The Student Room Group

Why do so many people complete GCSE Maths early?

It seems a little unusual that so many people are able to complete the course in year 10 or less with an A*, whereas many students struggle to ever achieve the lowest of grades in subjects such as English Language. What does everyone thing?
Maths GCSE is far too easy, and can be rote learnt (as can a level)

Whereas English Language can't really be taught to a*; you have a natural flair I suppose
Depends on the individual.
I took both Math and English Language in yr10.
Both A*'s.
Reply 3
Original post by RocketCiaranJ
It seems a little unusual that so many people are able to complete the course in year 10 or less with an A*, whereas many students struggle to ever achieve the lowest of grades in subjects such as English Language. What does everyone thing?

I personally would put it down to how in English involves quite a bit of reading (literature especially) so prior to Year 10 when you start the GCSE courses it is unlikely that you have read the book and analysed it in enough depth. Similar constraints act upon History and subjects like that. On the other hand, maths is more predefined rules, and hypothetically can be learnt at any age.
For example, I did Maths GCSE in year 9 and further maths in year 10, and had been teaching myself in year 9 (and I still am now in year 11) which meant that I could custom build my lessons to areas I needed more work on, so was able to do it in that time. On the other hand, in english it would be less likely to happen unless the course was started in year 9 with the correct books.

(Sorry if I started rambling)

Quick Reply

Latest