The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

There's sooo much I don't know!

Hurrah, so after some turd screwed up marking my exam and it became evident that Bristol are hairy asscheeses, it turns out I'm going to Manchester to study Economics in September!

I'm actually dead excited, but still haven't receieved any other information from the university other than was sent out when I got my offer, so I have quite a lot of questions.

1. When is Freshers Week?
I was supposed to be on holiday when term starts, but will come back a bit early now :biggrin: but if Freshers is before the 18th, which I assume it could be then it's not really worth me going at all)

2. Will I get into any decent accomodation?
I applied online for Burkhardt, Dalton Ellis and Hulme on friday, but havent received any acknowledgement or anything. In the brochure I just saw that Burkhardt was "High Demand" so that was clearly stupid, but the others are big right? Was I being far too optimistic and is there any likelihood i will end up anywhere remotely within walking distance of the city?

Yeah I think that's all my questions for now lol! Any answers at all would be brilliant.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I-am-so-boned
Hurrah, so after some turd screwed up marking my exam and it became evident that Bristol are hairy asscheeses, it turns out I'm going to Manchester to study Economics in September!

I'm actually dead excited, but still haven't receieved any other information from the university other than was sent out when I got my offer, so I have quite a lot of questions.

1. When is Freshers Week?
I was supposed to be on holiday when term starts, but will come back a bit early now :biggrin: but if Freshers is before the 18th, which I assume it could be then it's not really worth me going at all)

2. Will I get into any decent accomodation?
I applied online for Burkhardt, Dalton Ellis and Hulme on friday, but havent received any acknowledgement or anything. In the brochure I just saw that Burkhardt was "High Demand" so that was clearly stupid, but the others are big right? Was I being far too optimistic and is there any likelihood i will end up anywhere remotely within walking distance of the city?

Yeah I think that's all my questions for now lol! Any answers at all would be brilliant.

Freshers week will start on the 18th.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
1. Freshers week starts on the 18th but you can move into your accomodation from the 14th September.

2. You probs won't get any "In High Demand" accomodation, but you never know... you'll most likely get into your second or thrid choice, although wherever you end up I'm sure you'll have a great time!

In terms of wanting to be within walking distance of the city, even if you end up in Fallowfield there's a bus aprox every 2 mins on Oxford Road so if you don't want to walk you won't have to. :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks so much for your help guys. I've come up with a cunning plan... I'm gonna ring up the accomodation office tomorrow and plead with them that I can't cook and to put me in a catered hall (none of them seem that far out) and maybe I can avoid being stuck in Broomcroft house or somewhere like that :smile: Freshers week is the same week as the first week of term then or is it just an extra acclimatization on top of the first 4 days?

Thanks.
Pete
Reply 4
I-am-so-boned
Thanks so much for your help guys. I've come up with a cunning plan... I'm gonna ring up the accomodation office tomorrow and plead with them that I can't cook and to put me in a catered hall (none of them seem that far out) and maybe I can avoid being stuck in Broomcroft house or somewhere like that :smile: Freshers week is the same week as the first week of term then or is it just an extra acclimatization on top of the first 4 days?

Thanks.
Pete

You have to check with some of the nicer halls. They're only for Postgrads.
Reply 5
yeees but what times the last bus !
Reply 6
On Oxford Road? Depends some of them run until about 3 in the morning on a Friday. Besides you can walk it back to most student accommodation.
~Rogue~
On Oxford Road? Depends some of them run until about 3 in the morning on a Friday. Besides you can walk it back to most student accommodation.

I wish I could walk back to mine :frown:
Reply 8
Find some pretty guy each night and stay at their place :smile:
Reply 9
Now there's a thought. Or alternatively make friends with someone who is in a hall closer to town and kip in their room.
anyone know what the policy is on overnight stay for visitors??
xx
Reply 11
I read it somewhere. I think they can stay 4 nights a week.

EDIT: You can only have one guest to stay and for up to 4 nights a week and they are not allowed to visit so frequently they are considered semi-permenant residents. You can hire fold up beds.

You can have up to 3 guest at other times and they must stay with you at all times.
Thanks! I thought I'd read it too somewhere, but all of a sudden I can't seem to find anything !!
Thanks! I thought I'd read it too somewhere, but all of a sudden I can't seem to find anything !!
Reply 14
From what I've heard though, I'm given the impression that they aren't actually that stricton it though... I visited a mate in Owens Park last year, there were 3 of of us kipping in a mates room for 2nights. No-one batted an eye-lid.
Reply 15
Kiteo
From what I've heard though, I'm given the impression that they aren't actually that stricton it though... I visited a mate in Owens Park last year, there were 3 of of us kipping in a mates room for 2nights. No-one batted an eye-lid.

Well it said you could have 3 guests at other times and if they accidentally fall asleep well......................... having said that I went back and kipped in some student rooms with a mate last year and there were 5 of us then. (people kept falling off the bed during the night)
Also, does anyone know if we have to inform the Uni if we can't move in on the 14th?...I can only get up there on the 16th because of my parents working during the week. Anyone else not moving in until the 16th? x
Reply 17
[QUOTE='[Napoletana]']Also, does anyone know if we have to inform the Uni if we can't move in on the 14th?...I can only get up there on the 16th because of my parents working during the week. Anyone else not moving in until the 16th? x

I swear someone said said only to notify them if is was after the 18th or something, but don't quote me on that.

I'm not going until the 16th either, for the same reason, so if anyone could shed some light on the matter - would be appreciated :smile:
Kiteo are you staying in Oak House?

x
Reply 19
I am indeed, Chestnut Court to be precise - yourself?

Latest

Trending

Trending