The Student Room Group

Medicine worries/Alternatives?

Hi all, very confused and getting more confused about what I want to do in the future with each person I talk to about it.

Currently: med applicant, received all 4 interviews, worried I didn't hit target AAA and that I'll either have to do a different degree, medicine at my AAB uni (Swansea - not sure I would be happy with the location), or resits (really do not want to do this). Likely to get AAB rather than AAA.

My goal (with med/whatever I end up doing) would to work abroad in somewhere like Australia, or to have a flexible/online job that lets me travel ie private 'Zoom' psychiatrist. I'd also like to earn a relatively comfortable amount of money whilst being in a dynamic job that interests me and/or helps people, that doesn't seep too much into my private life (ie a job that's meant to be 9-5 yet ends up being 9-9).

I'm well aware that my ideals aren't achievable instantly, however I want to prioritise my time, family, and money in a fair amount of time whilst having a good level of education. I feel I've been slightly brainwashed into the 'Uni is the Only Way Forward for Smart People' mentality from both my school and parents.

Any advice/ideas for things to look into would be great. If it's any help I'm quite interested in med in general, novel drug development/research and biology.
Original post by turgid
Hi all, very confused and getting more confused about what I want to do in the future with each person I talk to about it.

Currently: med applicant, received all 4 interviews, worried I didn't hit target AAA and that I'll either have to do a different degree, medicine at my AAB uni (Swansea - not sure I would be happy with the location), or resits (really do not want to do this). Likely to get AAB rather than AAA.

My goal (with med/whatever I end up doing) would to work abroad in somewhere like Australia, or to have a flexible/online job that lets me travel ie private 'Zoom' psychiatrist. I'd also like to earn a relatively comfortable amount of money whilst being in a dynamic job that interests me and/or helps people, that doesn't seep too much into my private life (ie a job that's meant to be 9-5 yet ends up being 9-9).

I'm well aware that my ideals aren't achievable instantly, however I want to prioritise my time, family, and money in a fair amount of time whilst having a good level of education. I feel I've been slightly brainwashed into the 'Uni is the Only Way Forward for Smart People' mentality from both my school and parents.

Any advice/ideas for things to look into would be great. If it's any help I'm quite interested in med in general, novel drug development/research and biology.

If you are new to this forum, the best place to post your question is linked below......

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6902612&p=98605329&page=309#post98605329

You will hopefully get some expert insight from doctors and students that will help you decide.
From my part, this is your life and you have to do what is right for you and not others.
First and foremost this is basically entirely academic as a discussion and really not helpful for you or anyone as you're just speculating on your results and you may well get AAA and get into your firm choice.

Also you're otherwise considering some very long term career issues which may well change entirely over the course of your training (both degree and postgraduate medical training) due to both external changes in e.g. the private healthcare sector, immigration laws for Australia, etc. It's a bit like discussing what kind of flying car you're going to buy in 2060...it's a valid consideration at a certain point, but at this point it's so far off and you aren't even on the degree yet that it's a bit pointless I think, personally (as a non-medic I would note!).

Consider also that if you doing the degree and going into medicine hinges purely on these issues then...that might be something to evaluate, because it's a very long road before you get to those. It's all well and good to focus on the final end point but medicine is by all accounts a hard slog (especially as a junior doctor) and if you are purely focused on the "CCT and flee" before you have even started the medical degree then...I think that's something to consider. As there are far easier routes to working abroad and earning a reasonable income than medicine in that case.

Ultimately I think this seems less about those issues and more using those as a framing for you having underlying doubts about whether you want to do medicine? So maybe just focus on that central question - which nobody can answer for you! Also consider whether these doubts are purely based on fleeting concerns about exams which may be completely moot as noted if you end up getting the results you want anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending