The Student Room Group

summer mathematics courses?

Hello,
So I have just finished my a levels and I am waiting on the results, to go to uni to study maths (at Exeter). Anyways I was wondering if anyone could give me some links to any summer maths courses, as I want to keep my mathematics sharp over the summer hols.
I know that I might be asking this a bit late, but hopefully there is something available.
Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by geoff.95
Hello,
So I have just finished my a levels and I am waiting on the results, to go to uni to study maths (at Exeter). Anyways I was wondering if anyone could give me some links to any summer maths courses, as I want to keep my mathematics sharp over the summer hols.
I know that I might be asking this a bit late, but hopefully there is something available.
Many thanks

Think it is a bit late for summer school admissions. Things which you might want to do:

1) Ask Exeter what they'd recommend. They may be sending out some prep after exam results for you to complete, just so you don't completely forget everything you've done

2) If you haven't done Further Maths, try to pick some of that up. There are resources online for things like FP1-3. FP2 and FP3 on most syllabuses will give you a heads up at university (Exeter seem to teach this stuff in detail so don't worry if you didn't do further maths.)

3) Look at AEA and STEP. These are hard, but will push your problem solving skills, which is critically important

4) Have a look through the programme specification (http://emps.exeter.ac.uk/mathematics/undergraduate/degrees/mathsbsc/structure/) and see whether any books are recommended for the earliest courses.
I definitely recommend going through the further maths topics!

There's also a book, Head Start to University Maths, that I would recommend.

Good luck with results!!
Reply 3
Thank you! Yes I actually took further maths at A level, and I had a stab at both step I and II but I am using them to practice every-now and then to make sure I don't forget everything. With regards to the summer course i figured that i might be a bit late but i thought i'd have a look regardless. Also contacting the uni for preliminaries for the course is a really good idea!
Many thanks
~Geoff

Quick Reply

Latest