The Student Room Group

CURRENT STUDENT - Economics at uni of nottingham - ask me something.

Scroll to see replies

I'm studying Economics, Finance and Business and just got AS results of AAA. I'm applying to Nott and really want to study Economics with Chinese Studies. - anyone heard much about the course?
I am already at Bristol studying economics but I really dislike it and I am strongly considering not even finishing my first year and I want to apply to Nottingham. I got A*AB in Maths, Econ and Biology at A-level and 7A*s 3As at GCSE, do you think I have a good chance of getting in?
Original post by tiengoku
I am already at Bristol studying economics but I really dislike it and I am strongly considering not even finishing my first year and I want to apply to Nottingham. I got A*AB in Maths, Econ and Biology at A-level and 7A*s 3As at GCSE, do you think I have a good chance of getting in?

Sorry, I can't help but I'm curious. Why do you not like it there? Great grades by the way :h:
Original post by Ze Witcher
Sorry, I can't help but I'm curious. Why do you not like it there? Great grades by the way :h:

I regret taking the finance side of the course and the Econ side of the course right now is terrible and I don't enjoy studying it that much. I am going to miss the people I have met here because some of them have honestly been so interesting but I just can't see myself here for three years.
I regret taking the finance side of the course and the Econ side of the course right now is terrible and I don't enjoy studying it that much. I am going to miss the people I have met here because some of them have honestly been so interesting but I just can't see myself here for three years.

What would you have studied instead?
Original post by MajorFader
What would you have studied instead?

I still want to do Econ but just at a different uni, I'm not liking the course here in all honesty.
I still want to do Econ but just at a different uni, I'm not liking the course here in all honesty.

Is it the maths that's a problem?
What were your predicted grades and A level choices to gain the unconditional offer?
Original post by uon2015
Hi mate, I've got an unconditional offer from Nottingham to study BSc industrial economics. I was just wondering how is this degree viewed upon compared to the L100 Bsc Economics at Nottingham? In terms of job prospects, can you still get into IB with industrial eco?Also, this is my main question and it's to do with optional modules - in the first year you can take up to 10 credits worth of optional approved modules... can these be taken with the maths or economics department?and are there any industrial eco students in your lectures? I definitely want to go into the financial industry in the future.
Thanks a lot

What were your predicted grades/ subjects for A level to gain the unconditional ?
Reply 249
Going to study PPE (not doing A level maths) - was wondering how mathmatical the econ course is?
I was wondering how many people you know got into Nottingham for economics with lower grades than A*AA, because I know a few people from my school that have gotten in with AAA and one with AAB for economics!!
Hi,
what type of assessments do you have in the first year? And do they count for the degree as a whole?
Reply 252
Hey,

Does anyone know what kind of essays you have to do in the degree as I'm considering Economics Bsc at potentially Nottingham and how much is essays and how much is maths?

Thanks
Original post by abby.grierson
I was wondering how many people you know got into Nottingham for economics with lower grades than A*AA, because I know a few people from my school that have gotten in with AAA and one with AAB for economics!!

AAB???? seriously? I need to get A*AA
my insurance choice is AAB
Original post by JZ7800
Hey,

Does anyone know what kind of essays you have to do in the degree as I'm considering Economics Bsc at potentially Nottingham and how much is essays and how much is maths?

Thanks

Hey!

First time I've been on TSR for a whileeeeee been bogged down with the life of an investment banker haha so much fun...

If you love/hate essays you can structure it to do lots/few essay related modules it's not so much like an A level where you can't really decide what exams you do. I'd take a look at the module catalogue on the website and you can see the kinds of modules you can take. From memory if you like essays certain modules would be: Political Economics, Health Economics, any historical economy module (you can see a trend here).

Whereas the less essay based ones would include: Monetary Economics, Financial Economics, any econometric module (however essays may still be expected just perhaps fewer).

Hope this helps
Original post by studentigcse
AAB???? seriously? I need to get A*AA

Hey this is probably true...

Since they removed resits (I believe) the average grades achieved have probably lowered so they may be slightly more relaxed on the entry criteria
Reply 257
Original post by economicsuon
Hey!

First time I've been on TSR for a whileeeeee been bogged down with the life of an investment banker haha so much fun...

If you love/hate essays you can structure it to do lots/few essay related modules it's not so much like an A level where you can't really decide what exams you do. I'd take a look at the module catalogue on the website and you can see the kinds of modules you can take. From memory if you like essays certain modules would be: Political Economics, Health Economics, any historical economy module (you can see a trend here).

Whereas the less essay based ones would include: Monetary Economics, Financial Economics, any econometric module (however essays may still be expected just perhaps fewer).

Hope this helps

First of all, thanks for replying :smile: I'm definitely more of the maths type rather than writing long essays so I would lean towards the modules that you suggested. I'll head your advice and will definitely check out the modules available to take. I enjoy studying economics at A-Level but I thought it was mostly essay based. The theory is intriguing and I'll most likely further study the subject at uni.

Many thanks (and hope the job doesn't stress you out too much)
Original post by economicsuon
Hey!

Hope this helps

Hey, how easy have you found it to find a job at an investment bank after studying economics at Nottingham? Which one are you working at? And is it a internship or already a full time analyst?
6.00am until 10.00pm? Really!!! WHY?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending