The Student Room Group

Is classroom AI good news for teachers and teaching assistants?

Maybe good for the teachers, I’m not sure about the students though.
Reply 2
Happy to keep an open mind but I am yet to discover AI that it intelligent. Setting AI generated quizzes is all well and good but there are a gazillion and one quizzes out there already. I don't use them because they aren't very useful in improving student outcomes.

Lots of schools now have kids do online homeworks but I can't help but feel they tick a box rather than answer the very deep routed question "Why do we set homework and what kind of homework is most effective in student outcomes?"

And of course, whilst Sunak flits about the country in his private helicopter, he seems to have forgotten the millions of students who don't have a computer or the internet at home.
Original post by hotpud
Happy to keep an open mind but I am yet to discover AI that it intelligent. Setting AI generated quizzes is all well and good but there are a gazillion and one quizzes out there already. I don't use them because they aren't very useful in improving student outcomes.

Lots of schools now have kids do online homeworks but I can't help but feel they tick a box rather than answer the very deep routed question "Why do we set homework and what kind of homework is most effective in student outcomes?"

And of course, whilst Sunak flits about the country in his private helicopter, he seems to have forgotten the millions of students who don't have a computer or the internet at home.

I agree, also just seems like a way for some teachers to slack off as well (so teaching quality will be lower as a result) or be too reliant on AI/the internet in order to educate their pupils.

Honestly just pay teachers better and find alternative ways to reduce the workload/admin involved.
Reply 4
Original post by Talkative Toad
Honestly just pay teachers better and find alternative ways to reduce the workload/admin involved.

This is easy. Just give us more none teaching time. Currently most teachers get 2 hours to plan, mark, and prepare 21-22 hours of teaching for between 100 and 500 students per week for secondary teachers.
Original post by hotpud
This is easy. Just give us more none teaching time. Currently most teachers get 2 hours to plan, mark, and prepare 21-22 hours of teaching for between 100 and 500 students per week for secondary teachers.

So kids would be in school for less hours? Would students be getting more homework to do?

Yeah I mean there are some educational systems where students are able to get a lot done in only 5 hours. Or other educational systems where teachers are treated with more respect and at a higher standard but they need higher level qualifications I.e a masters degree I think.
Reply 6
The government has still not explained where it is going to find all the new maths teachers it needs. So I’ll treat bold claims from the government with a healthy dose of scepticism for now.

By now, I mean until they are removed from office.
Reply 7
Original post by Talkative Toad
So kids would be in school for less hours? Would students be getting more homework to do?

Yeah I mean there are some educational systems where students are able to get a lot done in only 5 hours. Or other educational systems where teachers are treated with more respect and at a higher standard but they need higher level qualifications I.e a masters degree I think.

No. You hire more teachers so that there is cover for those teachers who are doing their planning, marking and prep. Could you plan and execute 21 / 22 hours of training in 2 hours? Oh and that is your teaching timetable where in theory you know your subject. Add to that another 2.5 hours of tutorial time which covers such light-hearted issues as sex education, friendships and identity amongst other.

But it is ok. Because on top of the government mandating some form of computing curriculum for 14-16 year olds even though there are no computing teachers, Sunak now wants 16-18 year olds to do some sort of maths even though there are not sufficient maths teachers. But hey ho - we'll manage somehow. Maybe AI could teach them. That is sure to work!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by hotpud
No. You hire more teachers so that there is cover for those teachers who are doing their planning, marking and prep. Could you plan and execute 21 / 22 hours of training in 2 hours? Oh and that is your teaching timetable where in theory you know your subject. Add to that another 2.5 hours of tutorial time which covers such light-hearted issues as sex education, friendships and identity amongst other.

But it is ok. Because on top of the government mandating some form of computing curriculum for 14-16 year olds even though there are no computing teachers, Sunak now wants 16-18 year olds to do some sort of maths even though there are not sufficient maths teachers. But hey ho - we'll manage somehow. Maybe AI could teach them. That is sure to work!

Fair enough
I've put this into Educational debate now :smile:

I don't seriously think teachers are going to be replaced by AI soon, or ever, so if the AI is reliable and genuinely reduces the workload then this is probably a net plus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending