The Student Room Group

French

I think i am really bad at french and I really want an A grade at gcse, currently i am in year 9 and that is what I have got:
Reading: 6b
Speaking: 6a
Writing: 6a
Listening: (I haven't been assessed this year)

What grade will I be predicted at gcse and how can I improve?

Lastly is it true, that they are abolishing controlled assessment for speaking and writing for GCSE?
tips would be appreciated for listening as I have an exam on thursday
If they still do it the same way they did when I started GCSE French a couple of years ago, you'll do a couple of speaking tests at the start of year 10, and they'll mostly base your predicted grades off of that. But 6s are good grades, so maybe you'll be predicted a B or an A, if they don't test you. My friend (who admittedly has worked very hard for it over the last few months of the GCSE course) was at your level at the end of year 9, and she's now expecting to get an A*. You start French again from the beginning at GCSE, so it's really all down to the effort you put in and some level of natural talent for understanding how languages work.

In terms of tips, just going over what you've learned for ten minutes the night after each lesson, listening to the odd French song/subtitled film, and really learning all your material for the writing and speaking exams will do wonders. When you're trying to learn the pieces, knowing what each phrase means and breaking it down into chunks (learning a few lines each night, then putting it all together) is the best method my friend and I have come up with. The best you can do for listening is not panic, listen out for key words, and move onto the next question if you miss something, filling in any blanks when the section is repeated. If that all fails, take an intelligent guess and you might just get the mark anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BULL14
I think i am really bad at french and I really want an A grade at gcse, currently i am in year 9 and that is what I have got:
Reading: 6b
Speaking: 6a
Writing: 6a
Listening: (I haven't been assessed this year)

What grade will I be predicted at gcse and how can I improve?

Lastly is it true, that they are abolishing controlled assessment for speaking and writing for GCSE?
tips would be appreciated for listening as I have an exam on thursday

Listen out to the whole passage, listen to negatives (but don't be fooled by NE ... QUE, which means only).

Phrases like Par Contre, Mais, Meme si, malheureusement all negate things.

Listen out for different tenses - note, the future tense and the conditional tense is often confused. For example, J'aimerai and J'aimerais sound pretty much the same.

Also, tenses are important because a question may give three things that are mentioned in the passage but you are expected to work out which answer is the right one depending on the tense and the question asked.

Good Luck!
Reply 3
DO you think I should drop french for gcse, as I don't think i can get an A grade? (I want to study medicine at oxbridge
Original post by BULL14
DO you think I should drop french for gcse, as I don't think i can get an A grade? (I want to study medicine at oxbridge

That's your call. If you really think that you won't be able to get an A in it, you might consider swapping to another subject, but like I say, my friend and I both did better than we thought because the standard of teaching was better at college. That said, about half of the class did struggle. French is a well respected subject, so if you can get an A it will look good, but I think Oxford does look at your GCSE grades, so you might want to bear that in mind if not doing so well in French is a real possibility. Cambridge put more emphasis on AS levels, I think. Maybe you could speak to your French teacher about it, or try French at college for a couple of weeks to see if you do well or not.

Are you going to take triple science? I assume so, but if you're not and you want to go into medicine I would recommend switching another subject, like French, for it.
Reply 5
Original post by LordWayward
That's your call. If you really think that you won't be able to get an A in it, you might consider swapping to another subject, but like I say, my friend and I both did better than we thought because the standard of teaching was better at college. That said, about half of the class did struggle. French is a well respected subject, so if you can get an A it will look good, but I think Oxford does look at your GCSE grades, so you might want to bear that in mind if not doing so well in French is a real possibility. Cambridge put more emphasis on AS levels, I think. Maybe you could speak to your French teacher about it, or try French at college for a couple of weeks to see if you do well or not.

Are you going to take triple science? I assume so, but if you're not and you want to go into medicine I would recommend switching another subject, like French, for it.

In our school we have the oathway system, so if you get more than level 6 in maths or english you are on pathway 4 (the highest pathway), but for pathway four you have to take a language with three other gcses, I am on pathway four hence I have to take a language. So I can't really swap it with another subject, although I can drop onto to pathway three, where you can decide which three subjects you can study for gcse (doesn't include MFL). SO should I drop onto pathway three? will I still be able to get into oxford for medicine?

My head of sixth form told me that it is better to have a B in language, than no have it at all? DO you think with the levels I am attaining in year 9, wil lI be able to get an A grade for GCSE?
Original post by BULL14
In our school we have the oathway system, so if you get more than level 6 in maths or english you are on pathway 4 (the highest pathway), but for pathway four you have to take a language with three other gcses, I am on pathway four hence I have to take a language. So I can't really swap it with another subject, although I can drop onto to pathway three, where you can decide which three subjects you can study for gcse (doesn't include MFL). SO should I drop onto pathway three? will I still be able to get into oxford for medicine?

My head of sixth form told me that it is better to have a B in language, than no have it at all? DO you think with the levels I am attaining in year 9, wil lI be able to get an A grade for GCSE?

Hmmm... odd. I've never heard of a system like it. Are you not doing 10 GCSEs then, or is it just the options you're referring to when you say that one of them has to be a language? It should be possible for you to get an A with work, judging by your current levels, and by the fact that you're apparently on the pathway for the most able students, but if you really don't like the subject or there was something else you'd rather have been doing instead you might struggle for motivation, and get a lower grade than your top potential.

If you don't want to risk it / don't want to pursue French for any longer than you have to and dropping to pathway three won't automatically put you on foundation papers or limit your options, by all means go for it. But your school teachers would be the best people to go to with this, because they'll know exactly what you're capable of and what the impacts of switching pathways would be. Having a language will look good on your record, but I'm sure Oxbridge would prefer an A in something else to a D in French, if it came to it.
Original post by BULL14
will I still be able to get into oxford for medicine?

My head of sixth form told me that it is better to have a B in language, than no have it at all?

Oxford medicine is incredibly strict with regards to GCSE grades. Take a look here - you need to be getting 8 or 9 A*s out of 10 GCSEs taken to be competitive.
I was like level 2 in year 7, 3 in year 8, 5/6 in year 9.

I got an A* at GCSE, expecting an A at AS, and I'm decent at it so levels nada
Reply 9
thanks
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
Oxford medicine is incredibly strict with regards to GCSE grades. Take a look here - you need to be getting 8 or 9 A*s out of 10 GCSEs taken to be competitive.

I think I could get 7/8 A*s out of 12 gcses, these will be in: Biology, chemistry, maths, geography, history, P.R.E (religious education), Business studies and ict (Dida- I have already got an A*for it) and get As for: FRench (hopefully), English language and English literature) and Physics (Or maybe an A*). I might take my native language, which is Urdu, and get an A* in it. I don't know if it counts as a gcse though, as it is my mother-tongue.

DO you think these wil be good enough set of gcses?
Original post by BULL14
I think I could get 7/8 A*s out of 12 gcses, these will be in: Biology, chemistry, maths, geography, history, P.R.E (religious education), Business studies and ict (Dida- I have already got an A*for it) and get As for: FRench (hopefully), English language and English literature) and Physics (Or maybe an A*). I might take my native language, which is Urdu, and get an A* in it. I don't know if it counts as a gcse though, as it is my mother-tongue.

DO you think these wil be good enough set of gcses?

I have no knowledge beyond that website. It would suggest that 66%A* or 8A*s would give you a very low chance of getting in.

Quick Reply

Latest