The Student Room Group

Mac users!! Are you using MS Word for Mac or Pages as a word processor?

As per the title. Do state why and if you are using both which do you prefer.

Those who are using Word do you also use Excel rather than Numbers?
I use Word and Excel rather than pages and numbers. I think that's because, growing up with Microsoft software, I find them a lot easier to use and it means I can send my documents to others who don't have Macs as well. The package is pretty costly I guess, but worth it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Alfissti

I use Pages/Numbers/Keynote instead of Word/Excel/Powerpoint.

It's a lot lot easier, cleaner layout and not full of awful bugs like everything Microsoft creates.

Easy to save as a .docx/.doc too.
I have both but use Word 2011, the ribbon system is much better than on Pages where everything is hard to find.

I also prefer Excel to Numbers; Numbers is terrible in comparison imo.
Original post by Alfissti

I use Pages, Numbers and Keynote. I just like them and think they do what I need them to do so I don't really care about changing it.
Reply 6
Original post by JayJay-C19
I use Pages, Numbers and Keynote. I just like them and think they do what I need them to do so I don't really care about changing it.

I either use Pages or LaTeX\LaTeX.
Pages, was far cheaper than buying MS Office for MAC (Home and Student edition).
Pages forever and always. I have Word 2008 installed for when I need to open .doc files but Pages and the rest of the iWork suite works so much better than Office for OSX that it's a no brainer imo. If Office on macs was as good as it was on Windows I'd consider it worth the money
I prefer MS Office. Not that I wish to imply I paid any money for it.

LibreOffice is a nice alternative for anyone still lacking a decent word processor.
Pages, Excel and Keynote
Original post by alexschmalex
Pages forever and always. I have Word 2008 installed for when I need to open .doc files but Pages and the rest of the iWork suite works so much better than Office for OSX that it's a no brainer imo. If Office on macs was as good as it was on Windows I'd consider it worth the money

Office 2011 is much better than Office 2008, I used to use Pages but I use Word now. :smile:
I have Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

I find that Pages is excellent, the layout is fantastic, not buggy at all and the documents it produces at second to none. On the PC-compatibility side of things, I don't actually really have to send a document to a PC user who needs to edit it. Whenever sending my document to a PC user, I export the document to Adobe PDF format, which preserves all of the layout and formatting, and then is readable on Mac or PC. This is very useful, as I don't need to use a third party website to convert from Pages to PDF.

However, I do feel that Excel on PC is better than Numbers on the Mac. Excel can easily make excellent graphs, etc., but then again I don't use Numbers that much and if I were to use it more, I would find advantages of using it as well!

Keynote, I don't really know because I hardly ever use it, but when I have used it, it has been very average. I would prefer PowerPoint for the compatibility.

One thing though: MAC COMPUTERS ARE RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending