The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i dunno lol, the highest I guess :p:
Reply 21
I played the 1st movement of Ravel's violin sonata for my main piece at AS level. It's on the LRSM syllabus so it's fairly advanced, though I reckon having someone really good on the piano part (as I did!) makes it much easier and more enjoyable to play.

For my 2nd performance I played Rachmaninov's B major prelude for piano. It's about grade 6 standard.

For my A2 coursework, I played the piano and recorded Ravel's Pavane pour une infante defunte (an easy grade 8) and Bach's Italian Concerto Mvmt 3 (a more tricky grade 8)... I sent one of them off. For my recital I played lots of 20th century violin music (Ravel, Hindemith, Berkeley, Martinu and some jazz), some easy stuff and some more technically demanding pieces.

I was equally confident with everything I played and got decent A grades for my performances.
Reply 22
For AS I think I played mostly grade 7 standard piano pieces. For the ensemble, I just used one of the performances from the recent school production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat" I accompanied... good fun! :smile:

For A2, the pieces were mostly grade 8... there were two grade 7 pieces and a DipABRSM piece though. My recital theme was 20th century piano music. I really enjoyed preparing for that... I added a rather atonal piece to the programme - something I've not really tried playing before, so it was fun to learn (I also enjoyed seeing people's faces when they heard me play it!!).

Luckily I didn't drop any marks in any of the performing units of the A-Level... the performing marks managed to save my overall grade after Edexcel awarded a catastrophic mark for Unit 6 (seriously, it almost looks like they forgot to add the marks for the two papers of the unit together... but I wouldn't appeal at risk of dropping a grade).

Latest