The Student Room Group

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned?

I, like most other young people in Britain, have just participated in the annual Sports Day. Being somebody who is not particularly gifted in sport, I have never enjoyed a Sports Day nor have I been successful in my chosen events. Understandably, the prospect of being humiliated in front of your school is not something to look forward to.

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned/compulsory? If someone were to suggest that everyone has to play an instrument in front of the entire school, everyone would consider it baloney. Why it is different for sport, I don't know.

I assume that most people would say that sports day is fantastic for the "together-ness" of the day. However, in my experience, it is remarkably easy to avoid events or the actual day itself. The participants in the races are, naturally, people who are good at sport.

I think that the communal aspect is great, however, I think that there should be an academic opportunity for those who aren't good at sport.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think sports day should ever be compulsory, but to suggest that they should be banned is just silly.
I rather enjoyed sports day at secondary school - we always got to spend the afternoon outside in the sunshine (every single year was beautiful weather) cheering on those who were competing for our house.

Having to compete in primary school was a nightmare though :sad:

Also, throughout the year my school has various other competition in music, art, drama, chess etc so there is usually something for everyone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Suck it up
No! That's not the point of Sports Day. It's mainly to have fun, obviously some people treat it like the Olympics but it is quite good.
If people don't want to take part they shouldn't sign up before! Honestly who cares if you look bad or not because at the end of the day- you will have gotten some points for your house & (hopefully) your form will be pleased with you? If your form aren't then you ignore it! :dontknow:

I've finished now... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey they could introduce new events to suit people like yourself;

100m iphone dash... you have to text a 140 word twitter message on an iphone whilst running 100m in a straight line. all navigation aids must be disabled...

TSR rep-athon. You must post a tragic story about yourself in Relationships whilst jogging round the Sports Field. the winner is the person with the most reps after 12 circuits. a special prize for the most PMs arising.

ipod and spoon race... you have to run 200m balancing an ipod on a teaspoon. all wires must be disconnected.
Maybe not banned. Maybe rendered completely optional.
Reply 6
Original post by the bear

100m iphone dash... you have to text a 140 word twitter message on an iphone whilst running 100m in a straight line. all navigation aids must be disabled...

TSR rep-athon. You must post a tragic story about yourself in Relationships whilst jogging round the Sports Field. the winner is the person with the most reps after 12 circuits. a special prize for the most PMs arising.

ipod and spoon race... you have to run 200m balancing an ipod on a teaspoon. all wires must be disconnected.

Tbh I'd rather do that than the 1500. Too bad I don't have an iPhone... :redface:
Reply 7
Yeah it should possibly because some are forces to do it, there areenough sports as
it is - does it really learn anyone anything??? Maybe how to bite like suarez and how
to get a sweat!
No banning it is silly it should be optional to participate in like at my school, now I'm in year 12 I really miss sports day but at least I'll have my relay on Monday :woo:

Please no! :tongue:
Original post by Skip_Snip
Maybe not banned. Maybe rendered completely optional.

I thought Sports Day was optional? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll have an ounce of what you're having
Reply 11
Original post by karmacrunch

I thought Sports Day was optional? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly not for our school... :frown:

You continue to delight me, Bear.
That amount of humiliation should not be compulsory... I've skived about half of them and in the other half I've come last every single time and gone home crying because people get competitive and are nasty to the losers. Really should be optional- I'd happily spend the day doing exams or cleaning toilets or anything instead.
In our school it was optional. You signed up if you want to take part, and no one was forced to do it.

It was compulsory in primary school though, which I was never a massive fan of.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sports in school should be optional, but not banned. I am pretty good shape myself, so if I were to go back I probably would be one of the better people, so it's not as if my opinion is motivated by personal interest.
I'm no good at sport, but I enjoyed Sports Day. If you make an effort at your event, people will support you, and normally you're not humiliated. It's those who don't try, and can't accept defeat that often complain.

However, those Sports Days where everyone wins are pointless, it doesn't rewards success, and is disappointing to those who actually are talented at sport.
Reply 17
Sports day was pretty much the only day at my secondary school where everyone looked forward to. Those that aren't good at sports still participate, even though they lose they at least entertain the crowd by wearing a turtle costume, 118 dudes and so on.

Do they actually force you to participate?
Ye Sports day was the only day I ever looked forward to. PE was the only enjoyable thing at school. At highschool it wasn't compulsory though you just volunteered to do events to represent your form/tutor group

There were also chess tournaments n stuff which I usually won tbh. Was fun lel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19

I was thinking more along the lines of the mug and spoon race - where the first person to the finish line gets to spoon with a girl platonically for 15 seconds, as long as he understands the nature of their relationship.

This is followed by the hope jump, where the participants see how high their hopes can soar, before crashing down to earth.

Also the 4 x 400 Introversion relay. This can take up to 6 days to complete.

Quick Reply

Latest