The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham University- change course

Hi,

I will be studying American studies at Nottingham but I was wondering how likely is it to change to accounting, finance and management (AFM)

I think I can do well while studying AFM as I already know most of the basics like reading and understanding the 3 financial statements. I also know how to do a DCF. I did not meet the grade requirements for AFM, which is why I am doing American studies.

I have also worked in finance for a year.

I was also wondering, is American studies a good course for a career in finance. Is it true that people care more about the university you attended compared to the course you study? I am interested in a career in equity research.

Nottingham university
Original post by Kingroyal
Hi,

I will be studying American studies at Nottingham but I was wondering how likely is it to change to accounting, finance and management (AFM)

I think I can do well while studying AFM as I already know most of the basics like reading and understanding the 3 financial statements. I also know how to do a DCF. I did not meet the grade requirements for AFM, which is why I am doing American studies.

I was also wondering, is American studies a good course for a career in finance. Is it true that people care more about the university you attended compared to the course you study? I am interested in a career in equity research.

Nottingham university

Hi, is it Trent or Uni of Nottingham? If it's FAM at UoN I would definitely ask admissions. Usually the course is full and they don't allow transfers from what I know. They are quite strict with this.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Hi,

Nottingham university

Did you speak to the Business school and how did it go? I'm currently trying to change courses too but am worried there's not going to be any spaces left after clearing and A level results day.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, is it Trent or Uni of Nottingham? If it's FAM at UoN I would definitely ask admissions. Usually the course is full and they don't allow transfers from what I know. They are quite strict with this.

Sorry for the late reply. It's Uni of Nottingham. Are they strict with Politics and economics? I am looking to do Politics and American studies right now and like the course but I was looking to do something more related to do the fiance field. The grade requirements are similar for both courses and I meet the A level grades for Politics and Economics but I do not meet the GCSE requirement.

Do you think I will be able to change once Uni starts?

I was also wondering if you have any knowledge of taking outside Modules. I want to take some accounting, finance and Economics modules if I am not able to switch from Politics and economics. Do you know how much of outside modules related to finance I can take every year?
Reply 4
Did you speak to the Business school and how did it go? I'm currently trying to change courses too but am worried there's not going to be any spaces left after clearing and A level results day.

I wasn't able to change to AFM. The course is all filled up. You might be able to change once uni starts but it might be more difficult.

You may also be able to do outside modules. What course are you doing right now?
I wasn't able to change to AFM. The course is all filled up. You might be able to change once uni starts but it might be more difficult.

You may also be able to do outside modules. What course are you doing right now?

I'm doing business management atm but I wanted to change to politics, if your interested in doing finance you could try management as we did accounting modules and if you get a good grade it gives you exemptions to accounting exams. Did they say that there may be more places once term starts or were you just told to apply for 24/25.
Reply 6
I'm doing business management atm but I wanted to change to politics, if your interested in doing finance you could try management as we did accounting modules and if you get a good grade it gives you exemptions to accounting exams. Did they say that there may be more places once term starts or were you just told to apply for 24/25.

I am Just assuming they might let people transfer to other courses.

You could try apply to a joint Honours degree as they are on clearing. There's Politics and American studies. Politics and history. And politics and International relations

FAM was in clearing this year but it did fill up quickly. I know that usually when you ask to transfer from outside of the business school they are quite strict. Howevr, you never know they may take you.
Sorry for the late reply. It's Uni of Nottingham. Are they strict with Politics and economics? I am looking to do Politics and American studies right now and like the course but I was looking to do something more related to do the fiance field. The grade requirements are similar for both courses and I meet the A level grades for Politics and Economics but I do not meet the GCSE requirement.

Do you think I will be able to change once Uni starts?

I was also wondering if you have any knowledge of taking outside Modules. I want to take some accounting, finance and Economics modules if I am not able to switch from Politics and economics. Do you know how much of outside modules related to finance I can take every year?

If GCSE requirements are not met I doubt they would take you for the course but you could ask. I am sure you can take up to 20 credits outside of your course but you do have to meet the criteria for taking modules outside of your course. There may be pre- requisites
FAM was in clearing this year but it did fill up quickly. I know that usually when you ask to transfer from outside of the business school they are quite strict. Howevr, you never know they may take you.

Do you know if history or politics is strict with this too?
Do you know if history or politics is strict with this too?

I'm not too sure about those courses to be honest but your best way forward is to email or contact the university.
Unless you have this agreed before starting I’d be wary. Nottingham are not usually happy to let you transfer once you start unless it’s perhaps a low attended course with space. Unlikely to be AFM as they’re quite well known for that & Economics so they’ll likely be full.

I wouldn’t recommend starting any old course at a Uni in the hope you can change once there as this is often very difficult and discouraged. You could be left doing something you don’t like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending