experience. Unsure currently on what career I would like to take but possibly the Psychology path.

Are the enrichments worth it plus other clubs, enrichments and societies? Pros and cons to go with any of it? Please lmk!

Hey as someone who did 4 a levels and an EPQ i got overwhelmed quite easily with all the work piling up. Most universities to put it nicely don't care whatsoever about core maths and if they do they probably would prefer an EPQ all together. Additionally they only really care if you get an A in EPQ so if you don't care too much then it's a bit of a waste of time. The pro for Core Maths is that it's easier than as maths or a level maths and still gives you UCAS points to use for applying to university. EPQ gives you the needed research and referencing skills. I would also be cautious as a level Art can be a lot of work (Heard from friends who did it) and takes up a lot of your time so you would need to put a lot of effort into art which may draw back on your other 4 responsibilities.

If you do it please dont get too overwhelmed and know your limits and drop one of them to manage (especially if you are doing extracurriculars or a job)
Original post by blacada

Some sixth forms make it mandatory to take an EPQ or core maths with three A levels, but it is not worth doing both. Some unis do take EPQs into account and make reduced offers, e.g. AAB instead of AAA. Clubs and societies, etc. don't add much to your personal statement. Once you decide what you want to study at uni, show interest in your subject through additional reading, MOOCs, etc.
Original post by KingNurple
Hey as someone who did 4 a levels and an EPQ i got overwhelmed quite easily with all the work piling up. Most universities to put it nicely don't care whatsoever about core maths and if they do they probably would prefer an EPQ all together. Additionally they only really care if you get an A in EPQ so if you don't care too much then it's a bit of a waste of time. The pro for Core Maths is that it's easier than as maths or a level maths and still gives you UCAS points to use for applying to university. EPQ gives you the needed research and referencing skills. I would also be cautious as a level Art can be a lot of work (Heard from friends who did it) and takes up a lot of your time so you would need to put a lot of effort into art which may draw back on your other 4 responsibilities.

If you do it please dont get too overwhelmed and know your limits and drop one of them to manage (especially if you are doing extracurriculars or a job)

Yess, that makes sense since my main doubt was the amount of workload but honestly just want to do as many enrichments and things in year 12 to enhance my uni application whilst have experience and something to add to a personal statement but don’t know what direction to take so thought to do both.
With Art, that is true since it’s so practical and heavy but if the qualifications won’t make much of a difference than I’m doubting if there is a point esp since idek which uni I want to go to yet
Original post by normaw
Some sixth forms make it mandatory to take an EPQ or core maths with three A levels, but it is not worth doing both. Some unis do take EPQs into account and make reduced offers, e.g. AAB instead of AAA. Clubs and societies, etc. don't add much to your personal statement. Once you decide what you want to study at uni, show interest in your subject through additional reading, MOOCs, etc.

Do you have any pros and cons and also why it’s not worth doing both though I know it will take up a load of time. Could I do all those enrichments etc. in Year 12, then focus on reading further in Year 13 - would it be effective?
Original post by blacada
Yess, that makes sense since my main doubt was the amount of workload but honestly just want to do as many enrichments and things in year 12 to enhance my uni application whilst have experience and something to add to a personal statement but don’t know what direction to take so thought to do both.
With Art, that is true since it’s so practical and heavy but if the qualifications won’t make much of a difference than I’m doubting if there is a point esp since idek which uni I want to go to yet

Firstly i think you would want to do at university, you have a good blend of science and arts so could do pretty much anything, then I'd think about seeing any connections within those fields to get work experience. Online work experience can be good but not as rewarding as in person. EPQ is good for your personal statement as you can talk about that especially if you do an EPQ in that subject area
Original post by blacada
Do you have any pros and cons and also why it’s not worth doing both though I know it will take up a load of time. Could I do all those enrichments etc. in Year 12, then focus on reading further in Year 13 - would it be effective?

An EPQ takes up a lot of time if you want to do it well. You will be spreading yourself too thinly if you do more. Bear in mind that, depending on your school, you will be writing your personal statement during the summer of year 12 or at the start of year 13, so you need to be able to show your interest in the course by relating what you have learnt from the supercurriculars you have already done. It also takes time to research degree courses and careers, go to open days, etc. so year 12 will be very busy.

Quick Reply

Latest