The Student Room Group

advice/help medicine abroad 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Studyingabroad
You are talking as if there are only a few UK jobs available. Currently the UK is hiring 40% of its doctors from overseas. So won't you prefer if those doctors are born and raised in the UK?

As long as UK grads get their places and the EU grads are up to scratch (which I'm sure they are) I have no problem with it.
There was a shortage of doctors ~15 years ago which is why they allowed more doctors and dentists to come from overseas. Since that point they opened new medical schools and recently they reduced the numbers to prevent over saturation.
The number of UK citizens studying in the EU has risen astronomically also so I really wouldn't be surprised if there were not enough foundation places in the future.

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/view-article.html?id=20002743

All im saying is dont be surprised if in 5 years time EU medical grads are not given foundation places with the same priority as UK grads.
The UK has a massive shortage of medical school places, to even fill its own healthcare systems requirements. Having had many experiences with UK hospitals, it's sad to say that a lot of the doctors working have never even lived in the UK before. So in my opinion, promoting students to study abroad when they don't get a place here, is the solution.

Should UK graduates be given priority over them? Well I think a persons academics as well as general interpersonal skills should be the deciding factor.

I have friends studying in England and when we discuss medical topics, we all agree our knowledge is on a par. Studying abroad is one of the best decisions I made :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending