The Student Room Group

Already switched my degree once and i still don’t like it

Hello needing some advice because i am driving myself mad.
To cut long story short i have already switched my degree once from medicine to architecture but now im thinking i made the wrong decision. Not about leaving medicine i know after completing first year i didn’t like it and do not regret my decision leaving. i did enjoy 1st year architecture but after studying abroad in first semester of year 2 i am now regretting my decision choosing architecture becazue i just don’t enjoy and don’t see myself doing it for the rest of my life.

I am just so tired of not knowing what i want to do with my life and i feel there is something wrong with me because i can’t stick with one thing!

I’m now thinking of taking a year out and trying to figure out what i want to do.

I’m supposed to be starting sem 2 of architecture next week and not one part of me wants to go but i feel like i should finish the year before making any decisions.

What should i do?
Original post by N3W
To cut long story short i have already switched my degree once from medicine to architecture but now im thinking i made the wrong decision. Not about leaving medicine i know after completing first year i didn’t like it and do not regret my decision leaving. i did enjoy 1st year architecture but after studying abroad in first semester of year 2 i am now regretting my decision choosing architecture becazue i just don’t enjoy and don’t see myself doing it for the rest of my life.

I am just so tired of not knowing what i want to do with my life and i feel there is something wrong with me because i can’t stick with one thing!

I’m now thinking of taking a year out and trying to figure out what i want to do.

I’m supposed to be starting sem 2 of architecture next week and not one part of me wants to go but i feel like i should finish the year before making any decisions.

What should i do?

You need to think carefully about how you would fund another degree if you do drop out as you will have had three years of previous study. The student finance calculation would be:

Length of new course + 1 - years of previous study

For a three-year course it would be 3 + 1 - 3 = 1 year. You would need to fund the first two years of a new course.

There are some courses that are exempt from previous study rules, such as the allied health professions, nursing, midwifery, etc.

You don't have to pursue architecture with an architecture degree. You could apply to graduate employment schemes at the end of your undergaduate course.
Original post by N3W

What should i do?

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling this way. Just know there is nothing wrong with you! Many people change their path multiple times throughout their lives, so this is totally normal.

I'd strongly recommend you talk to your personal tutor, another member of staff (such as well-being or career services), and/or your family. These are all people who can help you to lay out your options, next steps, and make it a little clearer on the decision you'd like to make. Just remember that it is your decision - do what feels right for you!

A degree could help open a lot of doors, even if this isn't something you specifically see yourself doing in the future. Could you see yourself finishing this degree and going into another field? Did studying abroad open your eyes to what else is out there for you? If so, what do you think that could be? Gap years are a great way to give yourself time to consider things - but you'll need a plan to make the most of it. It might turn out that going through university isn't something for you, which is okay too.

Decisions like this can be and do feel big, but remember to take care of yourself first. Reach out for support where you need it, and don't worry if your path doesn't look like someone else's!

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-Year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Original post by N3W

What should i do?

Hi @N3W ,

It sounds like you have been having a hard time lately and not knowing what you want to do can be really stressful.

I would suggest as others have done, to talk to your tutors and get their advice on your situation. They will also be able to discuss your grades etc with you and see how you are getting on and their opinion on you dropping out vs carrying on the course. If you have an academic advisor as well, this can be really helpful to schedule a meeting with them as they can give good advice about your university experience too.

I would also say it is worth considering the student finance aspect. As has been explained, if you swap courses and start again in first year, you will likely not get the funding to finish your course and will have to fund the last (or last two) years yourself. This is a big financial ask and this may make up your mind on whether to swap courses or not as it depends if this is something you would be able to afford.

Also, having a degree is really worth it. Even if it is in something which you aren't particularly bothered about, you still have the degree and in the future there may be the option to do a conversion course and study something for a year which you are more interested in.

I would say to definitely talk to your tutors and see what they have to say on the situation. It's valso worth thinking about whether you aren't enjoying the course or if it is a case of uni not being for you as if this is the case then swapping courses will likely not solve your problem. Talk to your family too as they know you well so may have some useful advice too!

I hope some of this helps,
Lucy - SHU student ambassador.
good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending