The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham, For Economics

hello, how are you all? I recently got my conditional offer from university of Nottingham, and University of Birmingham. while I am waiting for a reply from my other two top choices, I just waned to know among the two which university is a better choice for Economics, as I was finding it a little hard to understand the same.
Any reponse would be of great help!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Vaishnavi.j
hello, how are you all? I recently got my conditional offer from university of Nottingham, and University of Birmingham. while I am waiting for a reply from my other two top choices, I just waned to know among the two which university is a better choice for Economics, as I was finding it a little hard to understand the same.

There are lots of non-course related factors that go into choosing where to study (e.g. campus,. location, accomodation, etc) but people's views on these are quite subjective so I'll keep my answer strictly course/department/careers related.

Firstly, congrats on the offers, they're both solid courses. Generally, Nottingham is considered stronger for economics degrees and this is across all the factors I mentioned. Birmingham doesn't even have it's own economics department, it's lumped into its business school because it's not very big and doesn't get a tonne of funding. It also makes a lot of their marketing for the course nonsensical - talking about how good the business school is (and by implication their economics course) because it's triple accredited, yet being accredited by accounting bodies has absolutely no relevance for an economics degree (just something to mislead applicants).

In comparison, Nottingham has its own economics department, separate from its business school (which is generally a good signal when you're also looking at other unis). Nottingham has a better rep in the economics community and from looking through the modules, the Nottingham course generally has more advanced content (but this is something that's only clear to those who've studied all these subjects and know the quality of the textbooks used - difficult for school students).

While I don't think many economics organizations (e.g. government departments, public sector institutions, private sector firms) would have much of a preference for one over the other, if you're looking to go into finance, then Nottingham is generally seen as a stronger university to apply from. And all this isn't to say that one can't do better from Birmingham vs Notts, it's just about averages.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your message I found it very helpful!
Reply 3

Hi did you firm Nottingham?
Original post by Jas921
Hi did you firm Nottingham?

Hello! Actually i am still considering but most probably i will be putting it as my firm choice. What about you if you dont mind me asking
Reply 5
Hello! Actually i am still considering but most probably i will be putting it as my firm choice. What about you if you dont mind me asking

Yes I’ve firmed it for Economics!
Original post by Jas921
Yes I’ve firmed it for Economics!

Thats great i will let u know soon about it!

Hey, have you applied for Masters in Economics at Nottingham?

How likely is it that economics at some Russel groupunis will be in clearing😭 I haven’t done econ atalevel but I did maths chem bio and got AAB lastyear but I was hoping they might lower therequirements a bit for clearing since it’s usually AAAfor an offer. Im leaving the first year course I’m incurrently as I don’t enjoy it. Is there anyone that’s gotten into econ throughclearing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending