The Student Room Group

Leeds or Leicester?

hi guys I honestly need some advice for choosing my firm as I got unconditionals for diagnostic radiography at both.

Leeds is the top university for DRad, has amazing facilities and is a highly ranked university. The downsides is that is not as diverse (I’m a black girl) and it’s quite far from home, so transport to and from is quite expensive.

Leicester is very diverse, has a good social life and it’s a good university but diagnostic radiography is a new course there, so they don’t have any rankings or statistics cause no one has completed the course yet. Their facilities aren’t as good as Leeds but it’s close to home and the accommodations are nice(r than Leeds anyways). Also all the placements hospitals are in Leicester area so it won’t be too expensive or stressful.

As it’s a healthcare course and I’m pretty much guaranteed a job after, I’m not sure what factors to consider more or less. I also want to become an ultrasound technician in the future and I’m not sure if what university I go to could help with that in the future.

I am like 50/50 but I need to book accommodation ASAP so all help would be appreciated. Thank youuu
Original post by hannahbbk134
hi guys I honestly need some advice for choosing my firm as I got unconditionals for diagnostic radiography at both.

Leeds is the top university for DRad, has amazing facilities and is a highly ranked university. The downsides is that is not as diverse (I’m a black girl) and it’s quite far from home, so transport to and from is quite expensive.

Leicester is very diverse, has a good social life and it’s a good university but diagnostic radiography is a new course there, so they don’t have any rankings or statistics cause no one has completed the course yet. Their facilities aren’t as good as Leeds but it’s close to home and the accommodations are nice(r than Leeds anyways). Also all the placements hospitals are in Leicester area so it won’t be too expensive or stressful.

As it’s a healthcare course and I’m pretty much guaranteed a job after, I’m not sure what factors to consider more or less. I also want to become an ultrasound technician in the future and I’m not sure if what university I go to could help with that in the future.

I am like 50/50 but I need to book accommodation ASAP so all help would be appreciated. Thank youuu

hey babe, I wouldn't recommend Leceister as they're pending approval from HCPC, it's not known how long that will take and you need to be registered with HCPC in order to work as a radiographer. I'm going to Leeds and I'm a black girl too, the university isn't as diverse as Leceister however according to other ethnic minorities at Leeds it's not really an issue and there are loads of black people you just kinda have to search for them lol. but overall I would 1000% pick Leeds as they're number 1 on the ranking for radiography and pretty much no one is studying it as Leceister because of how new the course is x
Original post by mayalab05
hey babe, I wouldn't recommend Leceister as they're pending approval from HCPC, it's not known how long that will take and you need to be registered with HCPC in order to work as a radiographer. I'm going to Leeds and I'm a black girl too, the university isn't as diverse as Leceister however according to other ethnic minorities at Leeds it's not really an issue and there are loads of black people you just kinda have to search for them lol. but overall I would 1000% pick Leeds as they're number 1 on the ranking for radiography and pretty much no one is studying it as Leceister because of how new the course is x

okay yay omg this was sooo helpful thank you sooo much
Original post by hannahbbk134
okay yay omg this was sooo helpful thank you sooo much

youre welcome x it would be nice to have a fellow black girl in the course
hey girl omg i'm in the exact same situation right now and don't know which out of the two to pick for the exact same course lmaoo which uni did u end up going to? x
Original post by giveonsupremacy
hey girl omg i'm in the exact same situation right now and don't know which out of the two to pick for the exact same course lmaoo which uni did u end up going to? x

Hey @giveonsupremacy

Congratulations on your offer!
Just wanted to offer some advice that could help you make a decision on which to pick 🙂

At University of Leicester, you will be taught by an experienced teaching team whose expertise and knowledge are closely matched to the content of the modules on the course. Although the course is somewhat new at Leicester, however the teaching staff have been teaching these modules previously and are very experienced in their field.

Also, The university is really diverse, honestly its really easy to meet other people who come from the same background. At Leicester there are many societies that are created by students to celebrate their culture and meet others from similar backgrounds. But even as a campus you will blend in so easily with not only having diverse students but also staff and lecturers.

I would highly recommend coming to an offer holder day and seeing for yourself how diverse the university is! You can also speak to current students and lecturers who can offer you more insight into studying with us.

The upcoming offer holder day is on 20th of April! There are many more if you can't make it to this one 🙂

Have you ever visited Leicester before?

Best wishes,
Sumayyah
Psychology with Cognitive neuroscience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending