The Student Room Group

Teaching route for old school with irrelevant degree?

I'm doing A levels at the moment and would like to become a teacher after university, and do economics degree because its interesting and would like something to fall back on. I've done some reading about how to become a postgraduate teacher but it's still a little confusing.
I want to teach at my old primary school-in london but i live like an hour away from it now and if i wanted to get a job there i don't know how to approach it, because the teacher training courses i do after my degree might be in different schools,
Also how would i gain experience in schools while doing my degree like who do i ask how and where do i find the opportunities :confused:
Can someone give me a sort of guide on what i should do after my degree because up until there i don't have a clear idea
(edited 10 years ago)
If you want to teach at Primary school then I wouldn't say your degree is irrelevant.

To get experience during your degree you could write to schools near you and ask if you could observe lessons.

There are many different routes into teaching training and by the time you're approaching the end of your degree it might have changed again. Currently you can choose whether you want training that is primarily based in a school or training at a University. Your primary school may offer a school direct place, so you could end up doing your teacher training there and be given a job there at the end of it.

You could apply to your old school (if they have vacancies) at the end of your teacher training.
Reply 2
Original post by selhurst-hero
If you want to teach at Primary school then I wouldn't say your degree is irrelevant.

To get experience during your degree you could write to schools near you and ask if you could observe lessons.

There are many different routes into teaching training and by the time you're approaching the end of your degree it might have changed again. Currently you can choose whether you want training that is primarily based in a school or training at a University. Your primary school may offer a school direct place, so you could end up doing your teacher training there and be given a job there at the end of it.

You could apply to your old school (if they have vacancies) at the end of your teacher training.

When writing to schools, what do you mean specifically, as in writing to the headteacher? and how would i find out what schools offer school direct places
Yes the headteacher is probably the best person to write to.

School direct is a relatively new system, this years places (September 2014 start) for that and PGCE (university based route) were only shown on the UCAS website last November. There may be more notice by the time you apply and you can always ask the school directly if they will be running it before hand.
Reply 4
Original post by hmmwhatever
I'm doing A levels at the moment and would like to become a teacher after university, and do economics degree because its interesting and would like something to fall back on. I've done some reading about how to become a postgraduate teacher but it's still a little confusing.
I want to teach at my old primary school-in london but i live like an hour away from it now and if i wanted to get a job there i don't know how to approach it, because the teacher training courses i do after my degree might be in different schools,
Also how would i gain experience in schools while doing my degree like who do i ask how and where do i find the opportunities :confused:
Can someone give me a sort of guide on what i should do after my degree because up until there i don't have a clear idea

You can apply via the UCAS ITT portal to the following courses:
- PGCE [two placements, each of a similar length, in different schools. more time in uni than schools direct]
- Schools Direct (salaried or non-salaried) [based in one school for the majority of the year with a second placement in another school for about 6 weeks]
- SCITT [generally a similar format to schools direct]

There is also another programme called Teach First which will lead to you qualifying as a teacher, but it won't be guaranteed that you will be able to stay in London with this programme as they can place you anywhere.

On a side note, you don't have to train in your old primary school to work there. You can choose to do work experience there though and it is likely that they would accept you for this. However, there is no guarantee that they will have any job openings when you are looking for employment - so be flexible with this.
Reply 5
Original post by Shelly_x
You can apply via the UCAS ITT portal to the following courses:
- PGCE [two placements, each of a similar length, in different schools. more time in uni than schools direct]
- Schools Direct (salaried or non-salaried) [based in one school for the majority of the year with a second placement in another school for about 6 weeks]
- SCITT [generally a similar format to schools direct]

There is also another programme called Teach First which will lead to you qualifying as a teacher, but it won't be guaranteed that you will be able to stay in London with this programme as they can place you anywhere.

On a side note, you don't have to train in your old primary school to work there. You can choose to do work experience there though and it is likely that they would accept you for this. However, there is no guarantee that they will have any job openings when you are looking for employment - so be flexible with this.

Thank you, the ultimate dream is to work in my old primary school but in general how often do vacancies appear at schools?
Reply 6
Original post by hmmwhatever
Thank you, the ultimate dream is to work in my old primary school but in general how often do vacancies appear at schools?

Entirely depends on the school and whether any staff will be leaving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending