The Student Room Group

CURRENT STUDENT - Economics at uni of nottingham - ask me something.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by economicsuon
I am a current student at the University of Nottingham and I have just finished my first year. I remember when I was applying for university I would stalk TSR and wish there was a current student to ask questions about the course, the uni etc, so if anyone who is applying here for this course or thinking about it has any questions, FIRE AWAY. :smile:

Hi, do they introduce you the economic course such as the basics? I am not doing Economics A-level but Math, Chemistry and D&T PD. Also what is Economics like, other than the maths?
Original post by Successbyhw18
Basically I need your guidance on whether to apply to Notts for your course as I'm uncertain. I collected my AS results and got AAAB with the B in maths unfortunately. It was quite high and so i'll retake a module to get it to an A grade. But I was wondering if I'm still in with a good chance of getting in to read Economics at Nottingham.

I'd say you'd be in with a good chance especially if you can get at least one of the three A's predicted as an A* and the B in maths predicted as an A then you'd be applying with A*AA and I think you'd have a great chance - providing you have a strong personal statement.
Original post by Ze Witcher
Hi, do they introduce you the economic course such as the basics? I am not doing Economics A-level but Math, Chemistry and D&T PD. Also what is Economics like, other than the maths?

So there are introductory mathematics sessions for those who didn't take A-Level maths, then when all modules begin the first week or two is fairly introductory so you wont be thrown into anything too intense.

I'd advise to get yourself even more up to speed to buy a microeconomics textbook and try and read some of the opening chapters understanding things such as indifference curves, utility, supply&demand and so on... this is a great starting point.
Thanks so much. Would you say that it's wise to apply for a joint honours course like economics and geography at another university with regards to the way the statement is written or would it ruin my chances as I would focus on aspects of human geography more when I should be focusing on economics. This is something I'm looking to do at other unis.

I'd say you'd be in with a good chance especially if you can get at least one of the three A's predicted as an A* and the B in maths predicted as an A then you'd be applying with A*AA and I think you'd have a great chance - providing you have a strong personal statement.
Hi, not sure if this had been asked before, but how much do they look at your GCSE results? And if I do really well at A level, could I work past them?
I am a current student at the University of Nottingham and I have just finished my first year. I remember when I was applying for university I would stalk TSR and wish there was a current student to ask questions about the course, the uni etc, so if anyone who is applying here for this course or thinking about it has any questions, FIRE AWAY. :smile:

As Im someone who hasn't done Economics at A-level, do they teach you how to structure your essay questions at uni? This is one of things I am worried about as the only sort of writing courses I am doing is a little bit in Chemistry and a fair bit in D&T.
Also, are essays hard to write? And are there people in your year who haven't done Economics at A-level. Thank you in advance
Original post by Successbyhw18
Thanks so much. Would you say that it's wise to apply for a joint honours course like economics and geography at another university with regards to the way the statement is written or would it ruin my chances as I would focus on aspects of human geography more when I should be focusing on economics. This is something I'm looking to do at other unis.

For that I'm honestly not sure as I applied for BSc Econ for all of my choices. But if you can write a good statement which doesn't hint too strongly at the fact you're applying for a straight Geography degree you may be okay - I'd speak to your tutor at your sixth form/college as they'll have good advice for that
Original post by Iceman88
Hi, not sure if this had been asked before, but how much do they look at your GCSE results? And if I do really well at A level, could I work past them?

I think almost definitely as I was in a similar position
Original post by Ze Witcher
As Im someone who hasn't done Economics at A-level, do they teach you how to structure your essay questions at uni? This is one of things I am worried about as the only sort of writing courses I am doing is a little bit in Chemistry and a fair bit in D&T.
Also, are essays hard to write? And are there people in your year who haven't done Economics at A-level. Thank you in advance

Yes there are modules that teach you how to structure essays and shorter questions so you should be fine. I'm sure there would have been students in my cohort who hadn't taken econ at A-level
Reply 229
hello is there a list of books to buy before starting the course or they give it to us once we get there. Can we find them online?
Hi, congratulations on your graduation. I am starting the Economics BA/BSc at Nottingham in a couple of weeks. I only did Maths up to AS Level and was wondering whether I would be able to cope with the work load or if it best to start doing some revision now. Also, which modules would you recommend choosing which are less maths orientated and more essay based.
Reply 231

Hi

I would like to ask if you had stayed at Willoughby Hall or have friends who stayed there. I am allocated to a single study room type in this hall and am a little apprehensive.
Original post by alvosm
hello is there a list of books to buy before starting the course or they give it to us once we get there. Can we find them online?

Looking at the list of modules online they usually list the recommended texts yes - you must of course decide your modules first!
Original post by Ish636737
Hi, congratulations on your graduation. I am starting the Economics BA/BSc at Nottingham in a couple of weeks. I only did Maths up to AS Level and was wondering whether I would be able to cope with the work load or if it best to start doing some revision now. Also, which modules would you recommend choosing which are less maths orientated and more essay based.

Congrats!

Yes you should be able to cope if you put the work in I would do some prior work and take the classes they offer for those without full A level maths.

I would take the QE option instead of Mathematical Econ and Intro to Econometrics in the 1st year, they are the same amount of credits and easier so it would be silly not to!
Also, speaking with your tutor they will be able to advise you best on this as I have not taken all of the modules available, a few first year modules that are less maths based include:
Economic integration I
Economic integration II
Current Economic Issues II
Development Economics
Original post by Eliz3
Hi

I would like to ask if you had stayed at Willoughby Hall or have friends who stayed there. I am allocated to a single study room type in this hall and am a little apprehensive.

I haven't sorry - but I'm sure you'll meet loads of great people there on the first day!
AAAA at AS level in Maths, Geography, Economics and History, UMS of 269/300 and 191/200 for the first two respectively, dropping History, 6A*, 4A, 1C at GCSE - what do you reckon my chances of getting an offer from Notts for Economics are please? And also would I be more likely to get an A*AA offer or an AAA offer? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joddcfc
AAAA at AS level in Maths, Geography, Economics and History, UMS of 269/300 and 191/200 for the first two respectively, dropping History, 6A*, 4A, 1C at GCSE - what do you reckon my chances of getting an offer from Notts for Economics are please? And also would I be more likely to get an A*AA offer or an AAA offer? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely and not sure about which grades your offer will be, but everyone I know who got a Notts econ offer got AAA so
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alex_david97
Definitely and not sure about which grades your offer will be, but everyone I know who got a Notts econ offer got AAA so

Ah okay, cheers :smile:
I'm currently at nottingham doing economics in my first year and I was wondering what modules you recommend taking?? I was planning on the maths route so I'm more prepared for the module in third year as I want a BSc but I'm not sure about the optional modules such as Economic integration I or Economics perspectives and all the rest, any advice based on what you took?

I was wondering if they would still consider me, because I got 4A* 6As and 1B in my GCSEs, that 1 B was in maths, but it was 2 marks off an A, and I'm currently taking economics, russian, politics and history. They ask for an A in gcse maths which I dont have but do you know if they make exceptions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending