The Student Room Group

Think twice about applying abroad for medicine!!!**

Hi guys! Apologies for this being long but PLEASE I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! READ THIS!! AS MANY OF YOU ARE SEEKING TO STUDY MED!!

I am writing this blog to make sure that many of you do not make the mistake I made which has costed me a lot of money and time.

I was an aspiring medic, unable to gain admission in the U.K, I decided to consider looking at options abroad. Being a graduate already, I was enticed by the idea of studying at an institution that would enable me to complete my med degree within 4 years of study to allow me to come back to the U.K to take the UKMLA and hopefully become a doctor.

Now here's where it gets interesting... I contacted an agency (not hard to guess which one), and they recommended me these particular universities and advertised how these universities are ideal for me to study, how cheap living costs are as well as being a 'top institution'. Being naive, I decided to register for this, completed all the payments etc.

Then NEWSFLASH!! This university was listed by the General Medical Council as a university that they may/may not accept. This basically meant that if I was to conclude my degree, there is a good chance that I may not be able to register as a medical doctor in the U.K.

Due to this, I rang my agency asking for assistance and demanding an explanation, in which they was unwilling to help. Tried to claim a refund which they refused to give back. Soon as they have your money that's all that matters to them. Because of this, my mental health was affected as well as my finances were.

I know many of you are wanting to become doctors and may have been unsuccessful in gaining admission in the U.K.

The point of this post is, DO NOT LISTEN to the agencies that are trying to sell you a dream. If you are looking to study medicine abroad, do your own research, look at medical schools that already have successfully registered many students into the U.K (Bulgaria etc.) rather than the ones recommended by the agency and offering you false narratives. It is fine to use these agencies BUT ONLY if they can help you gain admission to the universities that already have a good, longstanding, track record of helping U.K students register with the GMC.

JUST REMEMBER IF SOMEONE IS TELLING YOU THAT YOU CAN DO YOUR MED DEGREE WITHIN 3/4 YEARS ABROAD AT A PLACE & A UNI THAT YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF AND THEY SAY IT'S FULLY LEGIT... IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE RIGHT??.... IN REALITY... IT AIN'T TRUE!!

Do your research guys and hopefully you won't make the same mistake I did :smile:
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by YourRoganJosh
Hi guys! Apologies for this being long but PLEASE I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! READ THIS!! AS MANY OF YOU ARE SEEKING TO STUDY MED!!

I am writing this blog to make sure that many of you do not make the mistake I made which has costed me a lot of money and time.

I was an aspiring medic, unable to gain admission in the U.K, I decided to consider looking at options abroad. Being a graduate already, I was enticed by the idea of studying at an institution that would enable me to complete my med degree within 4 years of study to allow me to come back to the U.K to take the UKMLA and hopefully become a doctor.

Now here's where it gets interesting... I contacted an agency (not hard to guess which one), and they recommended me these particular universities and advertised how these universities are ideal for me to study, how cheap living costs are as well as being a 'top institution'. Being naive, I decided to register for this, completed all the payments etc.

Then NEWSFLASH!! This university was listed by the General Medical Council as a university that they may/may not accept. This basically meant that if I was to conclude my degree, there is a good chance that I may not be able to register as a medical doctor in the U.K.

Due to this, I rang my agency asking for assistance and demanding an explanation, in which they was unwilling to help. Tried to claim a refund which they refused to give back. Soon as they have your money that's all that matters to them. Because of this, my mental health was affected as well as my finances were.

I know many of you are wanting to become doctors and may have been unsuccessful in gaining admission in the U.K.

The point of this post is, DO NOT LISTEN to the agencies that are trying to sell you a dream. If you are looking to study medicine abroad, do your own research, look at medical schools that already have successfully registered many students into the U.K (Bulgaria etc.) rather than the ones recommended by the agency and offering you false narratives. It is fine to use these agencies BUT ONLY if they can help you gain admission to the universities that already have a good, longstanding, track record of helping U.K students register with the GMC.

JUST REMEMBER IF SOMEONE IS TELLING YOU THAT YOU CAN DO YOUR MED DEGREE WITHIN 3/4 YEARS ABROAD AT A PLACE & A UNI THAT YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF AND THEY SAY IT'S FULLY LEGIT... IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE RIGHT??.... IN REALITY... IT AIN'T TRUE!!

Do your research guys and hopefully you won't make the same mistake I did :smile:

lol man ended up at New vision uni
Nope, not at New Vision Uni :smile:
Original post by BeastModeTrain
lol man ended up at New vision uni
Original post by YourRoganJosh
Nope, not at New Vision Uni :smile:

I nearly ended up at European University In Georgia, I was supposed to go there in March but a few months ago I saw them on the grey list of GMC. The agency during whole process was badmouthing new vision for being in that list that European university is a safe option now they say it’s not bad, it’s an old applicant that got rejected.

If a uni doesn’t directly accept you then it’s a major red flag. Polish universities are good in that regard but extremely expensive tuition fees.
Original post by AlexTail
I nearly ended up at European University In Georgia, I was supposed to go there in March but a few months ago I saw them on the grey list of GMC. The agency during whole process was badmouthing new vision for being in that list that European university is a safe option now they say it’s not bad, it’s an old applicant that got rejected.

If a uni doesn’t directly accept you then it’s a major red flag. Polish universities are good in that regard but extremely expensive tuition fees.

Yep, agencies will do that, bad mouth other universities and agencies but boast their own partner universities. That particular agency is known for scamming a lot of students, look at the whole Ukraine saga that went on.

Polish, Bulgarian, Italian, Spanish etc, these universities although are more expensive, you can at least guarantee that their whole process of finishing your studies and being able to register to take the PLAB/UKMLA will be far more smoother than going for the universities that the agencies are trying their utmost to promote.

You made the right choice of not going. Honestly, if medicine is your goal, if you're unable to gain admission into the U.K, go to a country where you can be assured that you can finish your degree, come back and not have to deal with the whole hassle of trying to get registered with the GMC.
Reply 6
W

Original post by AlexTail

What does it mean by grey list?

Does it mean it is stated under 'overseas qualifications we may accept'?
Reply 7
I’m pretty sure as u long as u do 6 years it’s ok even if u go to new vision university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending