The Student Room Group

Should female tennis players be paid as much as male ones

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArtGoblin
Plus Bolt is probably the most famous track athlete in the world. I doubt he could name any other track gold medalists unless they are British.

I am tired of women's achievements not being acknowledged simply because of their sex organs. Not just is sports but in general. The men's chess champion is very famous , can make millions from his wins and is often mentioned in the media but nobody ever mentions the female world champion and their prizes are only a tiny fraction. Is she not a world champion too? Why do only men get the spotlight and recognition?
If you want to understand the gulf between men and women in sport just look at athletics. Generally the very best women are about the same standard as a semi-decent male high school athlete. I imagine the difference is slightly smaller in tennis as it is more of a skill based sport but not by much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CherylPrincess
I am tired of women's achievements not being acknowledged simply because of their sex organs. Not just is sports but in general. The men's chess champion is very famous , can make millions from his wins and is often mentioned in the media but nobody ever mentions the female world champion and their prizes are only a tiny fraction. Is she not a world champion too? Why do only men get the spotlight and recognition?

Cause the women's world champion, while being very good, is not as good as the best man? She plays men the whole time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't about sex organs it is about performance. People want to watch the tennis matches that show humanity at it's peak. Men just so happen to be better at tennis then women and therefore command the most coverage.

Even the women professional players admit that the men are better at tennis, I can find quotes for you if you do not accept, but anyone who knows tennis knows it is true.
Not quite. Female football players play in completely different competitions than male footballs whereas tennis players share some of the same competitions. Female tennis players are awarded less for women only tournaments - it is only where there are two competitions in the same tournaments where they are ever awarded the same.

I know, but does the question of whether they're participating in their event at the same overall event as the men matter when deciding how much they should be paid? It should still come down to the same question of how much they actually bring to the table (this is of course very difficult to quantify at a mixed tournament, and at most major tournaments, both sexes will provide a sellout crowd).

I don't have anything against organisers choosing to do it if they want to, but I do think it's a shame they've seemingly been pressured into it for illogical reasons (e.g. dressing it up as equality, when it isn't). Seems more like the men subsidising the women by bringing in a bigger crowd.
(edited 9 years ago)

Also the male chess champions consistently defeat the female champions. This is probably just because more men play chess than women, and therefore they are more likely to have a champion in their midst, but nevertheless, people prefer the male match because it is of higher caliber, not because of the sex organs of those playing it.
Reply 66
I wasn't just talking about British sprinters but for example everyone knows who Mo Farah is in the UK because he's a successful British athletic. What exactly am I deluding myself about?

What point are you trying to make? Say that I do only know the popular names because they're more successful. Don't they deserve to be rewarded for gathering a high level of interest in their events. Why should someone else who fails to gather same amount of interest reap in the reward and deserve equal paying? Supply and demands dominates the world.

Your delusion is saying that men and women deserve equal pay in same events. If so, then the juniors do, the doubles do, the wheelchair tennis do etc etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
There are two schools of thought. (1) People should be paid for the amount of work they do, and (2) people should should be paid for the value of the work they do.

So from the first school of thought, men should be paid more for doing more work.

From the second school of thought, men should be paid more because they attract a larger audience and consequently more tournament sponsors, and consequently bring more money to the game then women do, and therefore a greater proportion of the generated revenue should go towards the men.

But they're not being paid in the traditional way. Tennis players get a prize depending on how well they do in the competition. I know that women's tennis only gets so much attention because their games are played in same competitions as men but they already make significantly less money than men so I don't think it is unfair to men that they get an equal amount in a couple of competitions. After all, the only reason men get so much more than women is because they are men.
But they're not being paid in the traditional way. Tennis players get a prize depending on how well they do in the competition. I know that women's tennis only gets so much attention because their games are played in same competitions as men but they already make significantly less money than men so I don't think it is unfair to men that they get an equal amount in a couple of competitions. After all, the only reason men get so much more than women is because they are men.

Men get paid more, not because they are men, but because they perform tennis at a higher level than women do. The fact men play better tennis is indisputable among those who know about tennis, including the female players themselves who have said it many times in the media.
Original post by 419
What point are you trying to make? Say that I do only know the popular names because they're more successful. Don't they deserve to be rewarded for gathering a high level of interest in their events. Why should someone else who fails to gather same amount of interest reap in the reward and deserve equal paying? Supply and demands dominates the world.

Your delusion is saying that men and women deserve equal pay in same events. If so, then the juniors do, the doubles do, the wheelchair tennis do etc etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point was just because she couldn't name the female 100m gold medalist doesn't mean there is significantly less interest in women's athletics. Bolt is the most famous athlete so it wasn't a fair comparison.

I have never said men and women deserve equal pay in the same events. I'm saying that it isn't an issue that they get the same pay at a couple of events.
After all, the only reason men get so much more than women is because they are men.

I would love to see you justify that statement.
If they play naked im all for it
Of course! Women work just as hard as men! And it's not their fault that they aren't allowed in the male competition, I bet Serena could show Nadal a thing or two.

lol You are really not helping the case for female sports to be taken seriously

You know that prize money at the grand slams has steadily increased I.e. in line with increased sponsorship and tv money. This isn't some absolute prize were talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matthewduncan
If they play naked im all for it

Making sexist comments really doesn't help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
I would love to see you justify that statement.

I'm going to disappoint you I'm afraid - it is only because men are generally bigger, faster, able to push their bodies for longer and harder etc. But it doesn't change the fact that men only get so much attention because they are men. Personally though I don't see the difference in men and women's performances - if they are competing against the same sex anyway it doesn't matter how much better the other sex are. I know there are people who watch sport to see the 'technique' and 'skill' of the players but I'm not the only person who finds that boring.
Reply 76
No they should be paid much less than males
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
You know that prize money at the grand slams has steadily increased I.e. in line with increased sponsorship and tv money. This isn't some absolute prize were talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. What difference does it make?
I'm going to disappoint you I'm afraid - it is only because men are generally bigger, faster, able to push their bodies for longer and harder etc. But it doesn't change the fact that men only get so much attention because they are men. Personally though I don't see the difference in men and women's performances - if they are competing against the same sex anyway it doesn't matter how much better the other sex are. I know there are people who watch sport to see the 'technique' and 'skill' of the players but I'm not the only person who finds that boring.

So why do you watch sport? If you came and watched me and my mate play tennis would you be just as impressed because we are evenly matched and we try hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79

And right on cue, the delusion I was talking about. No, men get paid so much because there's much more interest in the mens game so more money comes into it from tv, gates and sponsorships. Why is the interest so high, no not because of their gonads but because they play at a high level that the share entertainment is seriously off the charts. And to be honest, given that they put themselves in the physical conditions to play well, it isn't surprising.

The point was just because she couldn't name the female 100m gold medalist doesn't mean there is significantly less interest in women's athletics. Bolt is the most famous athlete so it wasn't a fair comparison.

Yes it does. It simply does mean it. Yes, you'll have the general aficionados that have a high degree of interest in it even with them, they're much more interested in the mens game. 100m was already the most popular event before Bolts just took it to another level. I'll bet my money that ask the general lay person, they'll be able to name more male athletes than any of the female counterparts.

I have never said men and women deserve equal pay in the same events. I'm saying that it isn't an issue that they get the same pay at a couple of events.

Yes it is an issue because 1) it's not how the world works 2) it is egregiously unfair as these women are significantly overpaid for doing significantly less work. Of all the female sports are there, female tennis players deserve to be paid the least given how pathetic their physical status is and how terrible their matches- which is continuously encouraged by the likes of you championing this gross overpayment.

Like I said, if female deserves to be paid same as men on the share basis that they're paying in same roof, then the juniors, veterans, wheelchairs, doubles etc deserve the same but they're not because people realise that the interest isn't there and the organisers haven't been bullied into it by feminist propagandas.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest