The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by catharticrelease
Serious question - Citi or Lazard for Spring Week?

Deffo Lazard, it's a stronger brand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Deffo Lazard, it's a stronger brand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even though Citi is a BB?
Original post by sneakbo2
would you apply for more spring weeks if you already have one lined up for 1st year uni

The more the merrier, more chance of conversion.

Lazard is a beast boutique.

If you want IBD, I'd also advocate going with Lazard.
Conversion to summer internship/placement in Technology
+ Re-applying for spring week for IBD next year?

OR

Decline the conversion offer of Technology
+ apply for summer internship in IBD next year ?

In a nutshell, I'm doing CompSci but would like to work in IBD but not Technology

That's akin to saying you should choose Manchester over LSE because its bigger..

Lazard is an incredibly strong house, probably on par (or better than in some cases) with GS and MS.
Original post by lizzygrant
Conversion to summer internship/placement in Technology
+ Re-applying for spring week for IBD next year?

OR

Decline the conversion offer of Technology
+ apply for summer internship in IBD next year ?

In a nutshell, I'm doing CompSci but would like to work in IBD but not Technology

Are you on a four year masters?

If so, go with the first one, try to arrange some (informal) meetings with IBD bankers and try for an internship for next year.

If its a 3 year, I'd still go with the above because its still worthwhile experience - but that's down to how much confidence you have/risk avertedness.

I'm hopefully doing Comp Sci in Sept. so its encouraging to see other CompScis interested in IBD.
Are you on a four year masters?

If so, go with the first one, try to arrange some (informal) meetings with IBD bankers and try for an internship for next year.

If its a 3 year, I'd still go with the above because its still worthwhile experience - but that's down to how much confidence you have/risk avertedness.

I'm hopefully doing Comp Sci in Sept. so its encouraging to see other CompScis interested in IBD.

Mine is three year BSc with 1 year placement (aka full sandwich) after 2nd year. Technically I am still eligible to apply for SW in my 2nd year, since my course is 4 years.

It is not usually the case that CompSci-ers is trying for IBD since bulge-bracket banks loves to hire CompSci-ers / STEM for Technology so much (sometimes to the point they gave out offers to people done terribly badly in group exercise / presentation). And they either love start-ups, hate large corporations (lol) or indifferent to IB / IBD / finance.

Anyway thanks for your opinion :smile:
That's akin to saying you should choose Manchester over LSE because its bigger..

Lazard is an incredibly strong house, probably on par (or better than in some cases) with GS and MS.

I would add the cavaet of the fact that in terms of 'exit opps'/building your network BBs are a better bet than boutiques. i.e (Goldman and MS hands down open more doors when your eye starts wandering to the exit/ regardless of whether Lazard are getting high quality deal flow in XYZ group. Also add that the Lazard is probably a little notch below its counterpart in the states.

first year of Lazard's programme so it could be awful or it could be a genuine pipeline for summer recruitment.
(edited 9 years ago)
So I don't have a spring week but I'm thinking of reapplying this time round. I'm applying to be VP of a society at university but if not, I'll probably be something like Secretary (committee members are my friends so if I don't get VP, I'll get that haha)? I don't have any relevant work lined up for the summer; what do you think is good work experience? I think it's too late to get relevant work experience.
I'm definitely going to be more involved in ECs next year, haha. Should have joined my uni's Investment Society as it's relatively new and committee positions were empty. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yl95
So I don't have a spring week but I'm thinking of reapplying this time round. I'm applying to be VP of a society at university but if not, I'll probably be something like Secretary (committee members are my friends so if I don't get VP, I'll get that haha)? I don't have any relevant work lined up for the summer; what do you think is good work experience? I think it's too early to get relevant work experience.
I'm definitely going to be more involved in ECs next year, haha. Should have joined my uni's Investment Society as it's relatively new and committee positions were empty. :frown:

Extra-currics if you can't get work experience. Do some voluntareeing if you don't land anything for this summer, a bit late in the year to be applying for summer spots.

It's never too early to be looking is my advice, BoE opened a summer internship, applications are closed now I believe (not 100% sure), managed to get a risk analyst summer gig which opened way back in november. Dig around online, ask people if they know of any spots that are open. BAML also had a summer week, not sure if applications are closed now.

Good luck :biggrin:
how can you apply for more spring weeks if you've already done one in first year? I thought you can only apply on the first year of a three year course
Original post by neji123
how can you apply for more spring weeks if you've already done one in first year? I thought you can only apply on the first year of a three year course

If you do a 4 year masters or 3 year+year abroad/industry, you can apply for spring weeks in your second year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8153
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Extra-currics if you can't get work experience. Do some voluntareeing if you don't land anything for this summer, a bit late in the year to be applying for summer spots.

It's never too early to be looking is my advice, BoE opened a summer internship, applications are closed now I believe (not 100% sure), managed to get a risk analyst summer gig which opened way back in november. Dig around online, ask people if they know of any spots that are open. BAML also had a summer week, not sure if applications are closed now.

Did you apply for the BoE summer internship?
Original post by nxjx
Did you apply for the BoE summer internship?

Haven't we all :wink:

I have a summer offer as a risk analyst already but reckon if I get BoE I'll reneg on that.
Reply 8155
Haven't we all :wink:

I have a summer offer as a risk analyst already but reckon if I get BoE I'll reneg on that.

Haha yeah i didn't think alot applied for that from here as no one has mentioned it. Have you done their video interview yet, and your summer risk analysis internship- whos that with?
Original post by nxjx
Haha yeah i didn't think alot applied for that from here as no one has mentioned it. Have you done their video interview yet, and your summer risk analysis internship- whos that with?

There's a whole thread on it btw. Pretty much everyone here has applied. It's in retail banking, nationwide head office. Credit Risk Analyst.

BAML closes in late April, so I might as well give it a shot haha. BoE is closed. :frown:
I have volunteering lined up starting the next academic year, so should I do some in the summer or get unrelated paid work like sales or something?
Thanks, and well done on your SWs. :smile:

Do BAML send you an automatic invite regardless of whether you've passed or not, or do you have to have passed? I ****ed up in the numerical, think I got about 4 wrong, and it's actually the same one that was in CS's...I normally get them almost all right -- I mean, my strengths are actually psychometric tests...
Original post by yl95
Do BAML send you an automatic invite regardless of whether you've passed or not, or do you have to have passed? I ****ed up in the numerical, think I got about 4 wrong, and it's actually the same one that was in CS's...I normally get them almost all right -- I mean, my strengths are actually psychometric tests...

Uou only get the additionally questions if you pass the tests

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending