The Student Room Group

Investment Banking Help

Hi Guys, I have recently become interested in investment banking and I have done lots of research on the subject; looking at all the pros and cons. However, I was wondering what a levels would be suitable to study when applying for a prestigious university in economics:

i am thinking - Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Economics

Should I change anything?

also, I know many day that a language is important and I have studied both French IGCSE and Spanish IGCSE, would these suffice ?
Original post by Interest_123
Hi Guys, I have recently become interested in investment banking and I have done lots of research on the subject; looking at all the pros and cons. However, I was wondering what a levels would be suitable to study when applying for a prestigious university in economics:

also, I know many day that a language is important and I have studied both French IGCSE and Spanish IGCSE, would these suffice ?

Sound like good subjects. Just something to bear in mind though; course studied at Uni matters less, it's more about the prestige of the Uni you attend and whether you have relevant work experience.

Try and get into Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial/Warwick if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by j.sethzai
Sound like good subjects. Just something to bear in mind though; course studied at Uni matters less, it's more about the prestige of the Uni you attend and whether you have relevant work experience.

Try and get into Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Imperial/Warwick if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks, I am going to try to get into good unis, but, I heard that to get an internship at JP Morgan you need to be fluent in another language, so, I'm not sure if I should change anything?

Also, I am concerned about the long hours of IB, finance has always interested me, yet, I would also like to have a life outside of the work place
Okay thanks, I am going to try to get into good unis, but, I heard that to get an internship at JP Morgan you need to be fluent in another language, so, I'm not sure if I should change anything?

Also, I am concerned about the long hours of IB, finance has always interested me, yet, I would also like to have a life outside of the work place

Won't happen with IB (though saying that, if everything goes right you could retire early). There are of course other finance related jobs that have better hours.

Definitely would recommend you learn another language. French/German would be ideal.

Re hours, it depends. If you become a trader you get in at 6.30-7 and leave at 5.30pm - ie you only work during market hours

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by j.sethzai
Definitely would recommend you learn another language. French/German would be ideal.

Re hours, it depends. If you become a trader you get in at 6.30-7 and leave at 5.30pm - ie you only work during market hours

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know French and Spanish at an iGCSE level, would that suffice?

I heard that IB analysts work 100 hours a week
Original post by Plasticity
Won't happen with IB (though saying that, if everything goes right you could retire early). There are of course other finance related jobs that have better hours.

I was also thinking of being a stock broker, however, I'm not quite sure about what that entails ?
I know French and Spanish at an iGCSE level, would that suffice?

I heard that IB analysts work 100 hours a week

No, continue learning both until you are proficient.

It depends, there are different aspects to IB. What you're referring to is corporate finance, where the hours can be quite long. If you work in Markets however, where you serve institutional investors, the hours aren't as stressful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What sort of role in investment banking?

http://www.wfsocieties.com/system/uploads/files/000/000/019/original/Vault_Careers_Guide_to_Sales_and_Trading.pdf?1383351665

http://thuvien.ucoz.com/_ld/2/278_Vault_Career_Gu.pdf

Youre welcome

Thanks for those books ! I will have a read after my exams ! Much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending