The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University: is it worth it?

I am looking to pursue a career in primary school teaching. I got an A C E overall in my a levels, no where near the A A B required to teach in NI. I’ve tried looking up alternate routes, including ringing universities and trying to find an access course, but you need to be 21. I’ve just found an OU honours degree in education studies (primary), however you do not get QTS. Will I still be able to be accepted into a PGCE at universities here in NI, or is this degree looked down upon because it’s online? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated:smile:
Hi! I am currently a first year with the Open University studying an Arts and Humanities Degree, hoping to also complete a PGCE to become either a History or English teacher, and I wouldn't say the degree is looked down on, but as it requires self-discipline and motivation to work from home. One of my mothers friends (based in England) completed a degree with the OU which allowed her to go into teaching in a collage, I also emailed the OU before I enrolled with my questions and their support team is super helpful if you have any questions, I asked so many as i was so unsure about taking the OU route rather than a traditional brick uni, but I have to say it is one of the best decisions I've made!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi! I am currently a first year with the Open University studying an Arts and Humanities Degree, hoping to also complete a PGCE to become either a History or English teacher, and I wouldn't say the degree is looked down on, but as it requires self-discipline and motivation to work from home. One of my mothers friends (based in England) completed a degree with the OU which allowed her to go into teaching in a collage, I also emailed the OU before I enrolled with my questions and their support team is super helpful if you have any questions, I asked so many as i was so unsure about taking the OU route rather than a traditional brick uni, but I have to say it is one of the best decisions I've made!

thank you so much for your response!!!! you have helped me out and now i’m going to do it so thank you so so much:smile:)
Original post by donnamxx
thank you so much for your response!!!! you have helped me out and now i’m going to do it so thank you so so much:smile:)

No problem at all! Hope you figure out what’s best for you! 😃😃
Original post by donnamxx
I am looking to pursue a career in primary school teaching. I got an A C E overall in my a levels, no where near the A A B required to teach in NI. I’ve tried looking up alternate routes, including ringing universities and trying to find an access course, but you need to be 21. I’ve just found an OU honours degree in education studies (primary), however you do not get QTS. Will I still be able to be accepted into a PGCE at universities here in NI, or is this degree looked down upon because it’s online? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated:smile:

I think its a good route. I finished school with 82 UCAS points - so my options were to either do a foundation year at anywhere I applied for, or to go with the OU.

OU ended up being many times cheaper regarding debt - so it was a no brainer imo.

I quite enjoy the OU style of learning, and the degrees are looked quite favourable on by employers - especially if you held down a job while doing it.

The only people who seem to look down on OU degrees are Oxbridgers and from my experience other OU students haha.

Quick Reply

Latest