The Student Room Group

CIE Mathematics A level in one year

In asking this I am referring specifically to CIE a level maths and not Edexcel or AQA or any other board.

I have read of persons doing A Level maths in one year I.e an accelerated course, in order to do further maths in year 13. I would like to know how does one do CIE A level maths in year 12 because I want to do further maths in year 13.

Also is it possible to do CIE Maths a level in one year (accelerated) purely through self study. I'm not from the UK so CIE qualifications are only available for private candidates who are self studying their courses. Would you recommend it? If you want to know about my abilities in math: I was the third best in my year of 115 students and got an A* in my gcse math
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rjkooljay
In asking this I am referring specifically to
CIE a level maths and not Edexcel or AQA or any other board.

I have read of persons doing A Level maths in one year I.e an accelerated course, in order to do further maths in year 13. I would like to know how does one do CIE A level maths in year 12 because I want to do further maths in year 13.

Also is it possible to do CIE Maths a level in one year (accelerated) purely through self study. I'm not from the UK so CIE qualifications are only available for private candidates who are self studying their courses. Would you recommend it? If you want to know about my abilities in math: I was the third best in my year of 115 students and got an A* in my gcse math

are you in PK or IN???

how many A level subject are you going to do?

If you are intending to finishing 3 subjects. Then you take at AS: Math (AS+A2), and subject X(AS)
for A2:FM(AS+A2), Subject X(A2)
Reply 2
I live in the Caribbean and I intend to do four other A level subjects to full A level (Biology Chemistry, Physics and Pure Mathematics). Pure Mathematics is not the Caribbean is not like CIE Maths as it only covers pure maths.

What I really wanted to know is does one do the A level exam only or both As and A2 exams simultaneously? How exactly do you do a fast track A level for maths?
Original post by Rjkooljay
I live in the Caribbean and I intend to do four other A level subjects to full A level (Biology Chemistry, Physics and Pure Mathematics). Pure Mathematics is not the Caribbean is not like CIE Maths as it only covers pure maths.

What I really wanted to know is does one do the A level exam only or both As and A2 exams simultaneously? How exactly do you do a fast track A level for maths?

That's 5 subject there.
Math FM bio phy chem.
Are you sure you want to do 5?
Reply 4
Seeing that I want to get into Cambridge Engineering, I would need to make a competitive offer (hence the Further Maths). So, yes I am certain that five subjects (or 6 including Maths) is what I want or need to do.

Also I intend to go into Biomedical Engineering which is why I need the three sciences. And I only want or need to do CIE Maths because I want to do FM in year 13. Otherwise I wouldn't have done Maths and would have only done four.

Quick Reply

Latest