The Student Room Group

Masters after PGCE

If I were to do a BSc in Physics, and then a PGCE in that, would the PGCE give me entry to MEd courses?

I'm thinking of eventually doing a PhD in Education to do research in Physics Education. My main goal is to do research, not just teach, but I'm unsure what route to take here.
Original post by elemenohpee
If I were to do a BSc in Physics, and then a PGCE in that, would the PGCE give me entry to MEd courses?

I'm thinking of eventually doing a PhD in Education to do research in Physics Education. My main goal is to do research, not just teach, but I'm unsure what route to take here.

Hi @elemenohpee

It sounds like you have a career plan in mind. Normally, people who do a PGCE after their degree go on to teach immediately as the PGCE is a vocational qualification. The PGCE also gives you credits towards a Masters. In my experience as a teacher of 18 years, many of my colleagues did Masters qualifications whilst they were working as a teacher. The choice is entirely yours but if you are set on doing a Masters, most would do the Masters before the PGCE. Check out our site Get into Teaching to get more information on the PGCE route into teaching.

Good luck!
Tracy
Reply 2
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hi @elemenohpee

It sounds like you have a career plan in mind. Normally, people who do a PGCE after their degree go on to teach immediately as the PGCE is a vocational qualification. The PGCE also gives you credits towards a Masters. In my experience as a teacher of 18 years, many of my colleagues did Masters qualifications whilst they were working as a teacher. The choice is entirely yours but if you are set on doing a Masters, most would do the Masters before the PGCE. Check out our site Get into Teaching to get more information on the PGCE route into teaching.

Good luck!
Tracy

Thanks for your response! I've looked at the entry requirements for many Masters courses in Education, but they usually say an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject or social science is preferred, so I'm unsure how to approach my next steps after a BSc Physics. Any advice?
Thanks for your response! I've looked at the entry requirements for many Masters courses in Education, but they usually say an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject or social science is preferred, so I'm unsure how to approach my next steps after a BSc Physics. Any advice?

Hello @elemenohpee

The Post-Grad Certificate of Education consists of credits at Level 7. (Masters degree level) and so you 'could' complete that, and also gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) to allow you to teach in main-stream schools, then use the credits gained to 'up-grade' your PGCE qualification to a full Masters degree.

Alternatively, you may go directly to a Masters of Education degree from your undergraduate degree, but you wouldn't also be awarded with QTS, that is the teaching qualification. You could look at something like the Masters degree in STEM education offered by Kings College, London, or the Physics with Education at Sussex, as these two degrees would focus on physics education, and likely lead to opportunities for a doctorate. You might also want to browse the IOP resources for this kind of education and employment opportunities.

All the best, Jane :smile:
Reply 4

You don't need a PGCE to do a masters. However, given that teaching is based on pedagogy and a big part of that is in ones practice of that pedagogy I am not really sure how effective you could be in academia researching something you have no experience in. I am looking to do a masters next year and all of the tutors I spoke to were all former teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending