The Student Room Group

iPad Air or iPad Pro (with keyboard) or Macbook Air for University?

Hey guys! So I've already been through a lot of iPad vs. Laptop debate chats on TSR, and somebody recommended asking the department of the subject being studied if an iPad would even be compatible with the course, which I've done and they said either a laptop or iPad would be fine (which is helpful but also unhelpful because I'm still stuck at square one trying to pick between them).

I know exactly which Macbook I would get if I went for one, so that is less of a concern, but if I go for an iPad Air/Pro + keyboard I don't know if the iPad Pro is worth the difference between them. However, if having a laptop at university ends up having more pros than cons then it doesn't matter which iPad is better, which basically means I have a dilemma inside a dilemma.

I personally would prefer an iPad, but obviously I don't know what I will prefer when I'm actually at uni, so any opinions or suggestions are welcome!
Reply 1
Original post by nov.ember
Hey guys! So I've already been through a lot of iPad vs. Laptop debate chats on TSR, and somebody recommended asking the department of the subject being studied if an iPad would even be compatible with the course, which I've done and they said either a laptop or iPad would be fine (which is helpful but also unhelpful because I'm still stuck at square one trying to pick between them).

I know exactly which Macbook I would get if I went for one, so that is less of a concern, but if I go for an iPad Air/Pro + keyboard I don't know if the iPad Pro is worth the difference between them. However, if having a laptop at university ends up having more pros than cons then it doesn't matter which iPad is better, which basically means I have a dilemma inside a dilemma.

I personally would prefer an iPad, but obviously I don't know what I will prefer when I'm actually at uni, so any opinions or suggestions are welcome!

Daughter had the iPad Pro plus keyboard and it was a nightmare, at least from the keyboard point of view. If you are going to type a lot the connection between the pad and the keyboard is too fragile and interrupts all the time. Apple were great and changed the iPad and the keyboard on several occasions but the problem persisted so she ended up using a MacBook Pro.
Reply 2
Original post by Euapp
Daughter had the iPad Pro plus keyboard and it was a nightmare, at least from the keyboard point of view. If you are going to type a lot the connection between the pad and the keyboard is too fragile and interrupts all the time. Apple were great and changed the iPad and the keyboard on several occasions but the problem persisted so she ended up using a MacBook Pro.

That definitely doesn't sound very pleasant... I'm still completely undecided as to which I should get!
Original post by Euapp

Seconded. I tried iPad Air and keyboard it was such a clunky and uncomfortable experience.
Original post by nov.ember

Go for a MacBook without any hesitation as it'll be worth every penny.
Reply 5
Original post by Meheraj
Go for a MacBook without any hesitation as it'll be worth every penny.

Couldn’t agree more. The MacBook that my son bought 10 years ago is still going strong and my 2 daughters rejected the idea of the iPad Pro after the bad experience that daughter 1 had with hers. Both Have the MacBook Pro and have never had a single problem with them. Definitely worth the extra money.
Go for Macbook 100%
Reply 7
Original post by Euapp

Apple Air. I bought the iPad Pro with Keyboard and it’s a disaster. You can’t really use word on it very well at all and it’s generally not functional at all to use as a mac/laptop alternative. I sold it and got the new Air and 100%… no regrets
I am typing this on an iPad but would vote for a proper Mac laptop any time.
Don’t forget that you often get stuff like Office 365 from the uni while you are there and I don’t know if they would extend it to an IPad?
They are great for portability but not for serious typing etc.
Reply 9
Thank you all so much! I have definitely ditched the iPad idea, now it's just down to which laptop I should get. I'm considering either a Macbook Air or a Galaxy Book3 360, but any other suggestions are wholly appreciated!
What about getting an iPad Air or 9th generation iPad (no keyboard) with a standard Windows Computer?

i'm not well versed on tech though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending