The Student Room Group

Will not doing a level math bring me a disadvantage?

I don't think I am the best at math and in my gcse mocks i got a 5 for maths, so i think math a level will most likely be a struggle for me. and i dont see a point of me learning math a level if i am not going to be getting a good grade.
but i am scared that not doing math will stop me from many choices in the future so what should i do?
Original post by infires-
I don't think I am the best at math and in my gcse mocks i got a 5 for maths, so i think math a level will most likely be a struggle for me. and i dont see a point of me learning math a level if i am not going to be getting a good grade.
but i am scared that not doing math will stop me from many choices in the future so what should i do?
Many schools will require a grade 7 to start A level maths.

What degree are you thinking of?
Depends entirely on what subject you are thinking of at undergrad.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Many schools will require a grade 7 to start A level maths.

What degree are you thinking of?
i have quite a few degrees that i'm interested in, but i am really not quite sure about what i want to do. they are: psychology, media, economics, marketing, hospitality. these are some things that i am kind of interested it, but once again I still currently am not sure about what i want to do, so i don't know if doing math will open up more choices for me.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Depends entirely on what subject you are thinking of at undergrad.
i have quite a few degrees that i'm interested in, but i am really not quite sure about what i want to do. they are: psychology, media, economics, marketing, hospitality. these are some things that i am kind of interested it, but once again I still currently am not sure about what i want to do, so i don't know if doing math will open up more choices for me.
Original post by infires-

Maths will be a requirement for many Economics and Psychology courses. So in that sense, yes it could limit your options. However you are thinking about five different subject areas and it is early days yet.

But if Maths is not a particularly strong subject for you, then taking it anyway and getting a weak grade at AL would also hinder you.

Ultimately, it’s a bit early to worry about this, and you need to focus on your GCSE’s.
Reply 6
Maths will be a requirement for many Economics and Psychology courses. So in that sense, yes it could limit your options. However you are thinking about five different subject areas and it is early days yet.

But if Maths is not a particularly strong subject for you, then taking it anyway and getting a weak grade at AL would also hinder you.

Ultimately, it’s a bit early to worry about this, and you need to focus on your GCSE’s.
Okay, I see, thank you very much.

Most schools will have asked Year 11s to submit A level choices by now.
Original post by Muttley79
Most schools will have asked Year 11s to submit A level choices by now.

Cheers, I’ve no idea when gcse mocks are done. If so, maths presumably won’t even be an option at AL.
Cheers, I’ve no idea when gcse mocks are done. If so, maths presumably won’t even be an option at AL.
It varies a lot these days :smile:

Sixth form applications are usually done by now. In my school if groups are full we can't put on additional groups in August if people change their minds.

Quick Reply

Latest