The Student Room Group

GSS StO Applications 2014

Hi!

I was looking for a thread discussing the Statistical Officer applications (separate to the Fast Stream) and couldn't find one, so was wondering if there's anyone else who applied this round and how have they found the interviews?

I had mine last Wednesday and I'm so nervous to find out results, already obsessively checking my emails even though they said it definitely won't be til the end of next week!

Hope there's some others out there who I can share my nerves with :smile:
Reply 1
I say! Well done for opening a thread. Was going to do this but have not gotten around to it.

I have my interviews on Friday, the 4th. I take it you are based in Newport.

I am sure you will be fine though. I have a bit of nerves but am a lot calmer as I had done it last year but missed by 0.2,I think.

Fingers crossed for you. I hope it all goes well.
Original post by peachoct6
I say! Well done for opening a thread. Was going to do this but have not gotten around to it.

I have my interviews on Friday, the 4th. I take it you are based in Newport.

I am sure you will be fine though. I have a bit of nerves but am a lot calmer as I had done it last year but missed by 0.2,I think.

Fingers crossed for you. I hope it all goes well.

Hi!

How did it go?

I had my interview in Newport but hoping to be based in the north, after passing the interview stage, yey! It all came through a lot quicker than expected but they said they have interviews this week too, so allocations will take a little longer.
Reply 3
Congratulations on your success at the interview. Mine went well, I hope on the 4th though I have not heard from them yet. How long after the interview before you heard from them?
Reply 4
I am in! Yippee!
Reply 5
Hi guys, congratulations! I also passed, but no department allocations yet. Any of you got allocated yet? I rally don't know why it's taking this long.
Reply 6
Hi there,

Been allocated a department but yet to receive a start date. Anyone else in the same boat?
Hey,

I've recently found out that I passed the interview/ assessment and I'm just wondering how long it usually takes for a start date to be given?

:smile:
Reply 8
Hello, a little late to the thread. I am set to sit the written exam this January, could anyone provide some tips on the layout? Is much statistical knowledge needed, or is it more basic stuff? Was time an issue for you guys? Thanks in advance. :smile:
Reply 9
Hello, a little late to the thread. I am set to sit the written exam this January, could anyone provide some tips on the layout? Is much statistical knowledge needed, or is it more basic stuff? Was time an issue for you guys? Thanks in advance.
Reply 10
Hello, can anyone provide some info on the assessment centre for the sto? I've got the written test tomorrow, I did get some revision guide but don't know how in depth the tests will be. Any help will be much appreciated!
Original post by kar0luch
Hello, can anyone provide some info on the assessment centre for the sto? I've got the written test tomorrow, I did get some revision guide but don't know how in depth the tests will be. Any help will be much appreciated!

I probably sat the same written test. How did it go?

I passed the test and was successful at the interview too.

However, I have not been allocated a department yet.

The best preparation for the test is a review of basic statistics in the areas of data summary, data presentation, probability theory, sampling distribution, simple linear regression. You will also have to be comfortable reasoning using averages, percentages, ratios and proportions. Don't worry about relatively more advanced stuff like multivariate statistics, design and analysis of experiments, time series, stochastic processes, GLM, Bayesian methods, etc.

An advantage or a disadvantage is that these skills are acquired cumulatively over a number of years. You will find yourself using some old elementary mathematical skills to deal with some of the questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
well i just applied! hopefully I will pass the initial sift and get offered an interview...
Reply 13
I find some of the questions really difficult to deal with. For example, one of the questions I had was:
Each draw, a family buys 50 (different) tickets for a Lottery, in which the chance of winning a share of the Jackpot prize is 1 in 13,983,816. There are two Lottery draws per week. Which of the following is the best estimate of how long the family might expect to wait to win a share of the jackpot prize?
A 30 years B 250 years C 1100 years D 2800 years
Can somebody help me on that?
Reply 14
E[Win]=13,983,816/50
Draw in a year=365*2 / 7 = 104

E[Win]/Draw in a year is your answer 279676/104= 2800
Reply 15
Original post by vanvan
I find some of the questions really difficult to deal with. For example, one of the questions I had was:
Each draw, a family buys 50 (different) tickets for a Lottery, in which the chance of winning a share of the Jackpot prize is 1 in 13,983,816. There are two Lottery draws per week. Which of the following is the best estimate of how long the family might expect to wait to win a share of the jackpot prize?
A 30 years B 250 years C 1100 years D 2800 years
Can somebody help me on that?

E[Win]=13,983,816/50Draw in a year=365*2 / 7 = 104E[Win]/Draw in a year is your answer 279676/104= 2800
Reply 16
Hello, not sure if this would reach anyone as this thread looks ancient. I’ve got a question about the online test. In the preparation pack it says that test takes 45 minutes. In the same pack though there is a mock test with 15 questions to answer within 20 mins. Is it some mistake or on the actual test I’d also have just over a minute per question?
(edited 2 years ago)
Did you ever get an answer to this?
Reply 18
Asking me? No, I didn’t but I already know that it’s 45 mins for 25 questions, at least that’s how it was when I last tried end of 2021. I passed it twice but wasn’t offered the interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending