The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Opinions on Uni of Nottingham? Especially accommodation and cost of living wise!

I’m sort of in between Sheffield and Nottingham for uni choices but my top choice is Nottingham. For my course (Economics) I’m aware Notts is a bit better than Sheffield hence why I’m leaning that way. I asked on TSR about accommodations and everyone was saying that the catered accoms on campus were the best. All of those tend to be around 200-240 a week which is straight up unaffordable for me.
On the other hand Sheffield seems to be pretty great when it comes to accommodation and living costs.

I really want to hear current/former students opinions about whether the catered (and cheaper) accoms are good socially, and if so, which ones are the best in terms of social life. Another point is what sort of rents do people look at in 2nd and 3rd years once they’re out of halls? Also I’m very interested to hear how expensive life at Notts tends to be on a week to week basis!

For some context I’m a home student on the minimum loan but am unlikely to receive much for living costs and I’m working atm to save up for uni. I’m quite a social person who enjoys going out and whatnot so yeah advice would be great!
Original post by Anonymous
I’m sort of in between Sheffield and Nottingham for uni choices but my top choice is Nottingham. For my course (Economics) I’m aware Notts is a bit better than Sheffield hence why I’m leaning that way. I asked on TSR about accommodations and everyone was saying that the catered accoms on campus were the best. All of those tend to be around 200-240 a week which is straight up unaffordable for me.
On the other hand Sheffield seems to be pretty great when it comes to accommodation and living costs.
I really want to hear current/former students opinions about whether the catered (and cheaper) accoms are good socially, and if so, which ones are the best in terms of social life. Another point is what sort of rents do people look at in 2nd and 3rd years once they’re out of halls? Also I’m very interested to hear how expensive life at Notts tends to be on a week to week basis!
For some context I’m a home student on the minimum loan but am unlikely to receive much for living costs and I’m working atm to save up for uni. I’m quite a social person who enjoys going out and whatnot so yeah advice would be great!
Hi, I’ve firmed Nottingham and put Sheffield as my insurance but from what I’ve seen Sheffield is really good for economics, ignoring any league tables. My cousin currently goes and loves it and says all accom is very good and he has reviewed plenty of opportunities from it through summer internships so I’m sure either one is fine. He says Sheffield is very sociable too!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Hey! i went to Sheffield for abit and now dropped out and reapplied for nottingham ( i didn’t like the course sociology and wanted to do something else). i would say sheffield accomdation is ranked one of the top, however u have to keep in mind that endcliffe campus is 35 min walk everyday to the buildings which can be exhausting and city accom most don’t rlly live there unless it’s postgraduates or international. However it is much cheaper than nottingham in general - 165-180. The houses in 2nd yr are close and much more affordable like 110-120 per week which is good!

I have applied to nottingham and know a few friends currently there. My parnter wasn’t in a catered accomdation and it was rlly good tbh! it’s riverside point- the accomdation has good social life and they are now living with the flat she had with first year! the bedrooms are double and much more affordable but nicer than the catered so u wouldn’t be missing out as much! plus u can always meet up with the caterer on campus!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending