The Student Room Group

NHS trust says transgender milk just as good for babies as normal milk

I’m no scientist but I really can’t see for the life of me how this could be true. Milk from a woman being, well, utterly natural. Milk that is force generated by a cocktail of drugs by definition seems somewhat less good.. after all, most every prescription drug comes with warnings about breast feeding with it so why this would be an exception?

In either case, what does everyone else thing, would you approve of your child having this (granted rather a limited set of circumstances but for debates sake)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/transgender-womens-breast-milk-babies-nhs-trust-sussex-b1140073.html#:~:text=The%20hospital%20became%20the%20first,non%2Dbinary%20birthing%20people”.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Napp
I’m no scientist but I really can’t see for the life of me how this could be true. Milk from a woman being, well, utterly natural. Milk that is force generated by a cocktail of drugs by definition seems somewhat less good.. after all, most every prescription drug comes with warnings about breast feeding with it so why this would be an exception?

In either case, what does everyone else thing, would you approve of your child having this (granted rather a limited set of circumstances but for debates sake)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/transgender-womens-breast-milk-babies-nhs-trust-sussex-b1140073.html#:~:text=The%20hospital%20became%20the%20first,non%2Dbinary%20birthing%20people”.
I agree with you here, natural breast milk is just that, natural but forcing it using drugs and prescriptions doesn't seem healthy, especially due to the fact that it can be transferred through the milk. However I dont know if that is the case for trans women due to the whole fact that the milk system may not be the same because one is the same and one is artificially induced. I dont know tho, but personally I wouldn't have my kid have any other milk other than the natural milk.
Reply 2
Original post by Tatakae L
I agree with you here, natural breast milk is just that, natural but forcing it using drugs and prescriptions doesn't seem healthy, especially due to the fact that it can be transferred through the milk. However I dont know if that is the case for trans women due to the whole fact that the milk system may not be the same because one is the same and one is artificially induced. I dont know tho, but personally I wouldn't have my kid have any other milk other than the natural milk.

I wasn’t even aware it could be classed as milk in the usable sense. I’d only ever heard of it happening as a side effect or sign of something being pretty wrong with the body. That is to say, something being excreted but was uncomparable to real breast milk.

Interesting seeing some of the right wing news media picking it up though (and left for that matter) with one noting it as progressive management from above and the other an abomination and active child abuse.
Usually I’m one for live and let live but force feeding a baby hormone pumped chemicals just seems wrong. After all, you would absolutely not give any other type of food loaded with drugs and hormones to a baby, or anyone you really cared about if you care about what you ingest.
Male bodies and female bodies are much more similar than they are different. The gender affirming medications trans women take are for the most part, just the hormones that cis women have in the first place - they don't make the body do something radically different from what it was already programmed to do - they just nudge it from one built-in programme to another. Milk produced by trans women is made by the exact same physiological process that cis women do it - it's just that one would have happened anyway, and one was the result of a bit of prompting!

I wouldn't be surprised if, if you gave a sample of milk from a trans woman and milk from a cis woman to a biochemistry lab, they wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. So this makes perfect sense to me!
Reply 4
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Male bodies and female bodies are much more similar than they are different. The gender affirming medications trans women take are for the most part, just the hormones that cis women have in the first place - they don't make the body do something radically different from what it was already programmed to do - they just nudge it from one built-in programme to another. Milk produced by trans women is made by the exact same physiological process that cis women do it - it's just that one would have happened anyway, and one was the result of a bit of prompting!

I wouldn't be surprised if, if you gave a sample of milk from a trans woman and milk from a cis woman to a biochemistry lab, they wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. So this makes perfect sense to me!
To say the male body is programmed to lactate seems a grpss perversion of the facts. Equally, to say that the only difference is this biological male has been gently nudged is willfully ignoring the facts as you well know... To put it simply, these heavy duty drugs are not sold otc for a reason and their inclusion in any form of food is tightly regulated. How it can be compared to nothing more than a simple switch flip seems wantonly blase.

Leaving aside the exceptionally questionable nature of encouraging biological men to 'chestfeed' an unsuspecting babe, the main point of no self respecting parent would ever give their child the type of food loaded with hormones and drugs so why it would be okay to give it to a baby is.. disgraceful to be quite blunt.
By all means, is youre a transsexual have a child if you can. It is a human imperative after all. Inflicting chemical soup on a newborn though is questionable at best. Downright irresponsible of this particular trust to encourage for good measure. After all, children are not simply property to do as you want with.

Simply put, would you seriously, and honestly, be okay with biological male donor milk? I cant speak for many others but from a quick head count of the baby and me group out of 15 of us, all 15 were fairly horrified by the idea.
Original post by Napp
To say the male body is programmed to lactate seems a grpss perversion of the facts. Equally, to say that the only difference is this biological male has been gently nudged is willfully ignoring the facts as you well know... To put it simply, these heavy duty drugs are not sold otc for a reason and their inclusion in any form of food is tightly regulated. How it can be compared to nothing more than a simple switch flip seems wantonly blase.

Leaving aside the exceptionally questionable nature of encouraging biological men to 'chestfeed' an unsuspecting babe, the main point of no self respecting parent would ever give their child the type of food loaded with hormones and drugs so why it would be okay to give it to a baby is.. disgraceful to be quite blunt.
By all means, is youre a transsexual have a child if you can. It is a human imperative after all. Inflicting chemical soup on a newborn though is questionable at best. Downright irresponsible of this particular trust to encourage for good measure. After all, children are not simply property to do as you want with.

Simply put, would you seriously, and honestly, be okay with biological male donor milk? I cant speak for many others but from a quick head count of the baby and me group out of 15 of us, all 15 were fairly horrified by the idea.
'Unsuspecting babe'? I don't imagine babies give a crap about the karotype of whoever's feeding them. Can you clarify what you mean by that sentence?

I think you've fallen for the 'appeal to nature' fallacy. I hate to break it to you, but everything's made of chemicals. Milk produced by cisgender women? Chemical soup. Milk produced by transgender women? Chemical soup. It's not some nebulous witches' brew of chemical X and synthetic oestrogen.

You say 'the male body isn't programmed to lactate'. Technically, the female body isn't either. Milk production requires a chemical trigger (hormones, quelle surprise) that activates when the baby pops out. Cannot stress this enough, natural and synthetic hormones have the same effect on the body. Plenty of cis women take female hormones and I can assure you, they do not turn into Frankenstein's monster.

Also,quick addendum: you call trans women 'biological men' when that's a massive oversimplification. Sex is a spectrum (to an extent) and hinges on multiple characteristics: sex chromosomes, external genitalia, gametes produced, secondary sex characteristics and hormone levels. If a trans woman has surgery and takes hormones, her phenotype differs drastically from a cisgender male's, especially if she never went through testosterone-based puberty.
Original post by NameUserer
'Unsuspecting babe'? I don't imagine babies give a crap about the karotype of whoever's feeding them. Can you clarify what you mean by that sentence?

I think you've fallen for the 'appeal to nature' fallacy. I hate to break it to you, but everything's made of chemicals. Milk produced by cisgender women? Chemical soup. Milk produced by transgender women? Chemical soup. It's not some nebulous witches' brew of chemical X and synthetic oestrogen.

You say 'the male body isn't programmed to lactate'. Technically, the female body isn't either. Milk production requires a chemical trigger (hormones, quelle surprise) that activates when the baby pops out. Cannot stress this enough, natural and synthetic hormones have the same effect on the body. Plenty of cis women take female hormones and I can assure you, they do not turn into Frankenstein's monster.

Also,quick addendum: you call trans women 'biological men' when that's a massive oversimplification. Sex is a spectrum (to an extent) and hinges on multiple characteristics: sex chromosomes, external genitalia, gametes produced, secondary sex characteristics and hormone levels. If a trans woman has surgery and takes hormones, her phenotype differs drastically from a cisgender male's, especially if she never went through testosterone-based puberty.

Came here to say much of what you are already very eloquently saying, good job!

I'll just emphasise then, @Napp, that the bloodstream of a cis woman already contains the hormones that trans women take. Cis women have an internal source for them (their ovaries mostly) and trans women have an external source (the pharmacy). But they're the same damn chemicals. If they were going to cause a problem for breastfed babies, they would already be causing a problem. And there's no problem.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7

Considering babies are literally just instinct your 'point' is more than slightly flawed from the outset dear. A baby wouldn't care if you fed it arsenic until it died.

As to the second paragraph, if you cant tell the inherent ridiculousness in comparing something that is naturally produced by the body for this express purpose to something utterly fake, well.

I replied to another comment, i originally never said anything about 'programming' your assertion that lactation is somehow not natural is utterly bizarre though. Almost all aspects of bodily function require a chemical or hormonal trigger - equally lactation does not 'start when the baby pops out'.

Thats your limited opinion on the matter. Gender might be a spectrum, sex is not. Without getting into a pointless debate on this, we are talking about a biological male being pumped full of drugs and hormones to artificially make "milk". Whether you object to the, completely correct, description of biological male is beside the point.

Than gain, your entire post hasn't actually addressed a single point made on either the efficacy or, well, ethics, of force feeding babies unnatural 'milk'. Instead, you seem to be on the weirdly unscientific track of 'its fine and progressive' without any actual reason, as opposed to vague corollaries and assumptions. After all, simply saying normal lactation being triggered by hormones is absolutely not the same as this, only someone utterly illiterate on biology would even attempt to claim it.
Reply 8
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Came here to say much of what you are already very eloquently saying, good job!

I'll just emphasise then, @Napp, that the bloodstream of a cis woman already contains the hormones that trans women take. Cis women have an internal source for them (their ovaries mostly) and trans women have an external source (the pharmacy). But they're the same damn chemicals. If they were going to cause a problem for breastfed babies, they would already be causing a problem. And there's no problem.
BEfore we get into the multitude of issues in that statement, let me put it this way in real simple terms:
Everyones bodies contains testosterone, would you be happy eating hormone pumped food or taking steroids? After all, its perfectly natural by your definition and is exactly the same logic you just used.
Simply put, unless you'd care to explain the full logic train other than 'women have hormones to', why you think its either natural or perfectly safe to feed a baby 'milk' from someone who;
a) should not be able to make it in the first place without massive chemical assistance
b) Literally, no doctor outside of specific medical circumstances would ever advocate dumping unnessery artificial hormones into a baby (just think how upset they get about a little apap)

It does rather lead me to the conclusion, especially given both this trusts history and your posting history, that the only reason youre really supporting it is for ideological 'progressive' reasons. After all, in no other circumstance does any sane parent support hormone dumping a baby, or child for that matter.
Out of interest, do you have kids, would you honestly be happy allowing them to have this 'milk' which is, by its very definition, (not even in a rude way, simple dictionary definition) unnatural?
The "chemical" in question is oestrogen.

Otherwise it's one that cis women also are given if they struggle to breastfeed?

So either the one which is "new" is one that is present normally in cis women as well, or one that is "absent" which if absent in cis women is also given to them.

Either way there is literally no way to frame your argument as anything but transphobic commentary aimed at marginalising trans women. Or you are just against breastfeeding in general.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 10
Men have breast tissue too. In transitioning the oestrogen trans take should stimulate the further development of the existing breast tissue which I guess could be further stimulated to produce milk. The science and research suggest it's bioequivalent. Whether you consider it natural or not depends on your social programming I guess.
I can only go on what the article says, given I didn't realise trans women could lactate until I read it, but if trans women can develop 'milk-producing glands' and produce milk, then the science seems to be on the side of it being fine.

Anything else seems to be people forming opinions on politics rather than science, and a sudden focus on 'chemicals' is a very 00s E-numbers-style moral panic. (The chemicals are apparently exactly what are given to cis women too when they're struggling to lactate?)
Absolutely zero issue with this.
Reply 13
*******. Insane.

Sex is NOT a spectrum. Dr Wright debunks that myth here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-rhLH5lYi4

Science should not be confused with ideology, and medicine should never be practised for ideological reasons. Please see the Cass Review and "Time to Think" by Hannah Barnes for the catastrophic impact of ideological medicine at the Tavistock.

"Trans women" are biologically male, and remain so notwithstanding medical interventions, surgical or otherwise. Sex differences are not something which occur only in adolescence.

You appear to be posting from an ideological standpoint rather than from one based on science.

https://www.pittparents.com/p/no-such-thing-as-the-wrong-puberty
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I can only go on what the article says, given I didn't realise trans women could lactate until I read it, but if trans women can develop 'milk-producing glands' and produce milk, then the science seems to be on the side of it being fine.

Anything else seems to be people forming opinions on politics rather than science, and a sudden focus on 'chemicals' is a very 00s E-numbers-style moral panic. (The chemicals are apparently exactly what are given to cis women too when they're struggling to lactate?)

I suggest that you don't just accept one source on this issue. By doing so you risk forming a view on incomplete information. Gender ideologists often make large claims about science which, on analysis, cannot be verified. Fundamentals of human biology can't be altered by any amount of wishful thinking. On the subject in general, "Material Girls" by Kathleen Stock is a fair minded and well informed analysis.
I don’t care if I’m being honest, if it’s proven to be just as good despite the sex then be it 🤷🏾*♀️.
Reply 18
Original post by artful_lounger
The "chemical" in question is oestrogen you ghoul.

Otherwise it's one that cis women also are given if they struggle to breastfeed?

So either the one which is "new" is one that is present normally in cis women as well, or one that is "absent" which if absent in cis women is also given to them.

Either way there is literally no way to frame your argument as anything but transphobic commentary aimed at marginalising trans women. Or you are just against breastfeeding in general.

I suggest you read the article a little deeper before making yourself look even more foolish :smile:
As to ‘transphobic’ does that even have a meaning anymore or is it just an insult your sort use for anything you don’t like?
Supporters of gender ideology often attempt to stifle debate by accusing those who question gender ideology of transphobia, but the expression of views in opposition to gender ideology is legally protected by the Equalities Act 2010 and by the Forstater decision.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending