The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry - C2 and C3 15th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dneep
Any predictions for the grade boundaries for C2? For A* and 100UMS?

A* in the Chemistry Unit 2 paper will probably be around 45 - 47.
Reply 1141
Original post by S.Ahmad
A* in the Chemistry Unit 2 paper will probably be around 45 - 47.

What about 100UMS?
Original post by Dneep
What about 100UMS?

No idea, sorry.
Probably around 54?
Original post by tomroberts12
There was no advantage to it, the disadvantage was: distillation requires a lot of energy hence money

Thankyou! sorry was having post exam doubts on having read the question properly- i did put that though so I am relieved :smile:
Original post by Lokiofasgard
It was just generally that distillation is expensive- I suppose that you would both go into how the process how the process has many steps and also that large amounts of water would need to be distilled- using a lot of energy.

Thanks! Phew wrote something similar- the things we do for one mark eh. Some people after the exam were talking about advantages so they mustve read the question incorrectly xD
Reply 1145
Original post by S.Ahmad
No idea, sorry.
Probably around 54?

That seems reasonable, thank's for your reply :smile:
Original post by Dneep
That seems reasonable, thank's for your reply :smile:

If you're worried about UMS, check out AQA's UMS converter on their website :smile:
Reply 1147
Original post by Tobybeta
If you're worried about UMS, check out AQA's UMS converter on their website :smile:

I would do that however I believe that the UMS will greatly differ this year from last year, so that's why I would like to know what all you guys think the grade boundaries will be like! :smile:
anyone have an unofficial markscheme they wanna post? im so worried I got loads wrong. don't rly wanna b surprised on results day with the crap mark
Original post by wisemangirl
anyone have an unofficial markscheme they wanna post? im so worried I got loads wrong. don't rly wanna b surprised on results day with the crap mark

Don't panic, C3 was really difficult!

I found C2 fine, a few silly mistakes, but the C3 exam was terrible! When I read the first question about the water treatment process at first a massive grin formed on my face - then I realised it said, "state the TWO main parts to the water treatment", that definitely threw me off.

I also had no hope with the titration calculation, I had practiced so many and the one that we were given just seemed so much harder! :frown:

And as for the energy change calculation...I knew the answer had to be a minus number, but for some reason I couldn't get my answer that way even though it said that the reaction was exothermic...

Urgh, just someone kill me now, I don't think I will be able to look on results day...:frown:
Original post by victoria.98
Don't panic, C3 was really difficult!

I found C2 fine, a few silly mistakes, but the C3 exam was terrible! When I read the first question about the water treatment process at first a massive grin formed on my face - then I realised it said, "state the TWO main parts to the water treatment", that definitely threw me off.

I also had no hope with the titration calculation, I had practiced so many and the one that we were given just seemed so much harder! :frown:

And as for the energy change calculation...I knew the answer had to be a minus number, but for some reason I couldn't get my answer that way even though it said that the reaction was exothermic...

Urgh, just someone kill me now, I don't think I will be able to look on results day...:frown:

I agree 100% I found C3 harder than the past papers so hopefully the grade boundaries should be slight lower than June 2013 :biggrin:
Original post by ebrady
I have the same problem, but I messed up chemistry instead. :/ Like, I overcomplicated the questions so much...it annoyed me because I know for a fact I can get A*s, I just messed up on the day.

Maybe you'll get enough method marks for an A*. Even if you don't get it "right" but still put relevant info (like on the higher) markers, they'll probably award marks. We'll just have to see on the day. Also, we have core to go yet! (well, I do.) you could well average an A*, especially if you have a good ISA grade.

Original post by georgie1997
For the dot and cross diagram, I did all crosses.... But I don't think it specified what to use, will I still get full marks ?

I'm doing additonal science not triple so I've already done core last year haha did get A* for that but this year yeh I'm not too optimistic
Original post by Dneep
I would do that however I believe that the UMS will greatly differ this year from last year, so that's why I would like to know what all you guys think the grade boundaries will be like! :smile:

As me along with a quite a few hours missed out on 9 marks for the B2 exam I'd like to think the boundaries will go down for that C2 I hope is around the same however I doubt that... Eurgh
HELP
how would you answer this question
Why does increasing he voltage increase resistance
Do you say that there is a greater number of collisions between electrons and that the current will be greater so higher resistance do you mention temp increase someone give me a bullet point like 3/4 mark answer for this I'm confused
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
HELP
how would you answer this question
Why does increasing he voltage increase resistance
Do you say that there is a greater number of collisions between electrons and that the current will be greater so higher resistance do you mention temp increase someone give me a bullet point like 3/4 mark answer for this I'm confused

Voltage increases as resistance increases.

This is because when a higher voltage is applied the metal ions vibrate more often making it difficult for the delocalised electrons carrying current to 'weave' past throughout the structure hence a greater resistance.

Hope this is okay It has come up in nearly every P2 paper including this years's Jan 2014 paper- it maybe be checking out a few mark schemes just in case to embed that idea.
Reply 1155
Original post by damnthoseexams
BTW guys what was the answer to the question that asked for evidence that a large amount of energy had to be used in that reaction?

It showed the symbol equation for the reaction and Oxygen turned from a compound with Mg to a gas by itself (i think!)
Reply 1156
Original post by irMike
My god, I really badly worded my answer for this I was going to go back and reword it after but I forgot. I basically put 'It could get in the water when it's next used which is dangerous' but my wording was off because I was still thinking about the last question when answering It, I don't know the answer, but that sounds sensible, I would't want to clean my kettle with a deadly acid if I planned on using it to make tea later on

I put it might corrode the metal/heating element
Original post by ramo77
It showed the symbol equation for the reaction and Oxygen turned from a compound with Mg to a gas by itself (i think!)

If you put anything about Magnesium being a gas, it's right.
Reply 1158
Original post by georgie1997
Reckon there's any chance they would allow one mark for saying hydrogen forms at the negative electrode if enough people have said it ?

No. Beace the metal was in MOLTEN not SOLUTION
Original post by MATHSPOW!!
pencil as it doesn't dissolve in the solvent unlike pen 😃 x

Hey i put pencil as it doesnt dissolve in the SOLUTE not solvent. Do i still get the marks???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest