The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hmanblackman
36 - After 16 days - average of 6 miles/day
After 25 days - Total distance ran = 6x16 + 9x2 = 114 miles

Then I tested each answer. After 2 days (27 days total) you need to run a total distance of at least 135 miles to maintain 5 miles/day average. That means that across 2 days, she needs to run 135-114 miles (21 miles) but she can only run 8 miles/day maximum so A isn't possible.

Do this for B and you'll find that it is possible

37 - Minimum length that the bird sounds for is 10 + 15 + 15 = 40 seconds
3600 seconds in an hour. 3600/40 = 90.

48 - Found quite difficult but if you use algebra and trial and error, you'll get it. Can't really give an explanation because I'm not entirely sure how I got it myself but try replacing variables with r/g/b and creating equations then substituting 1 into either g or b.

Sorry if my answers don't make a lot of sense but I hope it helped a little.

Thank you that actually did help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Askaud
For 48, I think it's one that either jumps out at you straight away or it doesnt.
The 4 greens and 1 blue coming to 33k, just seemed to click to me that 4x8 is 32. So greens would be 8k and blues 1k.
Then you can work out the change given was (3x8)+1 which is 25. Add 25 to 135 which is 160. 160/8 is 20.

Not sure the best actual way to work out the first part, maybe just trial and error it aha

Yh I understand what you did it seem so obvious now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 302
This time next week it will all be over
Original post by ventus
It moved into a new price category.
So it's:

12 - 7.5 - 1.25 = 3.25

Damn, now it seems quite easy :biggrin:

Thank you
Reply 304
Original post by hoollsss
Does anyone know whether you just get 2 hours overall for the multiple choice and the essay question and could, if you wanted to, spend less time on the MC and start the essay with more than 30 minutes left?
Or do you have the allotted 90 mins for MC and then can only start the essay with 30 minutes left?

Don't think anyone answered this yet...You don't get given the essay questions until the 90 minute multi choice is up. It's basically like 2 separate exams that run one after the other
Original post by Mountainwolf
37 Maggie is preparing 300 information packs so that she can respond to enquiries for her
holiday cottages. Each pack contains:
A basic information sheet - this is printed on A4 sized paper on both sides
so that it may be folded to form 4 pages.
A sheet with prices on one side and a booking form on the other - two of
these are printed on a sheet of A4 paper which is then cut in two.
An A4 information sheet giving details of some local amenities - this is
printed on one side only.
A single A4 sheet colour brochure printed on both sides - this is provided
free by the local Angling Association.
The local printer charges 2p per side of A4 for reproduction.
How much will her 300 packs cost her?
A £ 15
B £ 24
C £ 30
D £ 36
E £ 42

I keep getting C, can someone show me the explanation?

For the information sheet, it takes 2 sides of A4

For the prices, it takes 2 sides of A4 but is can be used for 2 people, so that is the same as 1 side of A4

The A4 information sheet is 1 side

The last one is not included (free) so in total it is 4 sides of A4 x 300 = 1200

1200 x 2p = £24 which is B :smile:
Hey guys. There is this one question that is recurring with different names and I cannot do it.

On this, paper, 2010,
I cannot do question 30.

The one which involves Fred, Joe and Bill doing plumbing, electrics and plastering and they owe money to each other and it is regarding how their accounts are settled. The theme is recurring and I don't get how to do these kinds of questions.

Q42, which is about the coffee machine and different kinds of coffee and how many different kinds of coffee can be made is also one that I can't do. I multiply all of the numbe rs I've got but I'm nowhere close.
For everybody who is interested in good essays:
http://www.dcielts.com/ielts-essays/sample-ielts-essays/

They are examples for the ielts test but, nevertheless, worth reading :wink:
Reply 308
Original post by haiderraider
Hey guys. There is this one question that is recurring with different names and I cannot do it.

On this, paper, 2010,
I cannot do question 30.

The one which involves Fred, Joe and Bill doing plumbing, electrics and plastering and they owe money to each other and it is regarding how their accounts are settled. The theme is recurring and I don't get how to do these kinds of questions.

Q42, which is about the coffee machine and different kinds of coffee and how many different kinds of coffee can be made is also one that I can't do. I multiply all of the numbe rs I've got but I'm nowhere close.

With combinations you need to identify how many option there are an then multiple it (which is pretty simple for the coffee one). However, sometimes their order will be irrelevant (for instance I've seen a question about different coloured balls), in those cases you need to divide by the factorial of the number of choices you have. I posted a solution to the coffee problem earlier in the thread.
Original post by chughes17
My best score is 49/50 which is 97ish.. But I doubt i'll be able to pull that off on the day. Good luck, just practice tbh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:O I am in awe! If you're scoring around that now, you'll probably be able to get that on the day as well! Thanks, good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by uls1295
Don't think anyone answered this yet...You don't get given the essay questions until the 90 minute multi choice is up. It's basically like 2 separate exams that run one after the other

Thankyou :smile: do you know if it's 2 sides of A4 limit, or 4 sides?
Original post by Askaud
She put 10 litres in as it was 60c a litre and had $6. Therefore she had 15 litres. She drove for 50km so burnt off 4 litres of fuel, leaving her with 11 litres. Her tank is 50 litres meaning that she fills up with 39 litres. 39x50c is $19.50

Thank you +repped
Reply 312
Original post by hoollsss
Thankyou :smile: do you know if it's 2 sides of A4 limit, or 4 sides?

I'm pretty sure it's just a bunch of paper basically. You'll definitely be given more than two sides of A4
Reply 313
I just did the 2008 paper.

41/50

TSA-Mark: 66.3

What do you think about that? Will it be enough to be shortlisted together with strong German-Abitur marks ?
Original post by Agap
I just did the 2008 paper.

41/50

TSA-Mark: 66.3

What do you think about that? Will it be enough to be shortlisted together with strong German-Abitur marks ?

2008 was definitely the easiest paper for me. The only one I got full marks for. But still, that score is NORMALLY good enough I think.. Also my essay will most likely be absolute crap, so I almost need the extra marks in Section 1 haha. You should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"One otherwise" just means that they buy a packet a week.
Because the change is 20% more tea consumption it can be assumed that the number of people also rises by 20%. That's where equations like above come from. E. G. 6/5x=y and x+1=y and 6/5x=x+1 and 1/5x=1 ->>>>> x=5
Agap, what is your Abitur mark? 1.0? Which test centre will you be taking the test at?
Hi I'm not sure if this has been asked before I just did the 2009 paper and was wondering if someone could help me with the following questions: 2,6,20,31,36,37,44 and 48.
Reply 318
Original post by ernstol
Can anyone explain the maths/calculations behind 36/37 and 38 of the 2008 Paper ? :smile:

I think 37 has not been answered yet.
So I'm doing it:

There is no actual calculation needed. Just try to arrange 16 squares in the most effective way. You'll need at least one hurdles only for that one because there should be a single entrance for all of the 16.
All the others should be arranged that most use 3 hurdles together with other squares.
If you try 2 rows with 8 each, you will need 3*8 for the verticals. And 2*9 for the horicontal division. 24+18= 42
Now you could try to reduce it to 41 which would be the only answer with less hurdles needed. But however you try, it's not possible!
Reply 319
How to go about the essays ? Structure ?

How important is it to include your subject knowledge or can you just write a good essay without it ? How important are essays for Geography admission ?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending